Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Porto away Pre Match & team selection discuss

7 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Musa isn't dog shit. He's barely had a chance. 

I'm resting Okazaki for the Man City game. Schluup did well as a WB in the great escape which is my thinking with him. Wasyl since he is a CB. Not sure Fuchs or Chilwell would be disciplined enough to keep shape at CB. Would be inclined to join the WBs leaving massive space. 

Tbh im not really fussed on the personnel. I would just really like to see a change in formation. 

Musa has been dog shit. 

He needs to prove otherwise - that's where we are with him.

He can't pass or control a football any better than a pub player from what we have seen.

36 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Musa has been dog shit. 

He needs to prove otherwise - that's where we are with him.

He can't pass or control a football any better than a pub player from what we have seen.

I never said he hasn't been dog shit. I said he isn't dog shit. There is a difference. Which was the original point I was making.

Just like Vardy. He is playing shit but we know what he is capable of. Get behind Musa rather than just branding him a pub player after only playing a bit part for us. He is 24 and has barely had a chance to establish himself. 

11 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Who gives a shite? Just get the game over with

Actually I do. As I imagine will around 3000 others who will be joining me in Porto a few hundred quid poorer.  

This is a dead rubber for us but an invaluable opportunity for those players everyone on here has been demanding Claudio to pick to show what they can do against quality opposition. And in any case this is the Champions League not the sodding EFL Cup! If we win, it'll be one to treasure.

I've spent the day in Lisbon and the weather here is gorgeous! Supposed to be up to 20 degrees next two days in Porto. This feels like a reward for all those years of pain watching my beloved club. I for one am going to enjoy it and forget the Premier League struggles for a few days. Hope I'm not the only one...

Slimani and Huth are one yellow away from a ban so I suspect they won't play.

Vardy should play and be told to put in some effort or he's out of the side. Musa should play so should Gray. I wouldn't bother taking Mahrez at all. Give him some time off at home. Drinkwater  should play and Mendy at least for some of the time to help his fitness. Fuchs needs a break so Chilwell in for him. As for the rest Hernandez for his long throws and Schlupp for the comedy factor.

9 hours ago, Bayfox said:

IF and it's a big IF, we played a different formation and fringe players and it worked, do you see claudio having the bollocks to stick with it and those players?

If the answer is yes great, however I suspect he will go back to the regular starters, in which case if he tries a new formation, it needs to be the players he plans to pick being part of it so they get used to it.

However I think we all know, there will be changes on weds, however it will be 4 4 ****ing 2.

I've not got anything against 4-4-2 tbf. We just don't have the perosonnel to play it right now. I would hope that Claudio would have the bollox, seen as he is the tinkerman and all that. 

Some highlights for you from the FC Porto forum... Enjoy!

The big question for this game, is whether or not Slimani plays. If he plays, I have no great doubts that he will score...

Slimani is not a super player, nor has he been playing very well, but against Porto, you know why, he's always in shape and he always scores.

strengthen the midfield giving Oliver Torres more freedom, Leicester is strong in the midfield.

Porto has everything to win the game, even because the Leicester away from home this year has been a shame

Their victory in England was more degrading than their merit. Therefore, play with the holders or we have no obligation to win because we are superior. 

The team may not play a great football but Leicester plays poorer

1 hour ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Giving away no secrets other than........

Subs, good enough you're old enough and possibly the only midfielder at the club that's excelling.

You're hinting at Barnes? So he's allowed to feature though not in the official squad on account of being a young'un?

15 hours ago, Hammo said:

Actually I do. As I imagine will around 3000 others who will be joining me in Porto a few hundred quid poorer.  

This is a dead rubber for us but an invaluable opportunity for those players everyone on here has been demanding Claudio to pick to show what they can do against quality opposition. And in any case this is the Champions League not the sodding EFL Cup! If we win, it'll be one to treasure.

I've spent the day in Lisbon and the weather here is gorgeous! Supposed to be up to 20 degrees next two days in Porto. This feels like a reward for all those years of pain watching my beloved club. I for one am going to enjoy it and forget the Premier League struggles for a few days. Hope I'm not the only one...

My bad mate. I meant it terms of meaningfulness of points etc.

Have a magic time! I'm only jealous I ain't there. 

Be interesting to see what CR does for this - I doubt he'll try out new formations or anything but I do expect to see Hernandez, Musa, Schlupp, Mendy and Gray on the field - maybe big Was too in a final CL outing!

..................Zieler

Hernandez Was Morgan Fuchs

Gray Mendy Drinks Schlupp

.............Ulloa  Musa

Subs: Huth, Slimani, Vardy, Mahrez, Albrighton, Simpson, Goalkeeper who's name escapes me. 

