Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

Overweight Children in schools

18 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Doesn't help going to a supermarket and most of the healthy food is more expensive than the unhealthy food. What's that about. 

I could get a packet of Strawberries (containing something like 15-20) for £2/£2.50 or 4 donuts for £1.

... Not saying I'm fat there lol Because I'm not. I'm slim but for what I eat it's a surprise to everybody I know. I mean, I don't eat unhealthy stuff but I know I have a but I have a "sweet tooth" (as they say) and always have done. Must have a fast metabolism, I'm a bit like Vardy, but now I'm older I know the key is moderation. When I look back to being at school, every dinner I'd have a burger from school or go out to Chip Shop (in the days kids were allowed out!). Looking now it's a good job schools made their options healthy. 

This is what pisses me off. It's almost impossible to plan a whole week of healthy meals and snacks on our budget. 

4 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Having to adjust around an allergy is completely different.  What we're talking about is lazy parenting.  

When I pick up my daughter you always hear the parents talking about how difficult it is finding food for them to like.  **** that.  I make a meal and put it on the table.  Sometimes my daughter takes a tiny taste, pulls a face and says she doesnt like it.  I tell her fine and to go brush her teeth and get ready for bed.  She always ends up eating her food.  Too many parents go, 'ok i'll get you something else' and go make them a pizza or some other shit.

If you cant conquer the will of a child, you got issues.

lol Depends on the child, my daughter has inherited my stubbornness and we have some right ding dongs (she is 3, btw) 

She once sat in her booster seat after dinner for no less than 90 minutes all over a refusal to say "can I get out please" instead of "get me out of hereeeeeeeeeeeee" ....I won in the end though. lol 

Thankfully eating well and exercise are yet to a problem as both hardly ever stop running around and eat anything put in front of them. 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Doesn't help going to a supermarket and most of the healthy food is more expensive than the unhealthy food. What's that about. 

I could get a packet of Strawberries (containing something like 15-20) for £2/£2.50 or 4 donuts for £1.

I used to think this was just an excuse people made, until I was put in a position a couple of years ago where I only had about £40 to do the shop for the six of us. And what's the first thing that doesn't end up in the trolley? Fruit and Veg, You don't want to waste any money on food that might not get eaten, so what do you go for? Chips, beans, rice, bread, pasta and all the stuff that you know will fill a kid up and that you know they will eat.

It was areal eye opener.

That said loads of people have no idea about cooking and they don't care either and it's not because they're short. They're passing what they haven't learnt onto there kids very efficiently.

Funny how they seem to have cut back on things like home economics in schools when they seem to be more needed than ever.

35 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

... Not saying I'm fat there lol Because I'm not. I'm slim but for what I eat it's a surprise to everybody I know. I mean, I don't eat unhealthy stuff but I know I have a but I have a "sweet tooth" (as they say) and always have done. Must have a fast metabolism, I'm a bit like Vardy, but now I'm older I know the key is moderation. When I look back to being at school, every dinner I'd have a burger from school or go out to Chip Shop (in the days kids were allowed out!). Looking now it's a good job schools made their options healthy. 

17 minutes ago, Beliall said:

This is what pisses me off. It's almost impossible to plan a whole week of healthy meals and snacks on our budget. 

It's not that difficult to eat healthy on a budget, personally I find it easier since all the fatty foods I used to eat:  Chocolate bars; ice creams; crisps; ready meals; etc. used to make my shopping so expensive and so when I started being more careful with my spending these unhealthy items were the first to go.  My meals now almost always consist of a combination of veg, carbs and protein since that's the basic form of a balanced diet so looking at it by base constituents:

