Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Pokemon

Decent size pond there and a lot of grass too so could be good

I've got to the stage where I can fly up the levels if I play my cards right, waiting to fill my inventory full of Pigeons and get a lucky egg. There's enough places throwing lures so that bit will be fine, saw Maryland was lit up at 4am last night lol

Just now, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Weedle? I got a Weedle in an egg. I'd rather have just kept the egg

lol

i got a bellsprout and a diglett both about 20 xp. feel cheated tbh i don't leave the house for this shit. 

Just now, ScouseFox said:

lol

i got a bellsprout and a diglett both about 20 xp. feel cheated tbh i don't leave the house for this shit. 

I need a Diglett. I didn't need a 10th Weedle no one does, I think you need to be more grateful in these testing times

Just now, Samilktray said:

Got Pikachu in an egg yesterday

yeah someone in work got one yesterday was well upset. pikachu an squirtle are the ones i want most, especially now i already got me a jigglypuff. my squirtle count is seen 3, app crashed 3 times, caught 0.

Just now, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I need a Diglett. I didn't need a 10th Weedle no one does, I think you need to be more grateful in these testing times

i already had one. i'd probably have been a bit excited if it was a new diglett but come on, two digletts? both on literally the lowest xp possible? been had off here.

I can't work out if everyone is being really ironic in here, or people are actually running around chasing electronic animals that don't exist?

Each to their own and all that, but this is a bit like thrash metal... I see people liking it, but I just can't quite understand why.

Are people doing this for more exercise, is that supposed to be the big selling point?

Well, well, well

When you hit level 20 :-

Pokestops stop giving you pokeballs

Pokemon take 5+ balls to catch each, if you are lucky, even the really terrible pokemon you catch for fun when you start playing

It basically forces you to pay real money for pokeballs if you want to carry on playing past level 20

That's me deleting the app then, seems like this game is a typical mobile pay to win cash grab, we just had to wait for people to level up enough to see

Edited by MrSpaM

6 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

people are doing it cos it's fun

Do you have to pay for it, or is it a give away?

Or do they make money by having people pay to have xxxx Pokemon outside their shop, driving hoards of people to their door? That would be pretty bloody clever marketing if that's how the monetise it.

"come and catch a snaggle wazzle here... and buy a bucket of chicken at the same time".

Edited by Babylon

Just now, Babylon said:

Do you have to pay for it, or is it a give away?

Or do they make money by having people pay to have xxxx Pokemon outside their shop, driving hoards of people to their door? That would be pretty bloody clever marketing if that's how the monetise it.

it's free to download and free to play, but you can buy add ons. same as when you collect footy stickers, you could just buy them all online and win but that's not fun. 

i'm not sure how the pokestops/gyms etc are planned, i'm not sure you pay for them to be by you though, ie. there's one by me that's just a wall that says "graffiti on a wall" or something. not sure anyone's gone to nintendo and paid a lot of money for people to stand by a pretty badly graffitied wall lol. 

first day of the season is gonna be funny if this is still great fun, there will be a lot of people playing it in the ground. 

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

i'm not sure how the pokestops/gyms etc are planned, i'm not sure you pay for them to be by you though, ie. there's one by me that's just a wall that says "graffiti on a wall" or something. not sure anyone's gone to nintendo and paid a lot of money for people to stand by a pretty badly graffitied wall lol. 

I'd imagine it's something they will do, start out with it being in random places. It takes off and becomes massive, people would pay a fortune to get the foot fall to their door.

If nintendo haven't thought about it, they need me in their marketing team :D

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

first day of the season is gonna be funny if this is still great fun, there will be a lot of people playing it in the ground. 

First game in Hull, you could probably mistake a local for a pokemon.

096.gif

29 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Well, well, well

When you hit level 20 :-

Pokestops stop giving you pokeballs

Pokemon take 5+ balls to catch each, if you are lucky, even the really terrible pokemon you catch for fun when you start playing

It basically forces you to pay real money for pokeballs if you want to carry on playing past level 20

That's me deleting the app then, seems like this game is a typical mobile pay to win cash grab, we just had to wait for people to level up enough to see

Anyone else had this? Do they break free or do you keep on missing?

