Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Vardy is not at their level but what is the point of taking him and Austin and giving them 16 minutes and none at all in the friendly? Why not just have Rooney with Walcott, Sterling, Townsend and Lallana around him as the selected strikeforce?

They might've been out of their depth, they might've added something but we'll never know now.

England are not that good in fact despite topping a pretty shit group the are abysmal, probably the worse England side ever, They have absolutely no chance of winning a major tournament and I can't see why anyone would think they would,

Vardy's age is against him starting out now at international level but if you think Kane and Sterling are some kind of superstars who are miles above Vardy then you are going to be in for a shock when England play in the Euro's, 

Thought the strike force today were abysmal right from the off, we looked disinterested and always second to the ball. Gutted for vards tbh, he did really well to add energy into the Ireland game and would have done the same tonight. But hey were England, as per usual we play players for their name and not their form, it is for that distinct reason that we will never win anything.

Until someone with some balls takes charge and plays players on form and ability rather than reputation, we have no chance of ever playing good football and winning competitions.

Thrilled that Vardy got a cap, but i cant imagine him being a england regular... HOWEVER, he offers some fantastic options as an impact sub and i wouldnt be surprised to see him get a couple of runs.

Thrilled that Vardy got a cap, but i cant imagine him being a england regular... HOWEVER, he offers some fantastic options as an impact sub and i wouldnt be surprised to see him get a couple of runs.

He could play a similar role to vassell did in the Sven years. There is quite a lot of similarities about their games to be fair.

Austin will get more chances in the future I imagine, unless there's a massive injury crisis this is probably it for Vardy. I imagine that being in the england set up alone was an absolute massive honour for Vardy, managing to actually get a bit of game time would just be the icing on the cake.

The starting line up for the Ireland game had to be pretty close to the starting line up for Slovenia or it would have meant the players would have gone 3 weeks without a good amount of game time.

Rooney played some nice balls for others. He did miss 3 sitters though. Vardy could have done that. Sterling had a good game. Townsend and Walcott were Townsend and Walcott.

Welbeck is England's best goalscoring threat at the moment.

Kane is the great white hope but I don't really think him or Ings are up to that much

Vardy and Austin should have played from the start in the friendly. Vardy is unlikely to get another call -up unless he has a great season with a good city team.

Austin may get a call up depending on where he goes and as long as he continues to bang in the goals - which I think he will. For me Austin is more worthy of an England spot than Kane and Ings. 

The problem with England at the moment is Rooney. The manager has to play him because he's the biggest name in English football, but 1 goal in 3 world cups is not a very good return for your main striker.

He doesn't have to play him, he chooses to play him. 

England are not very good and after 20 odd year's i honestly find International football boring, Maybe players struggle these days because you are not being payed to play for your country. Years ago Players would play with passion like Gazza, Pearce and Lineker etc they loved to play for their country. Then you get the perfect example Paul Scholes one of England's most talented players in a Decade but chooses to retire early from International football because he isn't getting paid and can't be arsed with it, same with interviews he would never give them had everyone believe he was just a quiet guy, when he retires he starts giving interviews as long as he gets paid for them, turns out he is just a greedy ****.

16 goals in his last 27 England games.... Hmmm

Against who?

16 goals in his last 27 England games.... Hmmm

That's right, so Hodgsen has to play him, but as soon as he gets to the tournament finals, he's very poor for a main striker, which, imo, is where you have to do it to prove you're world class. Rooney has never done it.

That's right, so Hodgsen has to play him, but as soon as he gets to the tournament finals, he's very poor for a main striker, which, imo, is where you have to do it to prove you're world class. Rooney has never done it.

If that's the criteria they get judged on then, I take it George Weah was never world class?

Rooney will perform when we actually get to a finals and start playing a formation that suits his style of play. Every major tournament we play a system that accommodates the needs of the players around him with him or a system to counter that of the opposition. The problem isn't with a player such as Rooney, but to have lightweight players like sterling, Delph, Henderson and Townsend, no wonder we lack any serious threat and Rooney any quality service.

There is no doubt that Rooney has not lived up to his potential in the major tournaments. But which England player since Micheal Owen in 98 has had a good tournament. And I think Rooney peaked at the wrong time where the only world class players alongside himself are Wilshere/Hart. Look at the England squad, and we have a squad full of bit part players at the top clubs or players from mid table clubs like Everton, Soton, Liverpool...etc. It's not really good enough.

I'm no longer of the notion that England are underachieving in major tournaments. They underachieved between 2002-2008. That's when the England squad was full of premier league players playing in the best teams, at the highest level.

