Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I haven't really felt the need to unload in here for a very long time. I've been in a period of what I guess I would call "comfortable" depression. Either very low anxiety or very suppressed anxiety depression. Very low impact symptom depression. Easy depression. 

It's eaten at my appetite, my motivation and my mood to such a subtle level it's gone unnoticed and easily managed through most of the last two years. The fact that the whole world is experiencing some form of it because of covid has helped me plod along with it in check. 

But throughout November I guess anxiety has been subconsciously building up behind the scenes and it's started taking centre stage over the last week in the form of insomnia. 

It first started this time last week. It took me an unusually long time (an hour maybe?) to get to sleep. It played on my mind and the first bit of worry crept in and last Monday night I didn't sleep at all. Not for a second. I couldn't stop TRYING to get to sleep. I know from experience the futility when you get to this point but I couldn't stop myself. 

I managed to rally and Tuesday I got to sleep, albeit having had a beer. Wednesday without, Thursday without. Friday I got absolutely ruined with work and passed out. Saturday was so hungover sleep came fine. And bam. Like a shot, I'm back here again tonight. 

I'm aware the obvious answer here is work but I don't think I'm particularly anxious about work. It's just knowing that I "have to!" get to sleep BECAUSE of work that I think is instigating the pressure. 

But fvck, I can't stop myself thinking about going to sleep. My whole life I've accidentally practiced a form of mindfulness without knowing it's what I'm doing. It started when I was a little kid, like maybe six or seven, I'd roll my pyjama bottoms up so they were like shorts and I'd fantasise playing football under the covers until I fell asleep. As I grew and matured sometimes it would be fantasising about being an army man or a Knight or whatever. You know, just kids fantasies. But that's what I'd do to drift asleep. I came to call it "playing the game."

Ive carried it with me through my teens and in to adult life. It's something so private and I guess embarrassing (although not really, I guess just silly sounding?) that I've never told anyone about it but even now at 35 I go to sleep with one of a few recurring fantasies I still call "the game." One involves being a boxer (of all the sports I enjoy, a weird choice) another involves a sort of Rainbow Six style International special forces and the complex political situations required of it, others are linked to literal fantasy media like the Witcher or whatever I happen to be watching on TV in the evenings. It's always I guess some sort of feel good, fantasy wish fulfillment. 

I have no idea how normal this is or how "everyone else" gets to sleep but this has been the main crutch of my sleep process for 30 years. I told my therapist about this a couple years ago a few sessions after going on some rant about how mindfulness wouldn't work for me because I'm too cynical about "all that meditation crap" and she, as delicately and compassionately as possible, laughed in my face and somewhat exasperated explained "that IS mindfulness!" 

But it's completely failing me right now. The problem is, I KNOW it's a tool. I KNOW it's a coping mechanism. So when I'm lying in bed with insomnia and my problem is being too aware that I'm TRYING to sleep then it absolutely fails. My crutch is gone. The one trick I know to use to fall asleep is now a reminder that I can't fall asleep and the anxiety turns to stress turns to anger and now I'm fvcked. 

I don't get insomnia often because "the game" is my mental health super power. I'm so well practiced in it I've had great sleep hygiene through nearly all my struggles. 

But when I do get insomnia it snowballs in to a massive issue quite quickly because I don't know another way of sleeping. 

Typing this out has helped me slow my heart rate and heavy my eyelids but I don't think it'll actually work. I'm just concerned that tackling the underlying anxiety might be the only way to fix it and I may need to medicate for the first time in four or five years for that which feels like such a defeat. 

I really hate December. 

I sense you know yourself VERY well mate. You seem incredibly self aware to me, which is a sign of huge emotional intelligence.

I also sense you're a very proud person by the way you say medication would feel like a 'defeat'. I haven't slept properly since 2003 and rely heavily on pain killers every night to try and knock me out. It's not ideal but it is what it is, and the only way I can deal with it.

If tackling the underlying issue of anxiety might be the only way to fix it, then maybe that's the answer.