You can easily get a good fortnight's worth of fresh veg + some frozen peas for less than a tenner.  For carbs, pasta, rice, bread and potatoes are all easy to buy cheaply, which just leaves the protein portion.  For me this is the most difficult part of the meal to budget because personally I try to be ethical with my meat:  I only buy free range or organic because I don't want to fund an industry that forces creatures to live in inhumanely small spaces amongst many other forms of neglect but I do still enjoy my meat which leaves me in a bit of a dilemma because all the affordable meats are factory farmed.  As a result I tend to use free-range eggs (which don't cost a whole lot more than normal eggs) or Quorn for my protein now since both are far cheaper per kilo than ethically sourced meat (and tbf the Quorn chicken chunks are bloody lovely), this unfortunately means I'm about 70% vegetarian these days but the money saved only buying fresh foods (apart from the odd tin of tomatoes or kidney beans) and not buying snacky items means I have a bit of extra to splash out on the occasional meaty extravagance.

Of course I don't have any brats to placate so it's easy for me to get away with 'boring' shopping lists.

If anyone's interested (and even if they aren't I'm typing it up anyway) I've come up with a great little quick recipe that I tend to make for breakfast, lunch or dinner when I cba with cooking anything fancy and which due to the ingredients costs hardly anything to make, it's based vaguely on a huevos rancheros style dish:

- 2 eggs

- 1 large red onion, quartered then sliced

- chillies (this is a bit of a personal preference based item so just use what you're comfortable with, I tend to use 2 or 3 red or green or finger chilles depending on their size but I'll tone it down a bit if I'm making it for others), cut down the middle then sliced.

- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed & chopped, or pressed, it doesn't really matter.

- ground cumin - I don't have a specific quantity.

- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes

- salt & pepper

Get some olive oil heating up in a large frying pan over a high flame/heat then when it's hot throw on the onions, garlic and chilles, give them a generous sprinkling of cumin, then give the pan a good mix.  About a minute later or once the onions have started going soft pour over the tomatoes, add a pinch of salt and let it boil off a bit, occasionally stirring.  After another couple of minutes or once enough of the liquid has dispersed, use your spatula to make 2 'wells' in the mixture and crack the 2 eggs in and grind some black pepper over the egg-whites (entirely optional, personal pref).   What follows is the longest bit because the eggs will take a bit longer to cook than they would in an empty pan - you can speed up the process by covering the pan, steaming the tops of the eggs - but it's still no more than 5 minutes depending on how you like your yolks.  Once the eggs are cooked simply serve on top of a couple of slices of toast and enjoy.  Super simple, super cheap, super yummy.  Of course like any dish it can be modified to suit your tastes: I've tried adding a bit of cinnamon to the mix which works quite well, especially as a breakfast.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's not that difficult to eat healthy on a budget, personally I find it easier since all the fatty foods I used to eat:  Chocolate bars; ice creams; crisps; ready meals; etc. used to make my shopping so expensive and so when I started being more careful with my spending these unhealthy items were the first to go.  My meals now almost always consist of a combination of veg, carbs and protein since that's the basic form of a balanced diet so looking at it by base constituents:

You can easily get a good fortnight's worth of fresh veg + some frozen peas for less than a tenner.  For carbs, pasta, rice, bread and potatoes are all easy to buy cheaply, which just leaves the protein portion.  For me this is the most difficult part of the meal to budget because personally I try to be ethical with my meat:  I only buy free range or organic because I don't want to fund an industry that forces creatures to live in inhumanely small spaces amongst many other forms of neglect but I do still enjoy my meat which leaves me in a bit of a dilemma because all the affordable meats are factory farmed.  As a result I tend to use free-range eggs (which don't cost a whole lot more than normal eggs) or Quorn for my protein now since both are far cheaper per kilo than ethically sourced meat (and tbf the Quorn chicken chunks are bloody lovely), this unfortunately means I'm about 70% vegetarian these days but the money saved only buying fresh foods (apart from the odd tin of tomatoes or kidney beans) and not buying snacky items means I have a bit of extra to splash out on the occasional meaty extravagance.

Of course I don't have any brats to placate so it's easy for me to get away with 'boring' shopping lists.

