Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Porto away Pre Match & team selection discuss

7 minutes ago, cc_star said:

Under 23s + match practice for fringe/returning players in the same old shite easily beaten tactics

OR

Experiment with new formation to take back to the league

Zieler

Hernandez Morgan Benalouane

Albrighton King Drinkwater Mendy Fuchs

Mahrez

Slimani

Hamer, Huth, Amartey, Vardy, Schlupp, Musa, Okazaki

• Huth just isn't mobile enough in a side which is less than solid
  • Albrighton & Fuchs with their ability to get up & down the pitch & crossing ability could be great wingbacks
  • Three in the middle, goes without saying we need an extra body to protect the defence
  • Mahrez in a free role, so he's not tracking back the whole game & he's free to find space
  • Slimani, good in the air to benefit from wingbacks crossing, plus he can knockdown for Mahrez & be fed by Mahrez

Benny Looney isnt named in the Champions League squad

3 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

Is Benny Looney in the Champions League squad?

Dunno, thought he was young enough to not need to be named

Just a way of getting Huth out the side to stop him lumbering around, Waz is no better but fouls more & Hernandez not looked comfortable in a 2... and we've sold Moore whose playing great at Reading

7 minutes ago, cc_star said:

Dunno, thought he was young enough to not need to be named

Just a way of getting Huth out the side to stop him lumbering around, Waz is no better but fouls more & Hernandez not looked comfortable in a 2... and we've sold Moore whose playing great at Reading

I can't understand why we sold Moore (young England international) yet kept Was (old slow and liable to kill someone)

1 hour ago, ZeGuy said:

I don't think we owe anything to Copenhagen. Not when the team's in dire straits in PL. Winning the group with one game to spare for the ever first participation, no matter the opposition, that's the tremendous achievement. Porto is a nothing game, try something new, play the young guns or the players who didn't have many game time. Let them taste how it is to play in the world's thoughest competition, it will boost their morale and could be only beneficial for the next PL fixtures. I'd be massively disappointed if CR aligns the usual suspects bar one or two.

Agree

Morgan, in particular, should not play. Time to rest those essential to the league who are looking jaded, and give the fringe players a run-out.

Would play Marez and Vardy and treat it as a practice in the hope that they click again.

One or more U23s will feature, rightly so.

4 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

we owe it to Copenhagen to do our best,

No, we owe Copenhagen nothing, but we do owe our travelling fans and honest and workman like display that's worthy of the Champions of England.

Play the strongest team possible. They don't deserve the night off! We don't look sharp in terms of core footballing skills.....passing, shooting, tackling/intercepting, off the ball movement, game management.

None of these get fixed by leaving them at home. There is no point in bringing in a load of youngsters in the hope that one of them is good enough to come into the first team. This season isn't getting fixed by some wonderkid coming in and doing the incredible, it's going to be sorted if the players perform at a higher standard and one that they have already shown last season.

4 hours ago, Eskay said:

Play the strongest team possible. They don't deserve the night off! We don't look sharp in terms of core footballing skills.....passing, shooting, tackling/intercepting, off the ball movement, game management.

None of these get fixed by leaving them at home. There is no point in bringing in a load of youngsters in the hope that one of them is good enough to come into the first team. This season isn't getting fixed by some wonderkid coming in and doing the incredible, it's going to be sorted if the players perform at a higher standard and one that they have already shown last season.

Because they're going to be fixed in one away game. And take the risk of any of your starters to get injured or getting a yellow synonym of game ban (Slimani / Huth). Especially with the luck we had the last months. There is a point bringing the youngsters on the pitch and that's called team management. Some of the players need a rest. That's what any team in this situation would do. It has little to do with expecting the coming of the new messiah and more with mid- and long term management. 

Just now, ZeGuy said:

Because they're going to be fixed in one away game. And take the risk of any of your starters to get injured or getting a yellow sysnonym of game ban (Slimani / Huth). Especially with the luck we had the last months. There is a point bringing the youngsters on the pitch and that's called team management. Some of the players need a rest. That's what any team in this situation would do. It has little to do with expecting the coming of the new messiah and more with mid- and long term management. 

No not in one game but certainly need a few. Man United, Man City, Chelsea have done it this season where the team is being picked to get them up to speed.

So what is one of the first teamers get injured? If there is a replacement/youngster that is available for UCL then why aren't they able to play in the league? And you mention some players, I could go through the entire first 11 and tell you how bad they have been and then go on to say 'so what' if there is an injury?

Of course it's not as cut and dry as that I understand your point. My point is that I would like them to get their sharpness back. They don't look physically unfit to me. They look like as a group they have no cohesion and a huge motivation problem. We have City on Saturday, if we play like we have for the last 4 or 5 weeks, we are fekd.

3 hours ago, Eskay said:

The only friendly game mid-season.

Play those who need to wake up

Don't play those who are knackered

Play fringe players ie Wes or what's the point.

