Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

Martin O'Neill

After seeing the bookies get it wrong time and time again... I can only compare this to Christmas as a kid. If you knew the present you were getting it wasn't that good... If you got a big gift wrapped present the excitement of opening it is beyond belief....

I have that feeling now!! Though, I hope Christmas is tomorrow morning! And I hope it isn't a big present like the ones my aunty got me where I had to pretend to be pleased.

I can understand the scepticism regarding Keane, but plenty of reports indicate he wouldn't come, and if he did there are reasons to believe he could serve a purpose. I've never been much of a fan of the 'don't want this guy anywhere near my club' viewpoint. I want what's best for the club, obviously.

But I am very surprised to see some people, on a Leicester City forum of all places, so reluctant to take on O'Neill. He was hardly a disaster at Sunderland, saving them from what looked to be a likely relegation, lifting them to 13th, being fired on a poor run while they were still clear of the relegation places (and, of course, they did stay up in the end). He did a great job at Villa and would come with a point to prove, and a determination that he didn't ruin his previous legacy. If, as I suspect, that's enough to put the fire back in his belly, then he would prove to be an asset. His time in the EPL at Villa isn't so long ago either (a lot more recent than Ranieri's stint with Chelsea), and he still did a very good job, albeit at a price.

He knows this league, favours our current formation and wouldn't go near this job, of all jobs, unless he felt certain that he could make it work. And, of course, he's the greatest legend in our club's history, so there's no danger of fans turning on him after a shaky first three or four matches. But I've often been surprised to see people on here questioning him so much - calling him a dinosaur, or even down-playing his previous success here (I remember Grewks arguing that Pearson had had a better impact at the club when we were bottom of the league, which seemed like one of the silliest things I'd ever read).

But even parking his past successes to one side, he's a manager who'd come with a great deal still going for him.

Looking forward to frank agreeing with one of your posts !

If there is any truth in the story of MON wanting to bring Roy Keane with him to our club, then i would rather we go for Ranieri.

I don`t want Roy Keane anywhere near Leicester City!

I don't think Keane would wanna come, i'd put money on him replacing MON as the main man at ROI.

I think our new manager will probably come from left field.  Nobody really had an inkling that Nigel was coming back last time (apart from one guy on here I think) and I think we will all be surprised when someone like David Moyes gets appointed on Thursday.

I think our new manager will probably come from left field.  Nobody really had an inkling that Nigel was coming back last time (apart from one guy on here I think) and I think we will all be surprised when someone like David Moyes gets appointed on Thursday.

Wednesday .....................

Martin O'Neill would have to place the £2m, his feelings about leaving the Ireland job, whether or not he brings Roy Keane with him, whether he's in fact got business to settle at Leicester or not, is it right to go back and risk my legacy or not, the £2m again, Geraldine and her health (she did say if you go back to Leicester it'll be the death of me, or at least I will have to give up Twitter) into one gigantic algorithm that will take ages to sort out on a mainframe computer. Expect news around the middle of the season.

:ph34r:  :ph34r:

We had Clarke on loan from Sunderland when Keane was manager. Keane made some awful comments following Clarke's heart attack.

Should point out these comments were in his book.

I thought they (the irish) all wanted him out anyway.

We don't. The issue is a lack of quality at a decent international level. It's primarily made of Championship players and mediocre lower Premiership. MON is in my view at the beginning of a project. He's working with a formation that fits both the quality and strengths of the players available, and it just happens to be his favourite. If I were the FAI I would want him to stay to try build a fairly average but difficult side to beat and to play above expectations collectively, and hopefully bring through and attract better prospects. Time will tell if he's going to be able to with piss poor funding by the organisation in question.

Archived