Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Manchester United Home. Post Match Day Thread 1 - 1

Wow, some posts that are so long they make your eyes bleed, then some bitching and sniping and falling out...... All after Vards amazing achievement in a draw against a v efficient yet mind numbingly boring Man Yoo that keeps us joint top. Shows how far we've come :) COYB

Wow, some posts that are so long they make your eyes bleed, then some bitching and sniping and falling out...... All after Vards amazing achievement in a draw against a v efficient yet mind numbingly boring Man Yoo that keeps us joint top. Shows how far we've come :) COYB

Bloody happy clapper!

lol

Heres one that we had a chat about after the match ......   Who out of their team would you put in our team based on that performance ....  

De Gea ?  Smalling ? Rooney ?   Any others ?    If its 5 or less we overall have a better team !! 

Heres one that we had a chat about after the match ......   Who out of their team would you put in our team based on that performance ....  

De Gea ?  Smalling ? Rooney ?   Any others ?    If its 5 or less we overall have a better team !!

De Gea, Smalling, Martial, maybe Sweinsteiger

Ulloa starts we don't let our goal in. But we may have been less effective in other areas.

Ulloa starts we don't let our goal in. But we may have been less effective in other areas.

I'm surprised that Ulloa (and King) have had so little time on the pitch while Shinji's been such a regular, and quite disappointing in some aspects....

But saying that we wouldn't have conceded if Ulloa had been on the pitch at the time is nothing more than guesswork. 

First the game would have been entirely different and you don't know that The Swine would have had his opportunity at all.

Second there's no certainty that Ulloa would have been marking him.

Or that he'd have done so successfully if he had. 

What does seem apparent is that our defence is looking tight and well organised to the point that even capable opponents like United are getting being limited to very small crumbs in terms of chances from open play.

But we remain suspect when it comes to crosses and free kicks because:#

a) We don't have sufficient aerial players to cope with such localised pressure.

b) Kasper is inconsistent when it comes to dealing with reachable corners/free-kicks.

I don't have it in for Shinji nor do I necessarily think that Ulloa is the perfect answer but I do think he poses much more danger as a striker (and therefore takes more defensive attention) and he does make another competent body in the box (at both ends) whereas Shinji's best work is hassling in central midfield and he's not always especially good at that.

Of all the people available King has the best case.

However I'd also accept that he's probably the best player to come off the bench and help us close a game out or to inject some calm competence when we start getting loose as was so clearly the need on Saturday.

Why Ranieri is so reluctant to use either King or Ulloa and so keen to use Shinji I really don't know. Has he actually watched Kingy's goals video in anything but darkened glasses - or the important contributions Ulloa's so often made? 

Cos I see virtually no chance of Shinji consistently scoring goals from chances presented, stopping goals, creating goals or retaining the ball so others can do those jobs. 

Given points out of 10 for each of those four skills I'd rate Kingy 6.5/10, 6.5/10, 5.5/10 and 10/10 making 28.5/40.

Ulloa would get 7/10, 6.5/10, 6/10 and 6/10 for a total of 25/40.

Shinji would get 2/10, 0/10, 4/10 and 5/10 for 11/40...and I really have tried to err on the side of being generous to him.   

Okay I accept there's no certainty that anyone else will agree with my figures.

But even allowing for personal bias/preference or whatever, they represents a massive difference between Shinji and the other two contenders mentioned.     

People might point to our results this season as an argument in favour of Shinji but the other two featured in our excellent run at the back end of last season too...and that when the pressure would mostly have been far greater because there was no room left for error. 

People wanting us to set up our team on the whole basis of stopping United at set pieces. Jesus.

I would've thought Leicester fans by now would've realised that Leicester have to set up to attack at pace not to try and nullify the opposition( see Pearsons diamond last year!)

However, it is a growing concern and something needs to change, but starting Ulloa purely on the basis that he might have stopped United scoring yesterday is absurd.

People wanting us to set up our team on the whole basis of stopping United at set pieces. Jesus.

I would've thought Leicester fans by now would've realised that Leicester have to set up to attack at pace not to try and nullify the opposition( see Pearsons diamond last year!)

However, it is a growing concern and something needs to change, but starting Ulloa purely on the basis that he might have stopped United scoring yesterday is absurd.

Agree.....but I want to see Ulloa because of his forward capabilities, not because he may stop a side scoring.

THAT is secondary

Ulloa has redeeming qualities on the attacking third even though he wasn't able to capitalize the first time the ball touched his foot in that game. Shinji is the king of bad touches in the attacking third.

https://streamable.com/va6b

Thinking back, as i mentioned in the match thread, Drinky had a very big day ahead of him, had to go a long way back to collect and start movements, worked his socks off again but not one of his best unbfortunately. I wouldnt have minded seeing Inler come on around 75 mins, we were being pretty heavily covered at the time and i think maybe this is the exact time to make use of his skill and vision.