Try alternatives for the risky and under performing positions even if it means introducing youngster excelling in U23s

Exposed for experienced / match fit cover at - Right back, Left back, central defence, midfield all, right wing and back up to Zeiler

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Zieler

Simpson

Hernandez

Morgan

Chilwell

Drinkwater

Mendy

Kapustka

Musa

Okazaki

Gray

Subs: Ulloa, Barnes, Amartey, Schlupp, Mahrez, Vardy, Slimani

Looks good

1/18 definite

Also be good to see Kapustka as although not ready to play in EPL could perform well against a continental side or show why he's not getting picked

4 hours ago, Eskay said:

No not in one game but certainly need a few. Man United, Man City, Chelsea have done it this season where the team is being picked to get them up to speed.

So what is one of the first teamers get injured? If there is a replacement/youngster that is available for UCL then why aren't they able to play in the league? And you mention some players, I could go through the entire first 11 and tell you how bad they have been and then go on to say 'so what' if there is an injury?

Of course it's not as cut and dry as that I understand your point. My point is that I would like them to get their sharpness back. They don't look physically unfit to me. They look like as a group they have no cohesion and a huge motivation problem. We have City on Saturday, if we play like we have for the last 4 or 5 weeks, we are fekd.

It is still the wrong game.

ManU are still searching for their starting XI, Man City have actually a difficult period (but will eventually sort it out) and Chelsea just switched to the 3-4-3 which Conté holds dearly and successfully experimented with the Juventus and Italy. Their players quality is leagues above ours and they just got a new coach. Hardly the same situation.

What if one of them is injured? Well lose Drinkwater you're screwed. Lose Shinji, you're screwed. Lose Fuchs, you're screwed. Lose Slimani, you're screwed. Lose Mahrez (yes, yes Mahrez. People who think Gray is able to deliver to the same level as Mahrez are in for a royal disappointement. He's has an enormous potential but is nowhere near to have the consistency. I'm personnally waiting to see him with a decent midfield before writing him off) you're screwed.

I don't see this game as being particularly important to regain cohesion or motivation. If it was for winning the group or the second place then yes. It's not the case. As I already said, it a nothing game and that will certainly play a role in the players head. Porto need the win and are going all out. They play at home and you'll see what it means. I'm happy to have played them for a couple of months as the situation wasn't so critical and the morale relatively high. Change your formation, give the promising ones a chance, they have something to prove and it will certainly be an entertaining game.

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Zieler

Simpson

Hernandez

Morgan

Chilwell

Drinkwater

Mendy

Kapustka

Musa

Okazaki

Gray

Subs: Ulloa, Barnes, Amartey, Schlupp, Mahrez, Vardy, Slimani

Would like that, only 2 changes would be Amartey in for Morgan as I think he could play well at CB.

Would also drop Ulloa (love his attitude but Slimani is better and Vardy will never be dropped completely although if I was in charge he is close) and put Ndwuku on the bench, do we really need 3 strikers on the bench?

1 hour ago, TheMightySystem said:

Would like that, only 2 changes would be Amartey in for Morgan as I think he could play well at CB.

Would also drop Ulloa (love his attitude but Slimani is better and Vardy will never be dropped completely although if I was in charge he is close) and put Ndwuku on the bench, do we really need 3 strikers on the bench?

For all those advocating Amartey in at centre back for Wes...why?

What has he shown you in games that make you want to replace the club captain with Daniel Amartey?

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

What has he shown you in games that make you want to replace the club captain with Daniel Amartey?

Wes deserves/needs a rest and Amartey is a centre back playing in midfield. Would be good to see if he looks any more competent in his natural position.

It wouldn't really be a case of dropping Wes, it would be giving him a rest, in a nothing game where we have the luxury of trying something different with no consequences.

Just now, Col city fan said:

Well I think Wes could do with a break and I would like to see Hernandez at CB as well in this game.

Between Huth and Morgan though I would rather drop Huth first before Morgan, its only because he needs a rest I would drop him for this one.

Amartey was a cb before at Coppenhagen wasn't he? Seeing as he hasn't set the world on fire at cm it might be worth giving him a shot in a role which requires less running about and more using his physicality and arial ability. Plus he played CB in the cup against Chelsea and I dont think he did too badly in that role.

8 minutes ago, TheMightySystem said:

Well I think Wes could do with a break and I would like to see Hernandez at CB as well in this game.

Between Huth and Morgan though I would rather drop Huth first before Morgan, its only because he needs a rest I would drop him for this one.

Amartey was a cb before at Coppenhagen wasn't he? Seeing as he hasn't set the world on fire at cm it might be worth giving him a shot in a role which requires less running about and more using his physicality and arial ability. Plus he played CB in the cup against Chelsea and I dont think he did too badly in that role.

His main position was CB but the manager at Copenhagen moved him forward to CDM due to his stamina and physical stature. 

2 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

The only friendly game mid-season.

Exposed for experienced / match fit cover at - Right back, Left back, central defence, midfield all, right wing and back up to Zeiler

So basically all the positions?

Archived