This is the 2004 squad

James,

Neville, Terry ,Campbell, Cole

Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard. Scholes

Rooney Owen

All of those players played for the top teams at the highest level, and the rest of the squad were made up of players playing for the top clubs as well. Apart from Joe Hart I don't think anyone in the current team would replace anyone in that team

We should have won that tournament, we had the best squad by far.

GKs: James, Robinson, Walker (Ok not the best)

DR: G Nev, P Nev

DL: A. Cole, Bridge

DC: Terry, Campbell, King, Carragher - no Ferdinand and we still had 4 top centrebacks!

MF: Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Butt, J. Cole, Dyer, Hargreaves,

FW: Owen, Rooney, Heskey, Vassell

Problem was making them all fit into a shape but **** me there's some talent there. Persisting with 4-4-2 with that squad was a crime against football.

James

Neville Campbell Terry Cole

Gerrard Lampard

Beckham Rooney Scholes

Owen

I'm sure if George Weah had managed to play in a world cup he would have scored, Rooney has played in 3 and scored 1 goal.

Well you've just said the criteria that makes a world class player.... Surely the same for everyone?

I'm sure if George Weah had managed to play in a world cup he would have scored, Rooney has played in 3 and scored 1 goal.

Really. Is that the criteria we are going on. Ronaldo, currently the best player in the world, has 3 goals in 13 games at world cups. Rooney has 1 in 11. Neither record is good by any imagination. Rooney scored 5 in Euro competitions whereas Ronaldo has 6. Ronaldo played in an extra tournament since England did not qualify for Euro 2008. 

So is this the criteria we are really going on to judge the best players. Quite frankly, both would have done better at major tournaments if they were in better international teams. So the argument about Rooney does not hold for me.

The biggest crime in modern international football is sticking one of the best players the country has ever produced on the left.

And really all this well if that's the criteria player x did x. Can spin it any way you like Rooney has always been one of the most over rated players in world football.

Agree with the first bit. Sticking Scholes out on the left was diabolical and that was the reason he chose to leave the international stage...he wasn't being used effectively by no other than SGE.

I don't think Rooney is overrated at all. He has improved so much as a player from when he first burst onto the scene. He is world class, but he hasn't got to the levels he could have got to. That's the disappointing thing. He was better than Ronaldo and a more complete player when they both first broke onto the scene. Ronaldo just became a machine and literally eliminated all weaknesses in his game. He is impossible to defend against. There is a reason Rooney does well for United. It's because the players around him are on a different wavelength and better quality. Even a declining United team are much better than this England team. 

Agree with the first bit. Sticking Scholes out on the left was diabolical and that was the reason he chose to leave the international stage...he wasn't being used effectively by no other than SGE.

I don't think Rooney is overrated at all. He has improved so much as a player from when he first burst onto the scene. He is world class, but he hasn't got to the levels he could have got to. That's the disappointing thing. He was better than Ronaldo and a more complete player when they both first broke onto the scene. Ronaldo just became a machine and literally eliminated all weaknesses in his game. He is impossible to defend against. There is a reason Rooney does well for United. It's because the players around him are on a different wavelength and better quality. Even a declining United team are much better than this England team. 

In the words of Andy Townsend, not for me Clive.

If that's the criteria they get judged on then, I take it George Weah was never world class?

neither, G.Best, R.Giggs, D.Law.

yup some posters take the easy way to, try and justify their negative Posts.Oh and a guy from Leicester, only scored 48 goals, mainly against weaker opposition.

Rooney IS worldclass, not no1, but sees more, on the pitch with the lights turned out, than his critics could hope to see.

Ahhhggg fuk it...if your Brit but not English, then just love pulling down the English top players,

if your English, just a bunch of moaners, who cant see good in anything...whine, whine, moan,moan, yackity critic, because they are basically jealous of other peoples success, and can only chirp out hate against others, who have been given and taken their

chances.The funny thing without these so called undeserving useless players, there would be no platform for the trashing posts. Too many enjoy being negative to others all their lives, to get through their own mundane routines.

Sport is about entertainment, individual needs of skill,at different levels discipline ,high level of fitness, humour, pain, emotions,

some participants, are clever, stupid, wise, dumb, fail, succeed, dickheads abound, but they just mirror the widerworld.

Thats it!!!!!! Its Just like the moaners and negative critics, mirror the miserable joe in the corner of the pub, buy him a beer

give em a subject, put 10p in the slot, they can poison the shite out of a Cobra.

Archived