Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Hull Pre Match Thread

Ok I keep changing my mind. Mostly because I can't seem to get the balance right in my head.

I want to somehow get Nugent on - I think he's what we need to link the midfield and attack - as he harries the opposition defence.

I also want Hammond on the pitch to free Cambiasso more - I think Hammond seems to have a positive influence on things.

But the way Vardy has played in the last 2 matches has persuaded me to choose him over Schlupp or Albrighton, and offer even more support up front.

Schwarzer

RDL           Huth          Upson           Konch

James

Mahrez           Cambiasso           Vardy

Kramaric

Ulloa         

Subs - Hamer, Was, Schlupp, Hammond, King (or Drinkwater), Nugent, Albrighton (or Knockaert)

Lets just attack Hull and score a hatful!

I think it's improved mate, with Huth...

But you're right, ESPECIALLY the full backs.

But don't overlook our midfield stats. I think people do this quite conveniently..

The stats (goals scored, assists, shots on target, shots off target etc) are AWFUL at this level. I think Esteban has got three goals..but James, Drinky, King etc have chipped in with just about nothing in that respect.

I think our midfield too, at this level, is very very poor.

Is that partly down to being a man down in there against most sides? Most teams play 5 in midfield whereas most of the season we have played 4 and only recently have we played, arguably, our best two and that has been against mainly good opposition.

Being out numbered must make it bloody hard work for the two in the middle.

It's hard to pinpoint one main problem as we've been let down by nearly everyone at some point during the season.

But I think defence is the weakness. They're the most prone to costly errors, the poorest on the ball and have failed to give us a solid base throughout the season.

I've more and more warmed to the theory that last year was a lot down to how good our attack and midfield was, the fact we could pretty much get away with going all guns blazing at everyone and win because our attack was head and shoulders above anyone else's. The defence wasn't tested as much and having being tested this season, it's generally failed.

No team has a weaker first choice defence than us.

I think that's being harsh on the defence

For me it's the managerial tactics that govern our midfield, we've rarely played 3 in the middle.... focus is solely on wingplay while our centre-mids are often outclassed but always over-ran.

In the top flight you need a DM or 2, it's an absolute key top flight tactic!

It's no surprise to me that Hammond has played in games when we've won something like 14 of our 18pts

Our defence is exposed, increasing the number of players playing there from 4 to 5 has made no difference, they're still exposed.

Packing the midfield, or at least having someone with the dedicated tactic of covering the defence should have seen us turn some of our defeats into draws, and who knows maybe a draw or two into a win

We will see an attacking setup for the game against Hull. Firmly believe that the 5-4-1 was put in place as a damage limitation for the run of games we had. It wasn't so much about trying to get anything out of them but preventing us from getting hammered and losing confidence. The biggest thing we have in this squad, which we have not lost is a belief that we play as a team and survival is still possible. Hound Pearson for the tactics, the line ups, the substitutions but we still have a united dressing room which is huge considering our position and the season we have had. We always show the confidence to take on the big teams, lets hope they don't sit back like they did in the first half of the season against the likes of Hull, Sunderland, QPR, etc.

Leicester 3 - 0 Hull

I don't think its just us fans that thought these remaining games will dictate our survival. I think the players have thought it too... We have stayed within touching distance of survival up until now and that's what I had hoped for (at least) at the start of the season.

Yes, after the United game I thought we would be the surprise package of the season but unfortunately that didn't happen.

On the other hand, if we lose this game I can see confidence, belief and spirit being crushed which will in turn result in relegation.

The crowd will be playing a huge part in this game. Alan Young on 100%LCFC had a great idea about getting the atmosphere started at 2:30 so the players can hear it in the changing room... Put yourself in their shoes... It could make the difference. 

Leicester fans creating an atmosphere that's conducive to success?  lol

:nigel:

We can all put up teams we'd like to see but the likes of Hammond and Albrighton can't even make the bench in recent weeks so there's no chance they'll be in the first XI against Hull.

I can't believe Pearson will play Kramaric on his own with a back five with Konchesky and Simpson. The fans will be on his back before kick off and will set up totally the wrong vibe. I think this is the likely team rightly or wrongly.

