Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

James McArthur

Should I be concerned he has less caps in an awful Scotland side than Barry Bannan who is two years younger?

No. Owen Hargreaves played for England more times than Matt Le Tissier.

Few comments from Wigan fans...

As an avid Scotland fan good news to see him playing at a better level will only improve him. As a Wigan fan really bad news selling off our better players .

Of the 2 Mc's, I always thought McArthur was the better player if I'm honest - gutted that he's going but accept that we've got a decent fee for him

I wish him all the best coz I think he's a crackin & under-rated player

Guest LCFC_World

One of the few players in the championship who is a premier leave player. Will be great to have in the midfield when we need to play 5 (against the big teams) . James Drinkwater McArthur. Now the question is.. Do we actually need Cambiasso? I think he was just used as a smokescreen to distract people from this.

McArthur has years left in him and this spell has proven we're pretty short in the middle. No harm in both, surely, especially with Chucho (did I get that right?) being in for the short term.

McArthur has years left in him and this spell has proven we're pretty short in the middle. No harm in both, surely, especially with Chucho (did I get that right?) being in for the short term.

We're only "short" because we've had 3 injuries to central midfielders at once.

Clearly we needed to get somebody in and he's the man, but I worry about us having more than 4 players who'd expect to be challenging for a starting central midfield position on the books permanently when even at home to Everton we didn't start with 3 central midfielders.

There's going to have to be some clever management from Nige to keep James, Drinkwater, King, McArthur and Cambiasso (?) happy and that's before taking into account Dean Hammond who appears to be having a Robbie Neilson-under-Sousa-style unexpected swansong.

My personal view is that any more than 5 central midfielders is a waste of resources and presents an interesting challenge and departure from NP's previous "tight-knit squad" approach. Last season we managed to get through over 50 games with 4 CMs (and a cameo from Danns). There's a fair chance we're looking to end up with 6 for only 40 this season.

As I said, if he's the final piece in the jigsaw that's fine, but IF Cambiasso is to come in I'd have preferred us to make a loan signing to tide us over until Drinkwater and James get back.

Archived