Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Everton (Home) Pre-Match Thread

Kasper

Simpson

Morgan

Amartey

Chilwell

Gray

Drinkwater

King

Albrighton

Mahrez

Slimani

I'd play Albrighton in front of chilwell, and Gray in front of Simpson so at least both youngsters have some experience backing them up. It would be criminal to play both on the left.

6 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Why is everyone writing off Chilwell? 

He had a bad game last time out granted but tell me who actually didn't that night? 

He was no better or worse than anyone.

I can  see lot of egg on people's faces when he plays outstanding but of course everyone then here will be bigging  him up as world class.

People here on Foxestalk  change their opinions more than QPR change their managers. 

It was mainly because I did think he played worse than the others, although since he was on the firing line his errors would be more costly than everyone else's. I'd probably start him this game, despite my reservations, since he has more future potential than Schlupp at left back at least. Hope he has a belter.

22 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I'd be sorely tempted to give Musa a go. Not as some left winger. But as the central striker, alongside one other.

He can score goals for fun and I can't believe he can continue to be as bad as he has looked. But I think this could be based on how we've used him (ie to come on late when we are chasing a game). I feel there must surely be more to come from him, as a starter, and played in his natural position.

Musa DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY AS A CENTRAL STRIKER he has said so himself, every time we try it he goes and stands in front of the left winger, he is a wide striker in a 433 a system we don't use

6 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Given the recent conspiracy theory's discovered by our fans that the FA are attempting to get Everton as high up the league as possible and and have it in for us I am not feeling to confident. 

3-0 Everton, all dodgey pens (all scored by Ross Barkley to add insult), Andy King to get sent off for improper tone of voice. Fox Mulder to show up at FT and begin helping us discover "The Truth"

At last you have seen the light. 

1 hour ago, dynamark said:

At least at left back Jeff doesn't have to think too much more like reacting to the situation  he is is quick and strong.He seems lost in midfield where he has to make decisions/ something happen.A choice between the two Id go with Jeff

Chilwell is easy on the eye but rarely makes a tackle(reminds me of Lawrence),turns his back and I think he often goes forward when caution is needed.Wish him well though .

Amarty wth Morgan .Mahrez has to play and Albrighton.for defence

I understand the feeling for Gray but he is great later when the game is stretched and players are fatigued ,Same problem when we had Knocky and Mahrez couldn't play em both.

I'll counter your case for Schlupp, and as I'm short of time this evening I'll get to the point. 

There is no way that lazy, useless ****er should ever play for the first team again. 

Guest CityFan 06

Everton are a good side with some quality players. Although they haven't been in the best run of form lately, I can still see them finishing comfortably in the top half at least, maybe even top ten.

Changes will inevitably be made due to the absences of Huth, Fuchs and Vardy. I think Albrighton could be effective in this one but in a midfield three as opposed to LM. This allows Gray (who warrants starting) freedom in a front three as a LW, and Albrighton would be helpful to Chilwell down that side as in this formation he could still cover that left flank.

In a general sense, I think playing Albrighton as a centre midfielder could work, because he's got the vision and distribution to do a job there. His work rate could be industrious in the centre of the park, just as it is at LM - something to think about perhaps. Amartey is worth keeping in the side given his heroics at Stoke, and he seems to be finding his feet in the league which is good. Due to his versatility, I feel he is capable of dropping back to CB with Morgan, allowing Drinkwater to come into the side. However, if Drinkwater isn't available, I'd probably go with Hernandez at CB, and Amartey keeping his usual place at CM, pairing up with any of King, Albrighton, Mendy or James. 

There's a case for Ulloa and Musa definitely. Leo came on & made an impact vs Stoke, and the latter, well I feel we haven't yet seen the best of Musa yet, in other words there's more to come from him in my view. Players like Ulloa and Musa need regular game time for a full representation of what they can do, and that goes for many of our squad, or football in general. He might look at playing Musa as a Vardy alternative, and in January we will most likely be seeing more of Musa anyway, so he may introduce him for this one to start getting him ready for more action. Okazaki still important to feature, as he provides the link between the midfield and forward line. Recently, he's chipped in with a few goals in league/europe so he's in decent form. Worthy of starting place for sure.

This is an unlikely formation / lineup, but I'd choose this for Boxing Day:

Schmeichel

Simpson Morgan Amartey Chilwell

Drinkwater Albrighton

Okazaki

Mahrez Slimani Gray

46 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Musa DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY AS A CENTRAL STRIKER he has said so himself, every time we try it he goes and stands in front of the left winger, he is a wide striker in a 433 a system we don't use

How long does this 'I don't want to play in such and such a position' or 'we only want to play 442' last for?

Who's the fookin manager here? Ranieri or the players?

2 hours ago, OllieLodge96 said:

Not starting Gray would be criminal.... I just don't get what more he can do to warrant a starting place?

If we still had Fuchs I'd have agreed, but it's risky playing both him and Chilwell I think. I'd be looking at starting him against West Ham.

25 minutes ago, CityFan 06 said:

Everton are a good side with some quality players. Although they haven't been in the best run of form lately, I can still see them finishing comfortably in the top half at least, maybe even top ten.

