Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Porto away Pre Match & team selection discuss

37 minutes ago, Master Fox said:

Hamer

Hernandez Wasyl Wes

Schlupp Drinkwater Mendy Chillwell

Gray   Ulloa    Musa

I now find it weird people posting these formations and discussing three up front, five at the back, wingbacks etc......

It's Claudio. He's left clubs and been sacked from clubs before for sticking to 442.

Why do we think he'll be different here and start lining up Guardiola style?

I think they'll be occasions where he asks the number 10 to drop deep when defending and leave a sole striker up front.... but thats about it!

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I now find it weird people posting these formations and discussing three up front, five at the back, wingbacks etc......

It's Claudio. He's left clubs and been sacked from clubs before for sticking to 442.

Why do we think he'll be different here and start lining up Guardiola style?

I think they'll be occasions where he asks the number 10 to drop deep when defending and leave a sole striker up front.... but thats about it!

Our whole league season has been screeming for for a change but no 442.

Obvious we don't have the players for 442 atm but no play 442.

Whatever the question the answer is 442.

Anyway I need to go for a 442.

26 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Our whole league season has been screeming for for a change but no 442.

Obvious we don't have the players for 442 atm but no play 442.

Whatever the question the answer is 442.

Anyway I need to go for a 442.

To be fair, you really talk a load of 442....

lol

52 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Who scouted players like Kapustka though?

Are we to believe Walsh left us with a load of duds before he left for Everton?

50 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I've always thought it was Ranieri, it was he who was making all the calls to the head of the Polish club and Kapustka. It seemed to me very much like a rush buy having seen him in the Euros. Especially if we signed him without ever seeing him live (as John Percy said)... don't think that's happened under Walsh as he was regularly off checking on people.

I find it hard that believe that the scouting and recruitment are not heavily involved in all decisions made. Ranieri/Shaky and the coaching staff must highlight the type of players which fit the team philosophy and then they get a list of recommended targets.

The club were after Musa for 2 seasons or more, failing in our bids under Pearson and then went back in under Ranieri. The scouting team must of invested a lot of time in him and his family network to see if he's the right fit. For whatever reason he is still to deliver even a fraction of his price tag. So I think they are not so much duds just haven't got them ticking yet.

4 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

I find it hard that believe that the scouting and recruitment are not heavily involved in all decisions made. Ranieri/Shaky and the coaching staff must highlight the type of players which fit the team philosophy and then they get a list of recommended targets.

The club were after Musa for 2 seasons or more, failing in our bids under Pearson and then went back in under Ranieri. The scouting team must of invested a lot of time in him and his family network to see if he's the right fit. For whatever reason he is still to deliver even a fraction of his price tag. So I think they are not so much duds just haven't got them ticking yet.

Musa will deliver when he is played as a striker instead of Vardy. Not wasted on the wing. 

Played there vs barca (admittedly a friendly) and tore their defense a new bumhole. Not really got a chance since. 

21 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

You're presuming the system works the same under Ranieri as it did under Pearson. Percy said he was signed on the back of us not even watching him live, something I doubt we ever did under Pearson / Walsh working together. We always got the "we've been watching him for a long time" stuff post signing... don't remember that about him. Kapustka joined after Walsh went, so he could have had zero input.

27 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Musa will deliver when he is played as a striker instead of Vardy. Not wasted on the wing. 

Played there vs barca (admittedly a friendly) and tore their defense a new bumhole. Not really got a chance since. 

He doesn't want to play upfront he prefers to play on the Wing 

Musa is new to the pl...  and i think he is doing well. He looks good on the wing esp late in the game. He is now taking the ball and running fwd scaring defences.... at the start he was checking the ball back.

He is working hard when we are defending...where his speed picks up loose balls.

Imo he should be encouraged to shoot ratherthan seek to pass in the area.  Of all the new boys he has made the best progress to becoming a pl player.   

Why are we criticising how he was signed?

Musa has been the most threatening when deployed on the left wing, Arsenal, Palace and to a lesser extent West Brom and Spurs, I think he'll come good, especially when he has two ball playing midfielders next to him!