I'd rest Okazaki for Saturday because he's the key to scoring goals for us at the moment.

1 hour ago, harpendenfox said:

You're hinting at Barnes? So he's allowed to feature though not in the official squad on account of being a young'un?

Not suggesting that for one minute  ;-) 

Bit of stuff kicking about suggesting IF then it could happen, all hypothetical of course.

Locally trained etc +

'Can clubs change their squads again this season?
Yes ... if they get through to the knockout stage. Ahead of the round of 16, by midnight on 1 February, clubs can register a maximum of three new players. The overall limit of 25 players on List A remains, though'

Surely this is the opportunity we need to try a new system, and a few of the fringe players- see if we can do anything differently, give some of them a rest.

Zieler

Hernandez

Wasyl

Morgan

Albrighton

Drinkwater

King

Schlupp

Gray (free role)

Vardy

Ulloa

Rest Slimani so he doesn't get booked. Tell Vardy it's his last chance to show us he deserves to be in the side before he has a spell on the bench- see if we can get a reaction. Give Mendy half an hour, ease him back in.

Bring in Fuchs, Okazaki, Slim, Mahrez, Mendy for the Man City game in the same formation.

we owe it to Copenhagen to do our best, yes we can rest and rotate players but we would also like to go through the Champions league group stage unbeaten. what an achievement that would be no matter who the opposition was. whoever we get in the knockout stages it will be extremely difficult and we all just want to enjoy and savor the occasion.

the players need to show some sort of quality and belief and not only be competitive but show the form that got us into the Champions league. there needs to be a willingness to run the channels and the determination to get the ball into the box and have someone on the end of it, and to get the tackles in and to spray the ball around and use this match to get much needed confidence back ready for the slog in the league

Looks like Porto have been struggling for goals lately, would be good to sit deep and try and counter with pace like last year, If we can hold strong for an hour and Copenhagen can get a lead in Brugge it could give us a chance on the break. A win in Porto would surely do wonders for confidence

1 hour ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Not suggesting that for one minute  ;-) 

Bit of stuff kicking about suggesting IF then it could happen, all hypothetical of course.

Locally trained etc +

'Can clubs change their squads again this season?
Yes ... if they get through to the knockout stage. Ahead of the round of 16, by midnight on 1 February, clubs can register a maximum of three new players. The overall limit of 25 players on List A remains, though'

If the player is registered with UEFA, under 21 and has been with the club for more than 2 years/seasons (cannot remember which) - they are all freebies.  Don't count towards the 25 names on the list.  Quite a few of the under 23 would fulfill the criteria and can play

44 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

we owe it to Copenhagen to do our best, yes we can rest and rotate players but we would also like to go through the Champions league group stage unbeaten. what an achievement that would be no matter who the opposition was. whoever we get in the knockout stages it will be extremely difficult and we all just want to enjoy and savor the occasion.

the players need to show some sort of quality and belief and not only be competitive but show the form that got us into the Champions league. there needs to be a willingness to run the channels and the determination to get the ball into the box and have someone on the end of it, and to get the tackles in and to spray the ball around and use this match to get much needed confidence back ready for the slog in the league

I don't think we owe anything to Copenhagen. Not when the team's in dire straits in PL. Winning the group with one game to spare for the ever first participation, no matter the opposition, that's the tremendous achievement. Porto is a nothing game, try something new, play the young guns or the players who didn't have many game time. Let them taste how it is to play in the world's thoughest competition, it will boost their morale and could be only beneficial for the next PL fixtures. I'd be massively disappointed if CR aligns the usual suspects bar one or two.

Under 23s + match practice for fringe/returning players in the same old shite easily beaten tactics

OR

Experiment with new formation to take back to the league

Zieler

Hernandez Morgan Benalouane

Albrighton King Drinkwater Mendy Fuchs

Mahrez

Slimani

Hamer, Huth, Amartey, Vardy, Schlupp, Musa, Okazaki

• Huth just isn't mobile enough in a side which is less than solid
  • Albrighton & Fuchs with their ability to get up & down the pitch & crossing ability could be great wingbacks
  • Three in the middle, goes without saying we need an extra body to protect the defence
  • Mahrez in a free role, so he's not tracking back the whole game & he's free to find space
  • Slimani, good in the air to benefit from wingbacks crossing, plus he can knockdown for Mahrez & be fed by Mahrez

I'd go...

Hamer (time)

Hernandez.      Was.      Wes.          Chilwell

Kaputszka        Danny D.   Mendy.     Gray

Vardy  Ulloa

Subs:

Schlupp

Amartey

Zieler

Musa

Slimani

Simpson