Seems a bit of an obvious ploy, but then they have to make money from it somehow. If it is the case then I imagine there will be more outrage on the net.

My take on it: I downloaded it at the weekend to see what the fuss was all about, I was surprised by just how many Pokémon there are and how easy to catch them. I am in London and there are Pokestops and Gyms and Pokémon everywhere. Almost too many to make it any sort of challenge to hunt them down. I imagine they will start reducing the number at some point, or make you wait longer at pokestops. I just sat in a park on my lunch and caught 6 without really trying, it actually got boring responding to my phone every few minutes to catch a wild pidgey. If I wanted to I could spend all day walking around and get hundreds. I'm not going to do that, but if I was to continue playing I would be competing with people that will or people who will happily spend lots of money on it.

There is very little point in going to gyms unless I spend more time effort and money on it, all the gyms I've seen are claimed by people with very powerful Pokemon. If you level up does it make it more likely to find rarer Pokémon, can you switch off the alerts for the crappy normal ones that are everywhere, or is it all just pure random luck and grinding?

11 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Anyone else had this? Do they break free or do you keep on missing?

Seems a bit of an obvious ploy, but then they have to make money from it somehow. If it is the case then I imagine there will be more outrage on the net.

My take on it: I downloaded it at the weekend to see what the fuss was all about, I was surprised by just how many Pokémon there are and how easy to catch them. I am in London and there are Pokestops and Gyms and Pokémon everywhere. Almost too many to make it any sort of challenge to hunt them down. I imagine they will start reducing the number at some point, or make you wait longer at pokestops. I just sat in a park on my lunch and caught 6 without really trying, it actually got boring responding to my phone every few minutes to catch a wild pidgey. If I wanted to I could spend all day walking around and get hundreds. I'm not going to do that, but if I was to continue playing I would be competing with people that will or people who will happily spend lots of money on it.

There is very little point in going to gyms unless I spend more time effort and money on it, all the gyms I've seen are claimed by people with very powerful Pokemon. If you level up does it make it more likely to find rarer Pokémon, can you switch off the alerts for the crappy normal ones that are everywhere, or is it all just pure random luck and grinding?

as you get higher everything becomes harder. i am 18 right now and it took me 5 balls to catch a weedle earlier....a ****ing weedle.

it may be the case with the OP however that their bag is full. you start getting ultraballs when you level instead of great balls and its trying to make you more go from the grind to "defend your turf" kinda mode. by 20 its kind of making you go out and battle other trainers, hatch eggs for XP and hunt for rares more than catchy every pidgy you see. 

32 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

The pokestops and gyms are actually taken from another game they made years ago, called Ingress, which was a fairly similar concept to pokemon go, in that you walked around real life locations to get points. Users were able to add their own locations to the game though, which is where the geodata for this game came from. This is why you see a lot of places of worship in the game as pokestops, because visiting churches played some sort of significance in Ingress.

Now they've slapped a pokemon licence on it, added the catching mechanic and re-released it as pokemon go

25 minutes ago, Captain... said:

If you level up does it make it more likely to find rarer Pokémon, can you switch off the alerts for the crappy normal ones that are everywhere, or is it all just pure random luck and grinding?

By the looks of it, the more you level up, it just makes it harder for you to catch pokemon, up to the point where they are actual impossible to catch unless you are using the 'great ball' items from the real money store in game. It doesn't make them any more difficult to find, just more difficult to catch. Like I said in my other post, by the time you reach level 20, even the most basic pokemon can require you to hit it with at least 5 pokeballs before you can catch them.

It's just an artifical way of extending the life of the game. Slow the progress of your core user base to a crawl unless they pay money, and make it seem to new users as if the game is a piece of cake. The longer you play it, the more difficult it gets to play without paying real money.

Edited by MrSpaM

So as a casual user you would be better off trying to avoid levelling up.

The novelty of the gps and augmented reality is quickly wearing off and if it gets to the point where it will try and force you to spend money to progress I'll stop playing. I would rather games like this just charged you to play and not get you invested and then make it impossible to progress without spending real money.

Do the gym battles add anything for the serious players?