Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Walshy5

Are we really any stronger than last season?

Question would you have asked this straight after the united game? No, 

It's just because we are off form compared to how we were last season, Brought in Cambiasso, Ulloa, Simpson, Upson, Hamer so yeah i'd say were stronger than last year, just off form!

We brought in seven first team players (most of them imo are inadequate - we needed to improve the left side more than anything but that's another story) and none of them apart from the Argentines have started more than a few games. We've pretty much kept the same side and stuck Ulloa up front and as I've said numerous times, the style/formation/whatever isn't working. A big man striker replacing the work Vardy put in up there last season is a massive change.

we are stronger, we're just not getting the best out of our players atm. we went through bad spells last season too. if we find a winning formula this season and start playing well again we will be better than last year if we aren't already.  

Of course we don't look as good as we did last year, we're facing other good sides.

But we're 13th in the Premier League, which suggests that we're doing pretty damn well. Especially when you look at Burnley and QPR's start to the season. There is no disaster here, we've lost two games to two sides who are nowhere near as bad as some people seem to think they are. And we've drawn one that we should have won (we very nearly did). But we shouldn't start panicking because of those three games, we're performing above expectations so far this season.

Maybe we should have, but it's better to stick what you've got and subtlety improve the squad, rather than rock the boat like QPR have. Apart from Esteban and Ulloa the rest of the signings were just to give us some depth, I'd argue that Ulloa shouldn't have been the striker we went for but he's proved me wrong so far apart from the last three of course.

The problem at the moment is our good players are out-of-form and our doggo players keep getting picked. It's the opposite of last season when our good players kept getting picked and our doggo players were able to hold consistent form.

The problem at the moment is our good players are out-of-form and our doggo players keep getting picked. It's the opposite of last season when our good players kept getting picked and our doggo players were able to hold consistent form.

Do you think Pearson is picking people based on how hard they train? I've noticed when picking players Pearson always mentions it.

It feels like an 'award' system even though when they get on the pitch they're usually well off the standard you need to have.

Ripping apart Barnsley, Charlton, Millwall is a lot different to Palace and Newcastle, however mediocre they might be. We had games away last year where we struggled to play well yet managed to grind out results with a bit of quality (QPR away, for example). We've only managed that at Stoke.

Ulloa is a good addition, Schlupp at the moment isn't as effective as Dyer, yet Konchesky has performed better than last year. James has been out which hasn't helped as his partnership with Drinkwater hasn't been able to be resumed. Mahrez has been inconsistent, whilst the striking link up between Vardy and Nugent hasn't resumed either due to changes in formation and Ulloa's form.

I think we are different to last year, given the step up in quality and the changes in formation we are trying. Would we be more effective going back to 4-4-2?

we are stronger, we're just not getting the best out of our players atm. we went through bad spells last season too. if we find a winning formula this season and start playing well again we will be better than last year if we aren't already.  

Agreed.

People need to calm down. We looked very good the first 5 games. Now 3 bad ones and people are saying we're in a relegation scrap and we've regressed since last season etc.

We've got the same players as last season - but we've added Cambiasso & Ulloa - both of which add quality to the squad despite form. Ulloa has been our best goalscorer so far.

So yeh, we have strengthened, but Pearson does not know his best team.

We are stronger because we have players like Ulloa and Cambiasso as well as squad players like Albrighton, Simpson and Hamer.

Although the question is, do we really need to be loads better than last season? Personally think that last seasons squad would make a really good fist of this league. But the added quality does help us achieve our goal, survival.

Im going to get ripped to shreads by some for this but i honestly dont think we're any better quality wise than last season. Anyone else agree?

Nothing so far suggests it. We've lost the momentum of last season since the Manchester United game. It's as if, before that,  everyone played to be part of the big one, and now it's all an anti-climax. Combine so many players performing indifferently with so many changes and the kind of tactics which would make meditation seem exciting, and you have your answer so far.

Last season we had back up strikers GTF, Waghorn and Wood. Yesterday, our subs were Nugent and Vardy. We have better and more attacking options now.

We've got more midfield options now to choose from.

The only thing we haven't improved is our defence. A top class centre half who dominates his six yard box was the one player I desperately wanted us to get over the summer. We didn't

Last season we had back up strikers GTF, Waghorn and Wood. Yesterday, our subs were Nugent and Vardy. We have better and more attacking options now.

We've got more midfield options now to choose from.

The only thing we haven't improved is our defence. A top class centre half who dominates his six yard box was the one player I desperately wanted us to get over the summer. We didn't

On the basis of yesterday our subs bench is definitely stronger, and the names on the pitch are probably more impressive (Albrighton, Schlupp, Cambiasso and Ulloa in for Nugent, Vardy, Mahrez and Knockaert) but I really don't think the 11 we out out yesterday is a better TEAM than what we put out last season.

There could be a number of reasons for this: form, lack of playing time together etc but I don't see those problems disappearing any time soon with 24 senior players to keep happy and no clear vision over what we're trying to do.

Archived