Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jimmeh

St Ledger: FFP is killing players

That's evidence of FFP working well if you ask me. The idea was to stop gung ho owners racking up debts on buying a load of overpriced dross. Now all clubs are forced to consider value for money, it's no surprise the likes of SSL are struggling. He'll simply have to reduce his wage demands.

Parachute payments aside I think FFP in the championship looks like being quite good for the game. The Premiership FFP is a totally different system and so far looks quite ineffective.

That's evidence of FFP working well if you ask me. The idea was to stop gung ho owners racking up debts on buying a load of overpriced dross. Now all clubs are forced to consider value for money, it's no surprise the likes of SSL are struggling. He'll simply have to reduce his wage demands.

Parachute payments aside I think FFP in the championship looks like being quite good for the game. The Premiership FFP is a totally different system and so far looks quite ineffective.

That is a major issue though, the fact the PL teams and other top leagues in europe seem to still be doing what they want, means that the gap is only going to become much bigger between the top leagues and the second tier.

I felt the gap between the bottom PL teams and championship had narrowed over the years but it would seem now heavy restrictions are in place for one but not the other the gap will only get wider again.

That is a major issue though, the fact the PL teams and other top leagues in europe seem to still be doing what they want, means that the gap is only going to become much bigger between the top leagues and the second tier.

I felt the gap between the bottom PL teams and championship had narrowed over the years but it would seem now heavy restrictions are in place for one but not the other the gap will only get wider again.

There is a risk of the gap between the prem and the championship increasing but that's not because of FFP, it's because the amount of TV money in the premiership is larger than ever and parachute payments are much higher than they should be, giving relegated teams a huge advantage. The idea of parachute payments was to protect clubs from a sudden drop in revenue, they need to be reviewed so that they fulfil that purpose and no more, with the rest of the money redistributed fairly.

It's working on players like St Ledger - but clearly not working on clubs like Man City & PSG who continue to spend absolutely millions.

The authorities will let it go when it comes to the top clubs. The top clubs buy the big names, create the hype and maintain the viewing figures. That's how I see it.

I always liked SSL, but he seems to have stuck his foot in his gob this time..

Does it really need pointing out to him that he could easily get a contract at several Championship clubs if he were prepared to accept a salary commensurate with the other players at those clubs?

Unfortunately, his 'Sven salary' seems to have gone to his head a little bit.

The whole interview's obviously been given to get his name out there and put him in the minds of clubs. Looks like if no-one else steps forward it'll be Huddersfield on considerably less than what he was on here but he can't quite let go of his Leicester salary so is just checking there's nothing else out there before signing.

Average player about to sign for average club on average salary.

Archived