If anyone's interested (and even if they aren't I'm typing it up anyway) I've come up with a great little quick recipe that I tend to make for breakfast, lunch or dinner when I cba with cooking anything fancy and which due to the ingredients costs hardly anything to make, it's based vaguely on a huevos rancheros style dish:

- 2 eggs

- chillies (this is a bit of a personal preference based item so just use what you're comfortable with, I tend to use 2 or 3 red or green or finger chilles depending on their size but I'll tone it down a bit if I'm making it for others), cut down the middle then sliced.

- salt & pepper

Get some olive oil heating up in a large frying pan over a high flame/heat then when it's hot throw on the onions, garlic and chilles, give them a generous sprinkling of cumin, then give the pan a good mix.  About a minute later or once the onions have started going soft pour over the tomatoes, add a pinch of salt and let it boil off a bit, occasionally stirring.  After another couple of minutes or once enough of the liquid has dispersed, use your spatula to make 2 'wells' in the mixture and crack the 2 eggs in and grind some black pepper over the egg-whites (entirely optional, personal pref).   What follows is the longest bit because the eggs will take a bit longer to cook than they would in an empty pan - you can speed up the process by covering the pan, steaming the tops of the eggs - but it's still no more than 5 minutes depending on how you like your yolks.  Once the eggs are cooked simply serve on top of a couple of slices of toast and enjoy.  Super simple, super cheap, super yummy.  Of course like any dish it can be modified to suit your tastes: I've tried adding a bit of cinnamon to the mix which works quite well, especially as a breakfast.

Thanks. your subscription to women's weekly is really paying off :P 

seriously i will try that

Kids are fat because parents are lazy shits.

Obesity wasn't as much of a problem when I was a kid and they served turkey twizzlers, chips and all sorts of shit. All because when we finished school we played footie, built shit and enjoyed life.

These kids don't get a life because parents buy them shit like playstations and let them fester in their bedrooms.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

- 2 eggs

- salt & pepper

Sounds good, will give that a try!

18 hours ago, GaelicFox said:
26 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Its going to get worse I'm afraid ....   if we haven't already caught up with all those porky kids in the US of A we soon will .....

It wasn't a problem when I was young as fat kids used to get jammed up the chimney.

Today in the school playground as I dropped my kids off I took the opportunity to have a look around at the amount of overweight kids 

my god what is going on ? 

If Grange Hill was made today Roland would be normal in the class and quite a few bigger than him. 

Its scary and im now of the opinion kids should be weighed and body fat measured and given health passports to help them deal with the issues and parents should be made face up to the fact they are killing their kids slowly ! 

Makes me laugh people complaining about immigration causing the collapse of the NHS well it looks like some of the fat British kids have eaten all the immigrants and they are now destroying health budgeting of the future. 

Its an epidemic 

Does that mean we have to build bigger schools lol Seriously though, the problem is worrying.

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Its very true and very annoying. If i want to get to get some lunch over here i can go to Bojangles ( similar to kfc) then its $5 for two peices of chicken, a biscuit, fries and a drink yet if i want a semi decent salad then it can be about double that,,,

Its amazing just how much of an influence a parent can be on a child.

We Never have forced our oldest boy outside not even once but he is always asking to play outside. He's 3. Now he's got so many little match box cars and stuff like that, so why is he always asking to play outside? Because we make it fun. We have  bought him a sandpit, a water table, a bike, one of those electric cars,  we let him dig in the mud, get soaked through, he 'helps' ,me  with outdoor work, we built a little fire pit and he helps me collect twigs and branches that have fallen to burn in it and we roast marshmallows( his favorite)  and do baked potatoes in it.  I play footy in the garden and he plays for a football team! We take him to parks and We HAVNT bought him a computer or a tablet. We hope to hold off on that as long as possible so he develop a true love of being outside. It's hard to keep the weight on him and he eats Junk food. In moderation.