Schwarzer

Konchesky

Huth

Morgan

Simpson

Schlupp

Cambiasso

James

Mahrez

Nugent

Kramaric

I think it's improved mate, with Huth...

But you're right, ESPECIALLY the full backs.

But don't overlook our midfield stats. I think people do this quite conveniently..

The stats (goals scored, assists, shots on target, shots off target etc) are AWFUL at this level. I think Esteban has got three goals..but James, Drinky, King etc have chipped in with just about nothing in that respect.

I think our midfield too, at this level, is very very poor.

With Huth it has improved but it's still not good enough. The full backs are diabolical at this level.

The midfield, like the rest, isn't balanced. James is a decent player but at this level that's as far as I'd go at the minute. Nor him or Cambiasso are good enough going forward. I know you're no Cambiasso lover but he'd be great in the right type of side I think. The lack of Drinkwater this season has annoyed me. Can't understand how our player of the season can't get near the side.

With Huth it has improved but it's still not good enough. The full backs are diabolical at this level.

The midfield, like the rest, isn't balanced. James is a decent player but at this level that's as far as I'd go at the minute. Nor him or Cambiasso are good enough going forward. I know you're no Cambiasso lover but he'd be great in the right type of side I think. The lack of Drinkwater this season has annoyed me. Can't understand how our player of the season can't get near the side.

He's sub every week and pretty close to the side, but I take your point. I thought him and James would cope fine at this level.

The whole team isn't good enough that's the issue.

We can all put up teams we'd like to see but the likes of Hammond and Albrighton can't even make the bench in recent weeks so there's no chance they'll be in the first XI against Hull.

I can't believe Pearson will play Kramaric on his own with a back five with Konchesky and Simpson. The fans will be on his back before kick off and will set up totally the wrong vibe. I think this is the likely team rightly or wrongly.

Schwarzer

Konchesky

Huth

Morgan

Simpson

Schlupp

Cambiasso

James

Mahrez

Nugent

Kramaric

We create chances when Nugent plays in that role, so would be good to see him play alongside or just off Kramaric.

For me it's the managerial tactics that govern our midfield, we've rarely played 3 in the middle.... focus is solely on wingplay while our centre-mids are often outclassed but always over-ran.

It's no surprise to me that Hammond has played in games when we've won something like 14 of our 18pts

Our defence is exposed, increasing the number of players playing there from 4 to 5 has made no difference, they're still exposed.

Packing the midfield, or at least having someone with the dedicated tactic of covering the defence should have seen us turn some of our defeats into draws, and who knows maybe a draw or two into a win

Probably not a bad point, but even with five in defence and two more defensive minded midfielders we've still looked prone to conceding soft goals.

Pearson has been the ultimate weak link though I do agree. I've defended him against loads of people for years but he's made so many blunders this year it's unreal.

He's sub every week and pretty close to the side, but I take your point. I thought him and James would cope fine at this level.

How many teams upon promotion pretty much freeze out their player of the season? If he's started ten games this season I will be amazed. It hints to me a change of direction in how we're trying to play and it's quite evidently backfired.

Tactics for me

Drinkwater & James were great last season playing from box-to-box, both were at their best in the opposition half though

I thought the signing of Cambiasso, a defensive mid... would mean we would switch to a 3 man midfield with Cam covering the defense allowing Drinky & James to play much like they did last season, with Drinky & James movement enhanced by the 'luxury' of the extra man, Cambiasso would have had loads of options to play the ball out from the back, especially with two widemen too

For some reason we've never played this way and we've almost always played a 2 man centre mid which has left us horribly exposed leading to too much pressure on our backline where at this level mistakes get punished

I posed a variant of this question in the 'enough is enough' thread.

very unfair on a 34 year old legend of the game. He should be enjoying his final few seasons.

Then he should have gone to the MLS circus.

I've never really agreed.

Our defence isn't good....but it's been made to look worse because our strikers have been crap, our midfield is poor at this level and we've not defended (or attacked well) as a team.

Whilst the defence has been roundly slated, the attack mullered too, our midfield has gotten away scot-free this season IMO.