I'm not sure you need anyone's advice Finners, I just think you maybe need to swallow your pride and speak to a professional about it.

Look after yourself mate and December will soon be over...

On 11/12/2021 at 18:02, urban.spaceman said:

Rock bottom. No way up. Can't do this for much longer.

Been there not too long ago mate and believe me there is a way up. 

I also received comments like the one I've just said to you and at the time thought 'yeah whatever' but believe me mate whatever it is there's a reason for you to stick around

Inbox is always open 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Been there not too long ago mate and believe me there is a way up. 

I also received comments like the one I've just said to you and at the time thought 'yeah whatever' but believe me mate whatever it is there's a reason for you to stick around

Inbox is always open 

Thanks FF, am replying to your DM as we speak

4 hours ago, Anonymous fox said:

Just wanted to check in and give a little update.

After going through the hardest 6 months/year of my life I can honestly say that I have hope for a happy future. I still have the occasional down day but find them much more manageable recently. I feel content with the shared accommodation I'm living in and it almost feels like home now. My relationship with my kids is great and I've really been putting in the graft at work which has been recognised and rewarded.

Once again I just want to thank everyone on here who helped me with kind words and donations to keep me alive basically. I'll always appreciate it. 

For the people on here struggling currently,  please believe me when I say there's always a way back from rock bottom. I feel like hitting it in some way is quite liberating as you can genuinely say you've survived when it seemed impossible. 

So so happy for you that you're feeling a bit better.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Anonymous fox said:

Just wanted to check in and give a little update.

After going through the hardest 6 months/year of my life I can honestly say that I have hope for a happy future. I still have the occasional down day but find them much more manageable recently. I feel content with the shared accommodation I'm living in and it almost feels like home now. My relationship with my kids is great and I've really been putting in the graft at work which has been recognised and rewarded.

Once again I just want to thank everyone on here who helped me with kind words and donations to keep me alive basically. I'll always appreciate it. 

For the people on here struggling currently,  please believe me when I say there's always a way back from rock bottom. I feel like hitting it in some way is quite liberating as you can genuinely say you've survived when it seemed impossible. 

Repeated for emphasis.

Really glad you're back on your feet, mate.

• Thanks 1

Been back on the meds just over a month feeling much better. . The one problem we are having is our daughter who has borderline personality disorder has come down to stay for a few days from uni and didnt bring meds upon talking to her doctor today it turns out she would have run out over two weeks ago any tbh her whole world appears to be pointless but she wont let us help getting extensions been turned down by dissable student allowance not that it involves money more the ability to just get an extension when needed without having to explain that just stopping your self killing yourself takes up your whole day let alone being able to do an assignment. It is driing my wife to tears but we dont know what to do the uni probably wont speak to us tomorrow when we try to salvage her first year at the first hurdle. I know the first year is a smaller % than others but dont want her blaming us for this along with everything else that isnt going the way she expects on us. 

Any ideas greatfully accepted anyone know about video editing or script witing can recommend some youtube vids or books to view so we can assist her with the first assignments.

5 minutes ago, doverfox said:

Been back on the meds just over a month feeling much better. . The one problem we are having is our daughter who has borderline personality disorder has come down to stay for a few days from uni and didnt bring meds upon talking to her doctor today it turns out she would have run out over two weeks ago any tbh her whole world appears to be pointless but she wont let us help getting extensions been turned down by dissable student allowance not that it involves money more the ability to just get an extension when needed without having to explain that just stopping your self killing yourself takes up your whole day let alone being able to do an assignment. It is driing my wife to tears but we dont know what to do the uni probably wont speak to us tomorrow when we try to salvage her first year at the first hurdle. I know the first year is a smaller % than others but dont want her blaming us for this along with everything else that isnt going the way she expects on us. 

Any ideas greatfully accepted anyone know about video editing or script witing can recommend some youtube vids or books to view so we can assist her with the first assignments.

