Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Liverpool (a) post match thread 1 - 0

A highly disappointing performance yesterday. Huth, Fuchs, King, Albrighton and Okazaki all massively underperformed. Vardy and Mahrez were struggling too - lack of service, fatigue, injuries, whatever they weren't at the races and it stuck out like a sore thumb. Kante and Morgan excellent again though. But still, one of those days where we had a few too many people bringing nothing to the party against a well-drilled, hard working side and we couldn't carry any form of result over the line because of it. Some January additions to help sooth the evident fatigue in several of our key players could do with being added sooner rather than later. We are crying out for another pacey, creative attacking option to ease the burden on Vardy and Mahrez.

But Southampton did us a favour so it's pretty much as you were at the top and we have been given a great opportunity to get back to our usual selves and winning ways on Tuesday - lets hope we take it. Onto the next one. Foxes Never Quit.

On reflection the most frustrating thing about yesterday was our use of the ball. At times it reminded me of our darkest days last season where we just hoofed it forward with no thought whatsoever. We're definitely a better team than that and when we keep the ball down and play football we're capable of opening teams up. The game was crying out for another man in the middle yesterday and I personally think we should have sacrificed Okazaki as he was not getting the rub of the green against Lovren.

Take nothing away from Liverpool they did a proper job on us and matched our style of play. Ultimately their extra quality on the day shone through however despite their dominance I never really felt like we were in danger of conceding despite the warning signs. Admittedly they should have scored at the end and how Benteke failed to score I really don't know, but no complaints overall.

Need to bounce back against City now.

That was our worst performance of the season. A lot of the players looked tired, it took us a long time to get going and our star players just did not click. That said, we only lost by 1 away at Anfield and made a few good chances towards the end - I actually thought Kante might have put in Albrighton's cross. We made a fight of it in the end and would rather lose in the way we did than in the way Arsenal capitulated at Southampton.

I think yesterday showed the relative weakness of our squad with very few options on the bench to make an impact. Personally, I'd like the owners to go for one or two signings because I don't think we'll ever get a chance as good as this to finish in the top 4 and that could change the club's trajectory for years.

Our second half of the season will be much tougher than the first as we have to play a lot of the big teams away (Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Spurs) so I don't think its realistic to see us perform the miracles of the first half. That's why I think bolstering the squad is a good idea. It will be teams placed 7th and below that we want to take as many points from as possible.

yesterday was the game for the turn over, yeah i know its always easy to say that after the game , but i think it was possible to keep our weapons for the 2 home games to capitalize on them to keep the top of the league spot.

now its too late and we have tired players for the upcoming games.

also, not to critisize our defense, but we definitly need someone who can do those first passes to our midfielders and i'm sure players like huth and simpson are verry limited on that, it was hoofing football for most of the game yesterday and at everton too.

one more attacking midfileder and one good central back are needed if we want to convert the dream.

Oh come on....Shinji has hardly played as a striker - or even a support striker - since the Sunderland win. But as a front end midfielder he offered next to nothing and has had about three genuinely decent games all season. But he was just one of many who weren't allowed to play today and our team had real problems firing off about five out of 14 cyclinders.

It seems clear from what the manager said that he's been aware some of the players are running on the "shortage of fuel" light. Given that I actually think they gave their all and very nearly sneaked a draw that would have flattered them but felt very welcome.

Two defeats in half a season after ages without defeat the season yet still we have people condemning individuals. I wouldn't condemn any of them but I do hope they can get their breath back quickly.

At last, a voice of reason. Whatever happens next, this has all been fantastic. We aint going down, this is success.

Haven't really read through thoroughly to be honest but haven't seen a lot of the Okazaki penalty incident mentioned? For me it was a stone Waller, Sakho wipes out his standing leg as he goes to shoot. If we'd got that pen early on the game could've gone very differently. Not that I'm making excuses, because we definitely deserved to lose/Liverpool deserved to win, but I thought the officials were quite poor all round. I mean, that decision not to flag the 4/5 Liverpool players offside in the dying seconds was absolute, complete lunacy, awful officiating

I said it before, but Vardy needs a rest. He looks like has an injury or he could just be knackered. A rest would do him some good either way. Liverpool played a 442 so we didn't have the space out wide as we normally do. I'm surprised we didn't do better playing a Championship style game. The bad performance was a combination of things. As long as we don't play like that again, I'll be happy! The thing I'm not happy about is when we have the ball on the edge of the opponents box, but it ends up being passed back to Kasper who then boots it down field to about the place we just had possession of it, but now we don't because we're not a strong team in the air! It's something we've been doing fro a few years, but it's so pointless! When we have it on the edge of the opponents box and there isn't anyone open, please just take a shot! As for Okazaki's penalty shout, I wouldn't have been happy if that was given against us. They had a decent penalty shout too, so no argument from me. We deserved to lose and we haven't felt like that for a very long time.  

Players that have a reputation for going down easily don't win the benefit of the doubt on these sorts of calls, especially away in front of the home supporters.

Watch it from both angles a bunch of times and try to make sense of it.

https://streamable.com/ohlf

I think that would've been a bit soft. There is obviously contact, but just because there is contact doesn't make it a pen.

Not read through the whole thread but not sure if anybody has mentioned how poor the ref was. Not saying the outcome would have been different but he missed a stonewall penalty on Okazaki in the first half (which didn't even get shown on Match of the day!) and gave them multiple little decisions which affected the general flow of the game.

Can't take anything away from Liverpool though but I feel that things might have been a bit different had Vardy been fully fit and Drinkwater starting instead of King. Ranieri should have switched things up a lot early also, we were crying out for a couple of subs, even possibly at half time but it wasn't until about 71 minutes I think that he finally changed it and even then Ulloa was up top on his own!

Yet today he let the game flow with fouls all over the place, even though we deserved to lose and played poor the refs decsions are the complete opposite, dodgy for sure.

Benteke has far too much space for his goal.

Would've thought that area of defending is a simple one for any defender to implement - stay close to your man.

Not that simple. At first it seemed the inside pass was/would be covered. Our central defenders were covering any space an attacker might reasonably have run into but it all opened up and Benteke held his ground. Even in scoring he was stretched to the limit and did well.

Yes, in hindsight, the space might have been closed down but the defenders did take a line off one another and there's the problem with zonal marking.

As with all systems, they don't work all the time.

I remember Chelsea's defenders getting widely slated for the Vardy and Mahrez goals when they'd actually marked up well. Both were brilliant goals, the result of precise timing plus perfectly executed skills and I'd have defied most any defenders to have prevented either.      

Archived