To be quite honest, Man Utd have never been at their best like under Ferguson since he left.

I felt quite confident getting something out of this again, and felt quite underwhelmed with the fixture really - compared to playing against Arsenal and Man City.

A big supposition that but enough to perhaps have clinched the game.

I'm not sure what other areas we were so good in that Ulloa might have cancelled them out.

Ulloa is far more dangerous around the penalty box than Shinji  - In terms of his goal threat, his ability to lay the ball off and his presence taking defenders away from others. 

I've still to hear any convincing case for Shinji over Ulloa, King or Schlupp, although the club accountant might be able to present one I suppose! :D  

Of course the guy could make his own case by harrassing as much as ever but adding goals and/or assists to his contribution.

He wouldn't be the first in our team to change people's minds.  

Thinking back, as i mentioned in the match thread, Drinky had a very big day ahead of him, had to go a long way back to collect and start movements, worked his socks off again but not one of his best unbfortunately. I wouldnt have minded seeing Inler come on around 75 mins, we were being pretty heavily covered at the time and i think maybe this is the exact time to make use of his skill and vision.

I was thinking about Inler coming on for the last 15-20 minutes, as Drinky was having a tough day.

However, it could have potentially been a big gamble - not least for Inler's relationship with the fans. When I saw him earlier in the season, he did look slow, out of touch and gave the ball away a fair bit.

If he'd come on in such a big match, lost possession and given a crucial goal away, it would have been a nightmare, especially for him.

Although we had the better chances overall, I was glad we hung on for a draw in the end - and it's a credit to our resilience and improved defensive organisation that we did so.

Man Utd may be deadly dull, but I can see them continuing to grind down a lot of teams, moving the ball accurately from side to side and back and forward until a gap emerges. I can see them winning a lot of matches 1-0 and 2-0 like that, and ending up pretty close to the title.

I was thinking about Inler coming on for the last 15-20 minutes, as Drinky was having a tough day.

However, it could have potentially been a big gamble - not least for Inler's relationship with the fans. When I saw him earlier in the season, he did look slow, out of touch and gave the ball away a fair bit.

If he'd come on in such a big match, lost possession and given a crucial goal away, it would have been a nightmare, especially for him.

Although we had the better chances overall, I was glad we hung on for a draw in the end - and it's a credit to our resilience and improved defensive organisation that we did so.

Man Utd may be deadly dull, but I can see them continuing to grind down a lot of teams, moving the ball accurately from side to side and back and forward until a gap emerges. I can see them winning a lot of matches 1-0 and 2-0 like that, and ending up pretty close to the title.

Sorry Alf we should have won that.

That schweinstiegers goal I know I'll probably get all the half a dozen of one brigade saying but Shinji was holding on etc etc?

But the bloke was wrestling Shinji to the floor before he got his bonce on the ball and I've seen fouls given for things like that before,yes I know there is still inconsistency in match officials but also to let a shorty mark a 12 ft German for a corner was a bit bizarre !!

But for van Gaal to come out also to say the dominated the whole game was a bit of wishful thinking I think our lads showed great passion skill and determination against one of the so called big boys in the PL and the sublime pass from Fuchs to Vardy for his goal was jus magical to watch and when the KP erupted when he scored was absolutely awesome to experience and it was also good to see some Utd fans applauding Vards on his achievement !!

Long may our position in the league top four continue and May Vards continue his fine scoring run continue for one hell of a long time to come as we are showing the world who Leicester City is and what Claudio is making of us !!

If Kasper had let in a goal like Vardys against de Gea,

Many would be crucifying him, strange that nobody mentioned it.

De Geas whole postioning was wrong and poor, normally I rate him, but here

he was poor.

By coming out he gave Vardy the option to smash it into the corner, he may have been better served staying a bit further back. It's still a top top finish travelling at that pace though. It all happened to quickly though it's hard to attribute too much blame.

So what exactly has Inler done to suggest he'd have been a better alternative to King?  I saw Inler come on against Spurs and nearly give the game away with an always risky and totally misflighted crossfield pass. Sadly it wasn't a one-off alarm call. His slow passing and neglect in tracking runners hasn't endeared him either. So a 15-minute return against Manchester United with the game balanced? Sure, great idea! King's actually been used twice recently at the end of games and has helped us see them out admirably. He even won us the game against West Ham in the Cup with a late goal. So why Inler? 

Archived