Gray is starting 100% today (no cryptic tantrums:whistle:).

Just now, RoyFox said:

Musa has been the most threatening when deployed on the left wing, Arsenal, Palace and to a lesser extent West Brom and Spurs, I think he'll come good, especially when he has two ball playing midfielders next to him!

Gray is starting 100% today (no cryptic tantrums:whistle:).

Hopefully he comes good. Passive aggressive Instagram posts aren't going to fly forever.

Just now, Monk said:

I'd like to see Ulloa start tonight for a change. Not sure in what system but slim + Leo would be an interesting approach esp if we end up playing hoofball. 

Stick Morgan up there too, he's been our biggest threat 'up top' towards the end of the last two games! Would be hilarious

21 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You're presuming the system works the same under Ranieri as it did under Pearson. Percy said he was signed on the back of us not even watching him live, something I doubt we ever did under Pearson / Walsh working together. We always got the "we've been watching him for a long time" stuff post signing... don't remember that about him. Kapustka joined after Walsh went, so he could have had zero input.

I think you're right that Kapustka was a punt but I'm sure the coaching staff and chief scout would all of been consulted for a yeah or nah opinion. Didn't the media start our rumblings with him during the Euros in June when he was on fire. Steve Walsh was at the club during this time and moved to Everton in the last weeks of July.

The kids has raw talent like Gray and I'm sure we will see what he's made of in time. Gray himself has taken nearlly 12 months and is now knocking on the door of the first 11. 

Think Musa's best position would be the left side wide forward in a 433. Id like to see us give it a try tonight and think it would be worth a go in the league. Doesn't immediately suggest the solution to creativity issues but it puts the extra man in the middle and perhaps the creativity would come from a CM being able to join the attacks more often.

Typical really, for so many years I've been annoyed when we've tried it here and there without having the players to do so. Now I think we actually have the players and squad to have a proper crack at it and our manager doesn't seem to want to go anywhere near it.

At full strength, I'd like to see:

Schmeichel

Simpson

Morgan

Huth/Hernandez/Ndidi (?)

Fuchs

Amartey/Ndidi (?)

Drinkwater

Mendy

Mahrez

Slimani/Vardy

Musa

Needs work of course but one sub could switch it up in a number of ways, like Okazaki coming on for Mahrez or Musa could drop him behind 2 forwards.

Tonight Id try

Zieler

Simpson

Morgan

Hernandez

Fuchs

Amartey

Drinkwater

Mendy

Gray

Ulloa

Musa

I can't help thinking we have gone a stupid price to win tonight.  Yes the team is going to contain plenty of changes but the likes of Musa and Gray likely to be on the wings and possibly Mendy and Drinkwater starting in midfield is hardly weakening us.  Huth is a loss but then again he isn't playing well. It's feasible tonight's team is stronger than what we've been putting out recently and Porto are average at best. There's no way we should be double figures. 

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Think Musa's best position would be the left side wide forward in a 433. Id like to see us give it a try tonight and think it would be worth a go in the league. Doesn't immediately suggest the solution to creativity issues but it puts the extra man in the middle and perhaps the creativity would come from a CM being able to join the attacks more often.

Typical really, for so many years I've been annoyed when we've tried it here and there without having the players to do so. Now I think we actually have the players and squad to have a proper crack at it and our manager doesn't seem to want to go anywhere near it.

At full strength, I'd like to see:

Schmeichel

Simpson

Morgan

Huth/Hernandez/Ndidi (?)

Fuchs

Amartey/Ndidi (?)

Drinkwater

Mendy

Mahrez

Slimani/Vardy

Musa

Needs work of course but one sub could switch it up in a number of ways, like Okazaki coming on for Mahrez or Musa could drop him behind 2 forwards.

Tonight Id try

Zieler

Simpson

Morgan

Hernandez

Fuchs

Amartey

Drinkwater

Mendy

Gray

Ulloa

Musa

I see your logic but Shinji is pretty much the first name on the team sheet for me at the moment. He brings so much to how we play and is a great link player as well as adding to our defending from the front mentality. 

Archived