Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Let's give Claudio a chance

Where did I say you had?

If it's so obvious then I don't know why people get so arsey about those who don't 'get behind' someone on a forum. Not a particular criticism of you.

No worries me old fruit lol

I do think a fair few people get their knickers In a twist on here without proper engage brain discussion first (myself obviously included at times)

At the start of last season most commentators thought our team and squad were good enough to avoid relegation. Due to Nigel's tactical ineptness for much of the season coupled with poor team selection we failed to live up to expectations for 80% of the season. Quite how we did turn things around, I don't really know, but the team that finished the season was the one that most of us would have picked much sooner! Despite being the highest spenders in the Championship Nigel failed to get us into the playoffs in 2011-12 (I know he was only manager for 6 months of that season but 6th place not a lot to ask for?) and got us there with almost the final kick in 2012-13 only to balls it up at Watford. Yes, he finally got it right and did so again last season. What I am saying is that he was given a lot of time to make his mark (quite rightly) and Claudio has to be given the same opportunities.

Here here!

At the start of last season most commentators thought our team and squad were good enough to avoid relegation. Due to Nigel's tactical ineptness for much of the season coupled with poor team selection we failed to live up to expectations for 80% of the season. Quite how we did turn things around, I don't really know, but the team that finished the season was the one that most of us would have picked much sooner! Despite being the highest spenders in the Championship Nigel failed to get us into the playoffs in 2011-12 (I know he was only manager for 6 months of that season but 6th place not a lot to ask for?) and got us there with almost the final kick in 2012-13 only to balls it up at Watford. Yes, he finally got it right and did so again last season. What I am saying is that he was given a lot of time to make his mark (quite rightly) and Claudio has to be given the same opportunities.

The only difference is that Pearson saw his team achieving safety in his very first full Premier League season (as a newbie, so to speak), whereas Ranieri will be measured against his previous success at the top level to a certain extent. Hypothetically speaking, wouldn't relegation under Ranieri symbolize a crash of relatively epic proportions?

I find it somewhat funny that some fans hold Pearson's inexperience (and as a consequence, his "tactical ineptness") against him - the fact alone that we achieved safety in the Premier League with one game to spare shows what a tremendous job he did given the circumstances. I would have loved to give Pearson more time to continue to build what was in the making, sadly the owners felt differently.

Also, why do people intentionally forget that the Championship is the hardest (read: most well-balanced) second division in the world. To walk away and getting automatically promoted with a cushion of more than ten points is quite the achievement. Few promoted teams have accumulated 100+ points in that process.

Oh, and as for general media consensus on a team's capabilities: The media and more than just a handful of pundits were also rather quick to call us "doomed" and "definite relegation material" when our winless run continued to be extended week after week last season.

delighted to see claudio at the dynamo game on weds eve supporting the young lads, i think its great for them to have a big name like ranieri in the stands watching them and knowing that he bring youth up through the ranks... ben chillwell = john terry anybody?

delighted to see claudio at the dynamo game on weds eve supporting the young lads, i think its great for them to have a big name like ranieri in the stands watching them and knowing that he bring youth up through the ranks... ben chillwell = john terry anybody?

Take my hat off if Claudio was at the U21 game. :appl:

Absolute tosh, the vast majority said we would not survive, just as the bookies said we wouldn't.

Pearson wasn't the biggest spender was he, that was Sven. One look at the team he assembled and where they all ended up after Pearson managed to get rid, tells you exactly why we didn't reach the play offs. They were lower end of the table quality players at best.

I think NP's greatest achievement was sorting out the dross team "big spending" Sven left us with. To say we should have been top 6 with players / characters like Mills / beckford / Vassell / Bamba is ridiculous

I think NP's greatest achievement was sorting out the dross team "big spending" Sven left us with. To say we should have been top 6 with players / characters like Mills / beckford / Vassell / Bamba is ridiculous

harsh to include Vassell and Bamba in that, both more than pulled their weight just weren't good enough.

harsh to include Vassell and Bamba in that, both more than pulled their weight just weren't good enough.

So he was right then.

Bamba, Vassell, Michael Johnson, Lee Peltier, Sean St Ledger, Neil Danns, Matt Mills, John Panstil, Ricardo, Michael Frigging Ball, Beckford.

Good god... look what they all went on to lol

So he was right then.

Bamba, Vassell, Michael Johnson, Lee Peltier, Sean St Ledger, Neil Danns, Matt Mills, John Panstil, Ricardo, Michael Frigging Ball, Beckford.

Good god... look what they all went on to lol

it was that he specified characters, they both seemed quite grounded tbh, sad thing is they both were probably two of Sven's better signings too. Pretty much everyone he signed in the summer bar Nugent and Kasper and Fernandes were absolutely horrific footballers christ. I don't think I'll ever forget the Cov game, even though we won it was blatantly obvious we were ****ed.

it was that he specified characters, they both seemed quite grounded tbh, sad thing is they both were probably two of Sven's better signings too. Pretty much everyone he signed in the summer bar Nugent and Kasper and Fernandes were absolutely horrific footballers christ. I don't think I'll ever forget the Cov game, even though we won it was blatantly obvious we were ****ed.

Do you also remember the Derby away game, when Yakubu scored his stunning goal, and everyone was purring about the fantastic football we were playing.

As has been pointed out, most of Svens signings turned out to be poor, and considering the money he spent, his failure to get us into the play offs , meant his time here will rightly be seen as a failure, where lots of money was wasted, but we did play some good football under him at times.

Do you also remember the Derby away game, when Yakubu scored his stunning goal, and everyone was purring about the fantastic football we were playing.

As has been pointed out, most of Svens signings turned out to be poor, and considering the money he spent, his failure to get us into the play offs , meant his time here will rightly be seen as a failure, where lots of money was wasted, but we did play some good football under him at times.

that was the season before though when in fairness we had a real crack at getting in the play offs despite being the pits til November

oh yeah, I don't doubt. We definitely played some of the best football I've seen us play under him, but that was prior to the summer signings who were absolutely woeful. Naughton and Yakubu were fantastic loans really, still gutted we never got the former on a permanent.

Which was swiftly followed by a woeful performance at home to Norwich then away at Reading.

And I wouldn't use Derby ever as an indicator of how good a Leicester team is. It's always a win!

Nobody seems to want to come now and Esteban decided not to stay, if he does end up at Villa I think that will say it all

And whose fault will that be? The owners, perhaps.

The club offered him EC a contract before the end of last season, he had 2 months to sign before Ranieri was our manager. Instead he dragged it out hoping for a better offer from elsewhere, just like he did before last season. If he wanted to be here he would have signed, it's nothing to do with who the manager is.

The club offered him EC a contract before the end of last season, he had 2 months to sign before Ranieri was our manager. Instead he dragged it out hoping for a better offer from elsewhere, just like he did before last season. If he wanted to be here he would have signed, it's nothing to do with who the manager is.

If he ends up at villa I think it proves you wrong

Another massive assumption! The final proposal, the one he rejected, was made 24 hours before we found out that he wasn't returning. After weeks of reports that he was waiting to see who the new manager was.

Maybe he wouldn't have signed for Pearson either (though he had signed for him once before, and was still on holiday when Pearson was fired, and had said he'd need time to make his mind up), maybe it had nothing to do with Ranieri (though in his astonishingly successful career at Inter he enjoyed one of his least successful seasons under Ranieri), but to be as positive as you are - especially when he may well yet sign for a side that finished in a similar position to us last year - and without any information whatsoever to back up your claim, is frankly extraordinary.

Archived