Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

21 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Got a VW Golf mkIV 2.3l V5 recently. It's pretty old - 16 years, but only done 35k. Mint. I absolutely bloody love it, and love it a bit more every time I drive it. I had been driving a 1.0l Lupo for years before, so just being able to overtake is a huge bonus.

It's pretty thirsty if you thrash it (around 23 mpg), but not too bad if driven sensibly (nearly 40 mpg), the tax and insurance is more than I'm used to, but just the sound it makes means it's worth every penny to me.

Surprised to read all the positive comments about automatics. I can't see myself ever owning one, unless I lose my left foot. I know they're more economical these days, but I'll never be able to shake the image I have of them. I've always thought they were for people who were unable to drive a proper car, people who didn't enjoy driving, or people who were just downright lazy. The only time I ever think I'd like a slushbox is when I'm stuck in traffic for a long time heading uphill. Other than that, I want to be able to pick the gear. I want to be able to test the economical or acceleration limits of the car.

Are all you pro-automatics over 50? Do you enjoy driving? Do you own slippers? Care to defend yourselves?

I've always thought automatics have about as much cred as fuching Coldplay, and I can't see that ever changing.

I love that you're worried about 'cred' but freely admit to driving a one litre Lupo ?

• Haha 3

There are different types of auto, the old torque converters are slush boxes, modern torque converters also use a clutch pack and some complicated mechatronics, the result is a seamless ride quality that is just superb. Our ZF box in the wife's BMW has 8 gears.

Then you have dual clutch transmissions, plenty of names for them. These are true manual boxes but use two automatic clutches. At low speed the GR6 in my GTR can be clunky and noisy, but is lightening quick at high speed, in full manual mode it will let you bounce off the limiter, block shift and auto blip. I'm not sure it's fast enough to tell the difference between the ZF though. I believe BMW will be using ZF and dropping DCT going forward. Don't quote me though.

You can't compare an old auto to the latest ones, there is no comparison at all. The RAV4 no doubt had a crap auto, but it's no barometer for autos.

It's like nobbing a fat bird and saying you don't like girls, because they're all fat.

Edited by simFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, simFox said:

There are different types of auto, the old torque converters are slush boxes, modern torque converters also use a clutch pack and some complicated mechatronics, the result is a seamless ride quality that is just superb. Our ZF box in the wife's BMW has 8 gears.

Then you have dual clutch transmissions, plenty of names for them. These are true manual boxes but use two automatic clutches. At low speed the GR6 in my GTR can be clunky and noisy, but is lightening quick at high speed, in full manual mode it will let you bounce off the limiter, block shift and auto blip. I'm not sure it's fast enough to tell the difference between the ZF though. I believe BMW will be using ZF and dropping DCT going forward. Don't quote me though.

You can't compare an old auto to the latest ones, there is no comparison at all. The RAV4 no doubt had a crap auto, but it's no barometer for autos.

It's like nobbing a fat bird and saying you don't like girls, because they're all fat.

Even the super cars have auto boxes, and yes they aren’t like the old autos, they are different. Very few manual versions are sold on the super cars as the autos have progressed that much.

The auto v manual thing is a bit like the diesel debate of years ago. I drove a diesel years ago and it took me some real convincing and many many years before I believed anyone’s view on what deisel engines were really like. Then when I got a  “new” diesel, I finally understood what people were on about. 

I once had had an Audi S4 that did 0-60 in  5 seconds, and I replaced it with a much more economical Audi A5 diesel. The saving on fuel was massive, and the performance 0-60 cost me just 1 second. Yes the S4 was better above 50, but that 3.0ltr deisel engine was more than you could ever want or need.

Everything has advanced so much, the gearboxes, the engines and the safety. 

On 23/04/2018 at 03:39, ozleicester said:

Sports mode Auto's are perfect.

If you feel lazy and just wanna get A to B... Auto mode engaged.... if you want to feel the rush, hear the noise and get the poweerr down... just hit Sports mode

The Sport mode in the merc my missus just got is amazing. Not sure of the engine, but it’s just unreal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Are the council actually planning this year to repair the roads? As in, the pot-holes? There is a particular road near where I live, in Glen Parva, where there’s more pot-hole than road. 

Is it worth complaining to the council?

@Buce is the complain to the council pot hole expert around here mate :thumbup:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Are the council actually planning this year to repair the roads? As in, the pot-holes? There is a particular road near where I live, in Glen Parva, where there’s more pot-hole than road. 

Rushton Drive? I’ve stopped driving on that road now as it will ruin my car. 

8 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Both the City and County Council have a facility for reporting potholes, Col. There is an interactive map which you can use to show them exactly where it is, and the option of uploading a photo to allow them to judge the seriousness of it (the most dangerous are dealt with almost immediately, less dangerous ones in a few days).

On 15/03/2018 at 18:45, Buce said:

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Both the City and County Council have a facility for reporting potholes, Col. There is an interactive map which you can use to show them exactly where it is, and the option of uploading a photo to allow them to judge the seriousness of it (the most dangerous are dealt with almost immediately, less dangerous ones in a few days).

