Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Horse's Mouth

Pearson Sacked

Take their time? There's no fecking time.

Exactly. Surely it would be better to give someone an almost full pre-season to work with the players, get to know them, try out formations and personnel in friendlies rather than throw them straight into a league match?

It's quite concerning that there is no preferred choice and we seem to be hunting for the next man from scratch. 

I'd rather wait another week for them to properly pick the genuine best man for the job rather than have them chuck the job to the biggest name or whatever. dont quote me on this when Cotteril gets the job in 2 weeks though

Baba - might be obvious to them. How would we know?

And I don't know if they're doing a good or bad job MCP - nor do you.

My instinct is that this will get stuffed up and we'll end up with a prize plum.

However I'm open to a surprise.

Based on the bookmakers list;

Guus Hiddink - Fair enough, good CV, can't argue with it too much, I have my reservations though, coupled with the fact he is getting on, not really gonna have too much of a future with us, not long term and stinks of Sven MK2. Better than Pearson? Given my latter reason probably on a parr with a big potential of being worse.

Neil Lennon - No, just no, I don't think I need to explain myself on this one.

Jurgen Klopp - The only option for me, unlikely? Highly unlikely, but the owners have to persue him, atleast give him a phone call, if they don't I seriously question their ambition.

Steve Cotterill - Erm..... :unsure:

Martin O'Neill - See Guus Hiddink.

Claudio Ranieri - See Guss Hiddink.

Roberto Di Matteo - Yeah, I'd probably take him although i've always thought of him abit hit or miss, did well in the lower leagues, did well at Chelsea (But that's a different kettle of fish really isn't it?!), didn't do anything amazing at West Brom did he? (Could be wrong).

And after that the odds are quite high.

So on a whole in the list of 7, there are 2 names i'd take, Klopp who is highly unlikely and Di Matteo who i'd have slight concerns about.

Of course there are better managers than Pearson out there, who we could attract? Who knows. Doubt it.

At the end of the day though we've been doing fantastic under Pearson with progression every year under him, there was as far as i'm concerned no need to rock the boat, if the owners come out and explain their reasons then that opinion might change but until then I can't support the current situation and 'want' anyone else to come in, the list, the favourites certainly don't excite or inspire me, far from it.

Anyone on the last (barr Klopp) is on a parr or worse than Pearson.

So out of interest, who is better than Pearson, who we could attract in your opinion?

Guus Hiddink/Ranieri/O'Neill are on par or worse than Pearson? lol

Heard it all now. This is a manager that has spent one season in the top flight.

They've not really got time to take unless they want to be playing catchup through the season, again.

When did we "play catchup" before.

Don't really see taking another week a problem myself. It's the biggest decision in the club's recent history. No sense in rushing it.

Heard it all now. This is a manager that has spent one season in the top flight.

And most if that rock bottom until someone had the good sense to bring in a premier league defender

Iain Dowie spent more than one season in the top flight, so he's a better manager than Pearson based on that logic, ok...

I would prefer the correct decision rather than a panic one, which seems to be the norm at the moment in club management. They have to look at the big picture and have a long term plan. I bloody hope they do get the right man in!

But it seems that they have already made the panic decision by sacking Nigel. Looking at the big picture they would have already have drew up a list of candidates if they had took a measured approach as they should be aware of the importance and controversy surrounding this decision.

I would prefer the correct decision rather than a panic one, which seems to be the norm at the moment in club management. They have to look at the big picture and have a long term plan. I bloody hope they do get the right man in!

From what seems to be reported, we don't have a preferred choice or even a shortlist. I find this bizarre. Surely someone at the club will do continual research on potential managers- see if they fit, see if they're tempted to join, how they operate- so that, in the eventuality that the manager departs, we can get a move on in bringing a replacement? In the way Pearson and his staff research new signings, you look at the qualities of other managers both in and out of work.

It's been a week and no official approach has been made, no contact appears to have been made, I don't get it. I really want to post on here in a few months time and apologise for doubting the decision, the next choice, whatever, but frankly, right now, it appears they've sacked a manager with no definitive clue as to the next one.

From what seems to be reported, we don't have a preferred choice or even a shortlist. I find this bizarre. Surely someone at the club will do continual research on potential managers- see if they fit, see if they're tempted to join, how they operate- so that, in the eventuality that the manager departs, we can get a move on in bringing a replacement? In the way Pearson and his staff research new signings, you look at the qualities of other managers both in and out of work.

It's been a week and no official approach has been made, no contact appears to have been made, I don't get it. I really want to post on here in a few months time and apologise for doubting the decision, the next choice, whatever, but frankly, right now, it appears they've sacked a manager with no definitive clue as to the next one.

Maybe the owners have but, as they've done in the past, it's probably a 'private' one (keeping cards close to their chest).

Exactly. Surely it would be better to give someone an almost full pre-season to work with the players, get to know them, try out formations and personnel in friendlies rather than throw them straight into a league match?

It's quite concerning that there is no preferred choice and we seem to be hunting for the next man from scratch.

2 weeks between the 3 players being sacked and Nige following them. Why didn't the owners act sooner?

The likes of Southampton keeping tracks on managers as well as players. Hence when the Saints were short of a manager last summer, Koeman was the immediate target.

You really expect the club to officially announced they've drawn up a shortlist? lol you'll hear nothing but rumours until suddenly a manager will be announced. That's the way they do business.

As for constantly approaching other managers while we still have one in charge, these owners have been slated for precisely that in the past, and a lot of managers won't entertain those discussions unless there is a vacancy. Imagine every club was doing that all the time, managers would spend half their week speaking to clubs who don't have a job available. They're unlikely to go along with that.

You really expect the club to officially announced they've drawn up a shortlist?

Yes, if they want to stop fans speculating and creating an uneasy atmosphere. Brentford did it with Warburton. They were interviewing for his replacement whilst he was working.

2 weeks between the 3 players being sacked and Nige following them. Why didn't the owners act sooner?

Because maybe that's not the reason Pearson was sacked. That we haven't had someone immediately lined up lends credence to the theory that something serious and unexpected happened last week and that was the reason for the sacking.

Because maybe that's not the reason Pearson was sacked. That we haven't had someone immediately lined up lends credence to the theory that something serious and unexpected happened last week and that was the reason for the sacking.

Fair point but given that they nearly got rid in February, surely they would have an eye on replacements?

You really expect the club to officially announced they've drawn up a shortlist? lol you'll hear nothing but rumours until suddenly a manager will be announced. That's the way they do business.

As for constantly approaching other managers while we still have one in charge, these owners have been slated for precisely that in the past, and a lot of managers won't entertain those discussions unless there is a vacancy. Imagine every club was doing that all the time, managers would spend half their week speaking to clubs who don't have a job available. They're unlikely to go along with that.

Why not? Say we're looking at four or five potential managers, not name them individually but give the fans an idea about the volume of options available. Pearson was "sacked" in February in the midst of a crucial relegation battle and time running out, surely they must've had someone considered to take over?

I didn't talk about officially approaching but doing research into their style, character, methods etc in the same way you would a player. 

Yes, if they want to stop fans speculating and creating an uneasy atmosphere. Brentford did it with Warburton. They were interviewing for his replacement whilst he was working.

I'm not sure how fans speculating on Foxestalk is going to cause an uneasy atmosphere. The club will go about their business in private as they always do. Pandering to speculation isn't their style and fair play to them, for me that's the right way to do it.

Archived