Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Monk

Community Shield - Buildup

Community Shield  

384 members have voted

1. 1. What does the match mean to you?

• It's a meaningless friendly but a nice day out a Wembley
    • It's not massively important, but it's mostly important as a benchmark for the season ahead
    • It's a huge game, on the same level as say, the League cup final

Think I'd agree with most of the sentiment - it's a big game but not massive... a good trophy to have and an important kick off to the new season. 

I'm not sure we'll stuff them m4DD0gg, but very much looking forward to the game!

Important as far as I'm concerned. It's a high profile curtain raiser and a game that can set you up for the season. Massive advert and promotional opportunity for the club.

Win the trophy and it's an early statement of intent. Lose but play well and you've still collected something and shown you can compete. There is also the experience of playing at Wembley that might be something to fall back on in the future, especially if you win.

Most important though is the chance to bond even tighter and continue emphasising your intent on winning every game you can. Whether it be a friendly in Oxford or a final on the biggest stage. And for the fans what a memorable day-out is in prospect whatever the result. The play-off final and Claridge's winner was a moment in history - quite unforgettable. It's another chance to make a bit of history to add to a fast growing volume. 

I can't wait. I'm excited as a kid on his first date. Squash at High Wycombe or a game of golf at Stoke Park, decent meal then singing myself hoarse at the football with a bevy or two to follow. Happy days.          

so excited for this!! After being to old Wembley for the playoffs/cup back in the day it's huge to be at new Wembley whatever the outcome or whatever the competition! Beat the cheating bastards then even better :scarf:but either way me and my old man are hugely looking forward to a great day out.

It's big, not league cup final big but we have a chance to send a very big message with a favorable result.

1. Ups the Trophy count. (We're coming for you West Ham.)

2. Wembley.

3. Puts the press in a frenzy that we're still here and big club reinforcements maybe weren't enough.

4. **** Mourinho.

5. **** Zlatan.

4 hours ago, Harry - LCFC said:

I'd rank it at as moderately more competitive that your average friendly. It's something of a competition and so it would be something of an accolade to win, but I'd definitely take three points against Hull if given forced to choose.

Agreed. Would anyone take a loss again United in the league if it means we win the shield? I wouldn't.

Suppose it'd be another honour on our wiki page.

4 minutes ago, Watson said:

Agreed. Would anyone take a loss again United in the league if it means we win the shield? I wouldn't.

I'll get shot down here, but personally I'd take a loss at OT in the league if it meant we won the Charity Shield. We may never get another chance to win it in our history, and I'd like to add this to our domestic collection leaving just the FA cup to complete the set. The odds are we'll lose a couple away at the big boys next season anyway, so that's my logic :thumbup:

League matches are our weekly bread and butter, but you get very few chances to win silverware at Wembley. I love it if we won it....

1 hour ago, Watson said:

No but I'd take winning the Comunity Shield then beating them in the League as well.:scarf: 

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I'll get shot down here, but personally I'd take a loss at OT in the league if it meant we won the Charity Shield. We may never get another chance to win it in our history, and I'd like to add this to our domestic collection leaving just the FA cup to complete the set. The odds are we'll lose a couple away at the big boys next season anyway, so that's my logic :thumbup:

League matches are our weekly bread and butter, but you get very few chances to win silverware at Wembley. I love it if we won it....

We won its predecessor in 1971 mate. 

14 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

We won its predecessor in 1971 mate. 

You're right. I should have specified in its current format at Wembley since '74. Although we won it in '71, we didn't qualify as FA cup or Div 1 winners so it's a bit false for me. And it was at Filbo which isn't quite the same. If we win it this year for proper, I'll feel we've justified it this time. 

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Why? I'm looking forward to seeing a friendly in Wembley to celebrate our league win.

I went to every home game and plenty of away games last year, I earnt by day out in London. Doesn't stop the fact it's barely a competitive game.

Don't get all better-fan-than-you just because I think the Community Shield is a glorified friendly.

Enjoyed watching us play Barca, Inter and Real to. What's wrong with friendlies?

The fact the charity shield has been going longer than the ICC doesn't really make it a great deal more boast worthy to win.

lol that last comment must be a wind-up. The Charity Shield has been going since 1908. It's part of our national game and has been recognised as an honour since. 

Don't buy the 'it's a one-off game' argument either. We've taken 38 games to qualify for this, United 6. 

Some bigger clubs may have tried to devalue it, probably as the same teams tend to compete in it most years, but it's another trophy to potentially add to the collection. A collection that NEEDS adding to. That's the whole purpose of football.

This is more important than a single league game, no question.

27 minutes ago, C-man said:

lol that last comment must be a wind-up. The Charity Shield has been going since 1908. It's part of our national game and has been recognised as an honour since. 

Don't buy the 'it's a one-off game' argument either. We've taken 38 games to qualify for this, United 6. 

Some bigger clubs may have tried to devalue it, probably as the same teams tend to compete in it most years, but it's another trophy to potentially add to the collection. A collection that NEEDS adding to. That's the whole purpose of football.

Beutifully put :thumbup:

It is important, much higher profile than a friendly and a great chance for a day out in the Smoke.

Winning will settle some nerves as to whether last years golden season can continue, help keep the players that we want to keep, and attract the ones we want to sign.

In addition we can hopefully put pressure on a Man U on transition and not yet settled to a new manager. Another opportunity to sing "you're getting sacked in the morning!"

8 hours ago, C-man said:

I just struggle to take any game in which you can make six substitutions particularly seriously. Apparently, so does every team that's taken part in it for as long as I can remember.

I'd like us to win, obviously, else I wouldn't be going.

Still just a fancy friendly though. Don't see you making any point to debunk that other than "it's been going for ages."

If you'd have asked, this time last year, every person on this forum their feelings on the community shield then they'd have said the same, I bet plenty don't even watch it anymore. It's shit, is always shit, even the FA have devalued it to the point it's a friendly.

Like I said, I want to go, I will enjoy going, hope we win it. I'm just realistic about it's status as a competition and I don't think that's a good reason to hand over my ticket to some hipster who thinks they're a more deserving fan just because they're taking it a tad more seriously.

23 hours ago, C-man said:

Anyone saying its a meaningless friendly should be giving up their ticket to someone who actually gives a fvck about winning trophies IMO. 

It is totally meaningless. But I am looking forward to it more than any match in a long time.

As someone who went to Wembley throughout the 90's and all the agony, stress and mental turmoil over worrying about the result, it is a nice relief to be able to actually enjoy the day out without worrying a jot about the outcome. Being able to share the experience with my son as well with a nice meal and hotel after the game.

No one gives a flying toss who wins the Community Shield. It's a nice day out, that's all.

I can't devalue the chance of winning a trophy I already have a memory of us winning one in the past and have been hanging on to that for years. There are so few teams get the chance to make the "final", and we've got United at Wembley, a chance for payback for the 1963 final

Guest BlueBrett
55 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I wonder how many people on here would be bothered about who won the Community Shield if we'd not won the League and this was Arsenal v United?

Are you saying that Leicester fans are generally more interested in games involving Leicester than those that don't? Crazy talk.

3 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

Are you saying that Leicester fans are generally more interested in games involving Leicester than those that don't? Crazy talk.

No, just that people should try and be objective about how "important" the Community Shield is. Just because we are in it doesn't mean anyone actually cares in the wider world about it.

It is still only a friendly. The players will not be going at it 100% as they will still be building up to the start of the season. 

Archived