Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes_rule1978

Deeney bid rejected - Signs new contract with Watford

I can't believe we would off £20m up front, it is probably in a deal worth up to £20m for Watford, all deals now are full of clauses and performance related add ons. Our £8m for Ulloa was really £5m + add ons. £12m + add ons is probably about right.

He seems the right sort of player for us and we do need to be careful we don't go full foreign legion, we need home grown players.

Deeney over Alexis Sanchez? lol

We got divers in our team so we shouldn't get on our high horse about it.

Playing the way we play, don't think Alexis is going to put himself about and put shift in like Deeney would.

Alexis might be the more valuable players, the more gifted player... but Deeney is the player I would rather have in this TEAM

Playing the way we play, don't think Alexis is going to put himself about and put shift in like Deeney would.

Alexis might be the more valuable players, the more gifted player... but Deeney is the player I would rather have in this TEAM

I know im new and all, so i remember when i signed up; the question to be part of the forum was where was Amartey from? You need to start asking questions like who is better Sanchez or Deeney. Just so we can set a baseline for proper discourse. To make things worse out of all the players that are actually class he choose the one that actually has an insanely high work rate.

It has nothing to do with moaning about what Deeney would bring to the club. I have 2 main issues with this, the first is fairly simple- his pricetag. Even in an inflated market anything around 20 mil is absolutely ridiculous of a player like Deeney. Secondly its the sign it sends to the top players on the squad, we need to communicate that we are serious about cementing our status. We need to signal intent, show Kante, Vardy, and Mahrez that we want to be gunning for top 4 every year from this point forward - maybe then we have a good chance of keeping all three. Make no mistake about it if Vardy bolts, then chances of retaining Kante are probably nil, Mahrez would then probably leave too. Is he a good player? Sure. Will him being on the squad make us win more games: Sure? But that is not what we are as you put it "moaning" about. As far as this reoccurring criticism that there is some kind of bias towards foreign talent and w/e characteristics you attach to them, i don't see it. I think this myth that we evaluate players based on perceived strong character, and good work rate is bs. You can't teach talent and class, you can drill in work rate; many people have pointed to Mahrez's improved tracking back and recovery. All this to say quite frankly at 20 mil there are better players available than Deeney and Slimani by all metrics is a far more talented footballer than he is. I would love Deeney just not for 20 mil (probably around 1/3 of our transfer budget and thats being generous).

Metrics of Slimani playing a different position and in a poorer league.

Let's be honest here, except for a few teams the league is championship standard. So let's compare his record against Deeney in that league shall we.

Come on, how often you actually watched Slimani play?

Let's be honest here, except for a few teams the league is championship standard. So let's compare his record against Deeney in that league shall we.

Id say no more than 15, i watched him bang in goals at the World Cup though. The difference is huge, imho.

Have you watched Arsenal?

Sanchez is the hardest working player they have. He runs himself to the ground and he does put himself about. Sanchez has more talent in his right foot than Deeney has in his whole body.

Can't believe we're having a legit debate here who'd be better for us Deeney or Sanchez.

Deeney is perfect for our style??????

Vardy and Musa are perfect for our style.

Deeney is perfect in style for Martin O'Neil's Leicester!

He's not going to play the Vardy role, he's going to play the Okazaki role.

I agree with Mezeker.

You just have to look at what £20m buys you elsewhere, Breel Embolo is 19 and going for £20m. A lot would say he's already a better player than Deeney but he has far more potential and he has sell on value.

Kovacic of Real Madrid, 22 and linked with a £20m move to Juventus

Mkhitaryan from Dortmund to Arsenal for £25m

Goetze is another one

There are loads of players who end up at the best clubs in the world for around the £20m mark,when you look what we have to pay it seems ridiculous.

Gundogan gone to Man City for £20m as well.

I've got no problem with Deeney. He's a good player who could contribute here. Solid pro as well. But because he's English his price is massively inflated.

I agree with Mezeker.

You just have to look at what £20m buys you elsewhere, Breel Embolo is 19 and going for £20m. A lot would say he's already a better player than Deeney but he has far more potential and he has sell on value.

Kovacic of Real Madrid, 22 and linked with a £20m move to Juventus

Mkhitaryan from Dortmund to Arsenal for £25m

Goetze is another one

There are loads of players who end up at the best clubs in the world for around the £20m mark,when you look what we have to pay it seems ridiculous.

Im not disputing the fact its ridiculous but its the sorts of prices teams have to pay for Premier league players because the prem teams are much richer. That's all I was saying. By all means I would rather unearth another gem like Mahrez or Kante.

Its down to whether you want to buy potential or get a player already used to the prem. You could go out and buy a player who is 'better' based on their form in their current league but they could come here and flop. At least with Deeney there is a bit of security knowing he has performed on the prem stage

Have you watched Arsenal?

Sanchez is the hardest working player they have. He runs himself to the ground and he does put himself about. Sanchez has more talent in his right foot than Deeney has in his whole body.

Can't believe we're having a legit debate here who'd be better for us Deeney or Sanchez.

Why are you even comparing, you aren't going to be able to buy someone like Sanchez from another prem team for £20m. It would be nearer £40m.

If we want to buy players from our leagues (for the love of god people go and read the old scouting articles) then you have to pay. We're not going to just buy foreigners, simple as that. So we need to accept some players are going to cost us more than their realistic worth to buy them.