The whole team has been pants as has Nigel.

God knows how we still have a chance..but we do, starting Sat.

Basically we're a little weak in all areas. Needed a "huth" level player for GK, Defence, Midfield and attack at the beginning of the season.

My team would be:
-------------------- Hamer ----------------------
------------ Was - Upson - Huth --------------
RDL/Simpson ------------------------ Schlupp
--------- James - Ham - Cambi --------------
---------------- Mahrez---------------------------
----------------------- Kramaric -----------------

This is a really narrow team, but I think it would mean that Kramaric would get through balls, which I think he would work off better than him trying to get on crosses.

Or:

-- Simpson -- Was -- Huth -- Konch ----- 

----------------- Hammond--------------------- 

-- Albrighton --- Cambiasso --- Mahrez ---
---------------- Nugent--------------------------
----------------------- Kramaric ----------------

Ulloa, Vardy and Schlupp to come on and make positive impacts.

Schwarzer

Wasilewski  Huth   Upson

De Laet                                      Schlupp

Cambiasso   James

Albrighton                               Mahrez

Kramaric 

Subs: Hamer, Wasilewski, Drinkwater, Knockaert, Nugent, Vardy, Ulloa 

Basically the same team as the one that played against City, a game in which we played well enough to beat a team of Hull's standing. Only changes I'd like to see are switching the full backs for more attacking wing back versions with pace and bringing Albrighton in to accommodate for Schlupp dropping to the LWB. Wouldn't be object to seeing Knockaert in for Albrighton (Although it seems NP will never allow that) or even Kramaric playing there, with Ulloa up top. Bench should contain attacking options who can change a game through pace or skill too.

Massive game, we need to attack them and get a result. 3 points = we have a chance. 1 point or, god forbid, 0 points = season over.

I've been in complete agreement with you on this for the whole season.

I've not understood Pearson's tactics really.

The one formation I'd play (3 in the middle with one behind the other two as a DM) he's not played once I don't think?

Like Lennon under MON, having such a player frees up the others as a better attacking unit. It's actually NOT a defensive formation.

I've been in complete agreement with you on this for the whole season.

I've not understood Pearson's tactics really.

The one formation I'd play (3 in the middle with one behind the other two as a DM) he's not played once I don't think?

Like Lennon under MON, having such a player frees up the others as a better attacking unit. It's actually NOT a defensive formation.

Agreed.

The 5 - 4 - 1 is starting to look like a 4 - 5 - 1 when one of the CBs (usually Upson) sprints out to pick up the opposition CAM where someone like Hammond would be anyway.

If Pearson isn't confident of Hammond doing the role well, which I think he can in this situation, then it should be Cambiasso behind Drinky / James, that way at least Cambiasso can look ahead with vision sitting deep a la Gerrard.

I do however think Pearson will go 4 - 4 - 2 for the Hull game, staring Nugent instead of Upson.

..........................................................................KASPER..................................................................................................

...........................................HUTH.....................UPSON...........................WASYL.............................................................

A                                                                                                                                             A

I                                                                                                                                              I

...............RDL.................................................................................................................................SCHLUPP....................

.................I.....................CAMBIASSO.............HAMMOND...................JAMES.....................................I............................

I                                                                                                                                               I

V                                                                                                                                             V

........................................................................MAHREZ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

............................................................................KRAMARIC..............................................................................................

My team would be:

------------ Was - Upson - Huth --------------

RDL/Simpson ------------------------ Schlupp

--------- James - Ham - Cambi --------------

---------------- Mahrez---------------------------

----------------------- Kramaric -----------------

This is a really narrow team, but I think it would mean that Kramaric would get through balls, which I think he would work off better than him trying to get on crosses.

Or:

-- Simpson -- Was -- Huth -- Konch ----- 

----------------- Hammond--------------------- 

-- Albrighton --- Cambiasso --- Mahrez ---

---------------- Nugent--------------------------

----------------------- Kramaric ----------------

Ulloa, Vardy and Schlupp to come on and make positive impacts.

I like your team at the bottom, minor Simpson I'd have De Laet there instead. 

Archived