Nice one mate

:thumbup:

My car was performing perfectly this morning, got some fuel from Asda (for the first time) and now it's an absolute mission to get it into gear. Even when it's in gear, the tachometer is all over the place, high revs in 4th going about 25. I 100% got the right fuel because I've got the receipt here. I can change gears as normal when the engine is off but when I turn it on it's a nightmare again, I can smell burning also when this happens. Anyone think they know what's up with it?

Edited by Ian Nacho

On 27/04/2018 at 15:02, Ian Nacho said:

My car was performing perfectly this morning, got some fuel from Asda (for the first time) and now it's an absolute mission to get it into gear. Even when it's in gear, the tachometer is all over the place, high revs in 4th going about 25. I 100% got the right fuel because I've got the receipt here. I can change gears as normal when the engine is off but when I turn it on it's a nightmare again, I can smell burning also when this happens. Anyone think they know what's up with it?

Sounds like the clutch to me

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

Found out both the clutch and gearbox gone on my car. Getting close to a grand to fix I reckon :blink:

Could be worse. I've just spent all morning (8 till 1pm) helping a mate whose BMW 520d needs a total engine rebuild. The timing chain broke! I've heard people say that chains don't ever need changing like belts do. It's bollocks. It's going to cost him 3 grand and 2 weeks without his car.

Apparently, it's been featured on Watchdog. The garage they went to said they do 4 or 5 BMWs a week.

And because it's an automatic, it was an absolute nightmare just to get it in neutral to get in on the back of the recovery vehicle. Apparently, you can do this with a complicated sequence of the controls, but it involves turning the starter motor over, which you don't want to do with a snapped timing chain. You can also use a special tool to disconnect the transmission, but of course, the tool was missing, and also, you're supposed to use the tool in a slot under the cup holders, and to get under there, you have to take the whole centre console to bits. The recovery people were going to put the car on rollers to get it onto the truck, but the place it's going to has a gravel driveway, and the rollers wouldn't be any use there, so my mate really wanted to get in neutral. We had to jack the car up, remove the splash shield, locate a single bolt and turn it all the way in to release the transmission. Absolutely ridiculous.

Yet another reason not to get an automatic (maybe just a BMW 5 series automatic).

Edited by Raw Dykes
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

Could be worse. I've just spent all morning (8 till 1pm) helping a mate whose BMW 520d needs a total engine rebuild. The timing chain broke! I've heard people say that chains don't ever need changing like belts do. It's bollocks. It's going to cost him 3 grand and 2 weeks without his car.

Apparently, it's been featured on Watchdog. The garage they went to said they do 4 or 5 BMWs a week.

That happened on my 318i last summer. 5 years old with only 38,000 on the clock brought from BMW in Derby. 

It didn’t cost me a penny in repairs as they did it as a good will gesture. 

My sister who had a 320i with even less miles on than mine and a year younger wasn’t so lucky. Hers went around this time last year also but because she had bought it privately and not from BMW she had to pay for a new engine. Just over £3000.

7 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

That happened on my 318i last summer. 5 years old with only 38,000 on the clock brought from BMW in Derby. 

It didn’t cost me a penny in repairs as they did it as a good will gesture. 

My sister who had a 320i with even less miles on than mine and a year younger wasn’t so lucky. Hers went around this time last year also but because she had bought it privately and not from BMW she had to pay for a new engine. Just over £3000.

Wow! So it's not just 5 series, then? Shocking that it happened with so few miles on the clock.

That's great that you got the repairs for free! I think my mate has had his from new. Don't know if he got it from a BMW dealership, but I'll pass on the information. Thank you.

That's such a shame about your sister. Just rotten luck, I suppose. That's the same amount I just paid for my car!

8 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Wow! So it's not just 5 series, then? Shocking that it happened with so few miles on the clock.

That's great that you got the repairs for free! I think my mate has had his from new. Don't know if he got it from a BMW dealership, but I'll pass on the information. Thank you.

That's such a shame about your sister. Just rotten luck, I suppose. That's the same amount I just paid for my car!

It affects the 1,3 and 5 series, BMW are aware of issues and are willing to contribute if it has full bmw service history. 

Definitely worth your friend going into his local bmw dealership and talking about it. Google BMW N43 & N47 engine and you’ll see how many people have had the same issues with them. 

I didn’t even have to take it back to Derby where I brought it from. Sytner Leicester did mine, took it on the Monday they rang me Tuesday morning telling me the problem rang me back Tuesday afternoon telling me they’ll repair it for free and the car was ready for collection on Friday morning.

• Like 1

Anyone use the hand car washes?

Interesting times ahead for these businesses it would seem. 

A guy I know who operates one was telling me the government are ruining their businesses by making them pay minimum wages and taxes, which means they are no longer money machines.

His view is that with the government cracking down, many will close as they can’t make them work if they had to play by the rules.

Many are looking at automotic alternatives that will require less people, to ensure they can continue to trade. 

So so it appears changes are on the way. It will take a while as the operators will obviously try and resist, but it can’t carry on forever.

Although I like them, use them and they were a game changer compared to the old machines and jet washes, I suppose you have to feel sorry for the old style operators that invested in machinery, played by the rules and saw their investments decimated as the Eastern Europeans came over and took over the market by not playing by the rules.