I feel your pain mate. My 15 year old daughter has BPD and extreme contamination OCD. She recently started taking anti depressants and they've helped a bit, but she's still a mess.

We had a Zoom call earlier with her therapist and about a dozen other parents of kids having similar therapy. It was comforting in a way to know that we're not the only ones struggling.

I don't think I can really offer you any ideas or practical help when it comes to your daughters uni assignments/allowance etc. but just wanted to say I hope you all get through this O.K.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, doverfox said:

Sorry to hear this. I work at a uni and have done quite a bit of work around DSA, disabled students. More than happy to do what I can to help you navigate what can be really difficult systems. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Just wanted to thank everyone again for reaching out to me last week. I’d just received news that yet again I’d been passed over for a job opportunity, resigning me to poverty for even longer, and that same day one of my oldest friends texted to tell me she’d got a new and better job. Had a few drinks to commiserate with myself which led to a row in the household. Ended up just feeling utterly suicidal on Saturday, just no hope whatsoever. Like I was being punished for something I didn’t know I did or something. 

Made the realisation that I’d switched tablets recently and it may have affected my mood. Gone back to my previous ones this week and while my sleep isn’t as good, my mood is much less volatile and I can stomach looking for opportunities again. Also means that I can have a drink on my old tablets, which I plan to do in moderation, but will definitely help over Christmas and New Years. Feeling much better this week, planning on starting some of those applications so I’m not rushing for deadlines in January. 

Hope everyone’s well x

Glad to hear you are doing better mate. I creep on this forum thread and have to say there are some good people on here who genuinely care.

I wish you much success in finding a job opportunity and hope that it comes sooner than later. 

• Thanks 1

On 19/12/2021 at 01:11, Jattdogg said:

Glad to hear you are doing better mate. I creep on this forum thread and have to say there are some good people on here who genuinely care.

There really are mate, and they know who they are too. Just wish I could be in a better place to offer the same sort of support. 

On 19/12/2021 at 01:11, Jattdogg said:

I wish you much success in finding a job opportunity and hope that it comes sooner than later. 

0fad496385a864a611270a3200253af5--peep-s

• Like 3

On 19/12/2021 at 01:07, urban.spaceman said:

Just wanted to thank everyone again for reaching out to me last week. I’d just received news that yet again I’d been passed over for a job opportunity, resigning me to poverty for even longer, and that same day one of my oldest friends texted to tell me she’d got a new and better job. Had a few drinks to commiserate with myself which led to a row in the household. Ended up just feeling utterly suicidal on Saturday, just no hope whatsoever. Like I was being punished for something I didn’t know I did or something. 

Made the realisation that I’d switched tablets recently and it may have affected my mood. Gone back to my previous ones this week and while my sleep isn’t as good, my mood is much less volatile and I can stomach looking for opportunities again. Also means that I can have a drink on my old tablets, which I plan to do in moderation, but will definitely help over Christmas and New Years. Feeling much better this week, planning on starting some of those applications so I’m not rushing for deadlines in January. 

Hope everyone’s well x

I really hope 2022 is a positive year for you.

There are so many people struggling with their mental health it's scary!!

What meds are you on?...I take citalopram (20mg) they do help my low moods but not great for helping get good quality sleep!!

• Thanks 1

Had such a rollercoaster last month or so. Had a few positives but more negatives and I’m really struggling right now. I don’t know what to do with my medication anymore I’ve tried 3 or 4 different anti depressants now and none have seemed to help me that much. Don’t know how much more I can cope with to be honest.

Something I've realised being out of commission again. I had the flu 3 weeks ago or so and now I'm pretty sure I've got omicron and I'm similarly bed ridden. It almost triggers some form of ptsd for me taking me back to my 20s when I was a total mess and would spend, sometimes literally, weeks on end in bed. It's not nice, the weather doesn't help, the state of the world doesn't help but I can look at things now, knowing it will get better so it never really gets that bad in the first place. Dunno why I've posted this really just felt the need. Things get better, I guess. 

• Like 4