However i did want to add one thing... Just because your children may not be overweight and quite slim does not necessarily mean they are 'healthy'. Being active also isn't always the same as being healthy., although its a huge kickstart...Children must must MUST have a balanced diet full of nutrients and Vitamins and there is direct evidence to prove that a child with a healthy diet can directly affect their health as an Adult.  Here is one link out of thousands you can read online.. http://time.com/4087294/heart-health-childhood-diet/

2 hours ago, Beliall said:

Thanks. your subscription to women's weekly is really paying off :P 

seriously i will try that

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Sounds good, will give that a try!

Good luck with it, obviously it's even nicer with fresh tomatoes but then you have to get a second knife out (tomatoes are much, much easier to cut with a serrated blade than a flat one - a bread knife will do if like most people you don't own a small tomato knife) which of course means another item for the washing up pile plus you're going to get a load of juice everywhere so screw that. :D

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Good luck with it, obviously it's even nicer with fresh tomatoes but then you have to get a second knife out (tomatoes are much, much easier to cut with a serrated blade than a flat one - a bread knife will do if like most people you don't own a small tomato knife) which of course means another item for the washing up pile plus you're going to get a load of juice everywhere so screw that. :D

I have a nice new set of knives, and the scar on my finger proves it

20 hours ago, GaelicFox said:

Today in the school playground as I dropped my kids off I took the opportunity to have a look around at the amount of overweight kids 

my god what is going on ? 

If Grange Hill was made today Roland would be normal in the class and quite a few bigger than him. 

Its scary and im now of the opinion kids should be weighed and body fat measured and given health passports to help them deal with the issues and parents should be made face up to the fact they are killing their kids slowly ! 

Makes me laugh people complaining about immigration causing the collapse of the NHS well it looks like some of the fat British kids have eaten all the immigrants and they are now destroying health budgeting of the future. 

Its an epidemic 

Do the same sort of thing but with adults next time you're on a bus - its not just kids that are getting fatter.

I also started building the opinion from nights out on the town that on the whole the standard of attractiveness has fallen over the years too. That's right;

We're fatter and uglier as a nation

Hopefully Trump can fix this.

3 hours ago, Lako42 said:

What a strange comment, it's like you had been looking forward to it for a while.

strange interpretation of what I said , says more about you than my innocent observation , yuck I need a Shower after reading your  interpretation :revenge:  

2 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Does that mean we have to build bigger schools lol Seriously though, the problem is worrying.

Seems some of the dimwit comments from others may suggest the problem will get worse rather than better 

you know you can buy xxxl coats for kids ....shocking 

5 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

- 2 eggs

- salt & pepper

Love that would be a cracker when out fishing 

Fat parents equals fat kids... generally speaking (not all). I've seen it. You've seen it. Even a generation ago, fat, lazy, unhealthy, overweight, obese parents, in the main, bring up fat, lazy, unhealthy, overweight; obese kids and those fat, unhealthy, overweight, obese kids will bring up their own fat, lazy, overweight, obese kids in the same vein. It's a social problem. Advertising has a lot to answer for. They promote and push quick, convenient and easy to prepare foods which appeals to, and requires no effort from, the fat, lazy, unhealthy, overweight, obese parents that find even the smallest effort too much to manage. Therefore they will default to unhealthy convenience meals that add to their own unhealthy diets. Even with convincing facts about health and long term dire effects of eating shite, unless society can make broccoli etc more appealing than maccy's. pizzahut, KFC, and the rest, there's no chance of getting a slim nation.

The might of the multinational fast food companies is so powerful we have almost no hope without worldwide government intervention

I largely blame social media usage by teenagers for the reported rise in obese kids.

If there was no such technology features they look at and check regularly throughout the day, probably more of a chance they would take up exercise-related hobbies and interests. :unsure:

12 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Do the same sort of thing but with adults next time you're on a bus - its not just kids that are getting fatter.

I also started building the opinion from nights out on the town that on the whole the standard of attractiveness has fallen over the years too. That's right;

We're fatter and uglier as a nation

Hopefully Trump can fix this.

:blink:

Ignoring the slight issue of him being the President of America, he is hardly a picture of beauty and good health himself..

Archived