But there is a very good, very well thought through reason for doing so.

How often have you watched Deeney play? Serious question.

Portuguese top flight is on BT Sport. I'd wager Sporting have been on TV in the UK this year more than Watford, even factoring in the possibility you've seen him home and away.

I hate these stupid posts about players in Portugal and Holland etc as if they're in the Gabonese second tier and not on UK TV every week.

More on topic, if we can get Deeney for less than Slimani and Walsh and co think he's a better fit? Cool, no problem, I've said repeatedly that my issue is with the value of buying from England and not with Troy Deeney.

You questioned had I not been watching this year, of course I have and I suspect it's you that missed the point. Our regular starting eleven was worth less than half what we'd have to pay for Deeney, realistically, if he doesn't kick up a fuss about leaving.

Watford have absolutely no reason to sell what so ever. He's not coming here for 15 to 20m without handing in a transfer request in a month of Sundays.

OK then Babylon,how many times have you watched Slimani? He was awesome for Algeria in the last world cup. Everything about him evokes Leicester. He is much improved over the last two years as well, and if there were to be any fine tuning to adapt to the Premier league, 'he would eat it'. No problem. He chases down 'lost causes', a la Okazaki. He is adaptable, he is an 'all-round talent'. He is a superb header of the ball. He would frighten the sh1ts out of Premier League defences. He is the one I want here the most!

He is strong, quicker than Deeney.

How often have you watched Deeney play? Serious question.

Portuguese top flight is on BT Sport. I'd wager Sporting have been on TV in the UK this year more than Watford, even factoring in the possibility you've seen him home and away.

I hate these stupid posts about players in Portugal and Holland etc as if they're in the Gabonese second tier and not on UK TV every week.

More on topic, if we can get Deeney for less than Slimani and Walsh and co think he's a better fit? Cool, no problem, I've said repeatedly that my issue is with the value of buying from England and not with Troy Deeney.

You questioned had I not been watching this year, of course I have and I suspect it's you that missed the point. Our regular starting eleven was worth less than half what we'd have to pay for Deeney, realistically, if he doesn't kick up a fuss about leaving.

Watford have absolutely no reason to sell what so ever. He's not coming here for 15 to 20m without handing in a transfer request in a month of Sundays.

Whether you like the posts or not, it's a fact that it's not a great league. There have been plenty of players top scorers in other leagues that have flopped, I seem to remember a certain Mr Kramaric doing the same.

People seem to have no problem paying what £23m upfront for a 27 year old with good record in a poorer league (but sod all before the last two years). But not £20m for someone who is also 27, also smashed it up in lower leagues but has also not done too bad at proving himself in this league.

He'd also fit our style as he played a similar role for Watford in the 10 position. Something as far as I'm aware Slimani did not.

The series of articles I keep harping on about talked about minimising risk. Buying from our leagues does just that, buying players that play in a similar formation already does that.

There is enough stuff in them to explain exactly why we do what we do when we go for the likes of Ulloa and Deeney over some fancy foreigner every time.

Okazaki didn't play the Okazaki role until he came here. Slimani is physical and hard working, could easily play off Vardy but offer a greater goal threat that Ulloa and Shinji.

Deeney is less risk but he's an inferior player imo. £20m+ is way too steep.

Might just be saying that because Slimani is foreign though of course

As if anyone thought we could get deeney for under 20m.

20m is the new 10m after the rise in tv money.

id like deeney here. Seems better than league winners ulloa and okazaki.

it has got charlie austin smokescreen written all over it though.

OK then Babylon,how many times have you watched Slimani? He was awesome for Algeria in the last world cup. Everything about him evokes Leicester. He is much improved over the last two years as well, and if there were to be any fine tuning to adapt to the Premier league, 'he would eat it'. No problem. He chases down 'lost causes', a la Okazaki. He is adaptable, he is an 'all-round talent'. He is a superb header of the ball. He would frighten the sh1ts out of Premier League defences. He is the one I want here the most!

He is strong, quicker than Deeney.

I haven't watched him, I've said very little about him. What I gave done is question people chucking "metrics" about when someone is performing in a league you'd expect them to have better stats. Kramaric had great stats in Croatia.

Are we going to change the way we play? We aren't a cross from wide team, we cross from deep quite flat for players to run on to. I don't see how someone like that fits particularly in the style we have.

Whether you like the posts or not, it's a fact that it's not a great league. There have been plenty of players top scorers in other leagues that have flopped, I seem to remember a certain Mr Kramaric doing the same.

People seem to have no problem paying what £23m upfront for a 27 year old with good record in a poorer league (but sod all before the last two years). But not £20m for someone who is also 27, also smashed it up in lower leagues but has also not done too bad at proving himself in this league.

He'd also fit our style as he played a similar role for Watford in the 10 position. Something as far as I'm aware Slimani did not.

The series of articles I keep harping on about talked about minimising risk. Buying from our leagues does just that, buying players that play in a similar formation already does that.

There is enough stuff in them to explain exactly why we do what we do when we go for the likes of Ulloa and Deeney over some fancy foreigner every time.

Couldn't agree more. We know what we are getting with Deeney - we dont with Slimani and Musa - yet folks seem perfectly happy to spunk over £20M on these players yet are shocked when we offer it for Deeney - a player thats proven he can succeed at all levels domestically. On top of that he fits our style of play and has the right attitude and work ethic - what more could you want!

Archived