Changes will inevitably be made due to the absences of Huth, Fuchs and Vardy. I think Albrighton could be effective in this one but in a midfield three as opposed to LM. This allows Gray (who warrants starting) freedom in a front three as a LW, and Albrighton would be helpful to Chilwell down that side as in this formation he could still cover that left flank.

In a general sense, I think playing Albrighton as a centre midfielder could work, because he's got the vision and distribution to do a job there. His work rate could be industrious in the centre of the park, just as it is at LM - something to think about perhaps. Amartey is worth keeping in the side given his heroics at Stoke, and he seems to be finding his feet in the league which is good. Due to his versatility, I feel he is capable of dropping back to CB with Morgan, allowing Drinkwater to come into the side. However, if Drinkwater isn't available, I'd probably go with Hernandez at CB, and Amartey keeping his usual place at CM, pairing up with any of King, Albrighton, Mendy or James. 

There's a case for Ulloa and Musa definitely. Leo came on & made an impact vs Stoke, and the latter, well I feel we haven't yet seen the best of Musa yet, in other words there's more to come from him in my view. Players like Ulloa and Musa need regular game time for a full representation of what they can do, and that goes for many of our squad, or football in general. He might look at playing Musa as a Vardy alternative, and in January we will most likely be seeing more of Musa anyway, so he may introduce him for this one to start getting him ready for more action. Okazaki still important to feature, as he provides the link between the midfield and forward line. Recently, he's chipped in with a few goals in league/europe so he's in decent form. Worthy of starting place for sure.

This is an unlikely formation / lineup, but I'd choose this for Boxing Day:

Schmeichel

Simpson Morgan Amartey Chilwell

Drinkwater Albrighton

Okazaki

Mahrez Slimani Gray

We would get thrashed. Basically a 4-2-4 with Albrighton as a CM.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Well he should buck his ideas up then shouldnt he.

Stop being a moany waste of 15m quid and do as your manager asks.

Chilwell reminds me of a left sided version of Richie de Laet. Great going forward but gets skinned too often. He is obviously still young, so plenty of time to improve the defensive side of his game, which he will need to do to make it in Claudio's 442-only formation.

Unfortunately we are in a dodgy position right now, so can't afford to take chances. It would be different if we were comfortably mid table. 

If 442 is the only club in the bag I don't think there is much doubt that Claudio will plumb for Chilwell and sacrifice Gray in the starting lineup.

50 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

How long does this 'I don't want to play in such and such a position' or 'we only want to play 442' last for?

Who's the fookin manager here? Ranieri or the players?

Think it's more he's got poor positional discipline rather than refusing to play up front as the guy claimed, no denying he constantly drifts wide, and plays his best from out wide though

48 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Think it's more he's got poor positional discipline rather than refusing to play up front as the guy claimed, no denying he constantly drifts wide, and plays his best from out wide though

I never said he refused to I said he doesn't want to and will always drift wide to where he is more comfortable.

It seems like the only people that want 442 are the players yet the squad itself seems to be set up for a 433

I get the feeling Claudio wants to change formation but is resisting because, as we've heard, the players wanted to persist with 442.

However, since then we lost 1 and drawn 1 and suspensions will force his hand to change from 442.

Ulloa came on last week and scored, and Slimani has done nothing in past few games to suggest he should continue starting. Also Grays impact last game has to mean he will start.

Kasper

Simpson
Morgan
Hernandez
Chilwell

Drinky
Amartey

Gray
Mahrez
Albrighton

Ulloa

Need Albrightons protection for Chillwel. Mahrez into this centre has always been on the cards for a player like him, his poor form should force this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

For Fooks sake! Listen to what you are saying! Musa is a pro footballer. If the manager tells him to play up front and not keep drifting out wide, he should bloody do it! What are they being coached for?!

It seems to me like this squad are taking the pee.

Let's be honest you don't really have a clue what's going on behind the scenes and what the squad dynamics are currently. Can we please not forget these are experienced premiership footballers, I'd be gobsmacked if as a squad they were rejecting a formation change just because Musa has had a little paddy about playing upfront!! You're not telling me that intelligent players like Schmeichel and Kingy who regularly speak to the management wouldn't suggest a formation change if they felt things would be more beneficial to us? I think this Ranieri remark about the squad saying they like 442 has to be taken with a pinch of salt to some extent

Referee: Stuart Attwell
Linesmen: D Cann and D Bryan
Fourth Official: M Dean

Match Day referee Attwell has officiated 12 games in 2016/17 with a return of 42 yellow cards and three red cards.

This season his highest card count was seven yellows and two reds in the Oxford v Swindon Town game.

He took in 44 matches in 2015-16 and in those games, across all competitions and football divisions, he handed out a total of 118 yellow cards and four red cards.

He was most card happy in the match between Plymouth and Crawley on October 3 with a total of six yellows being shown.

Let`s hope it`s not another repeat and more of our players edge closer to automatic bans.

Read more: http://www.leicester.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=473086#ixzz4Tf273T9u

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Let`s hope it`s not another repeat and more of our players edge closer to automatic bans.

Doubtful.

Mahrez is our only player on 3, so he'd have to pick up a yellow in each of our next games (before the yellows get reset for the "5 yellows = 1 game ban" rule) to miss Boro, except won't he be gone by then anyway for AFCON?

Simpson is on 6, so I guess if he gets booked, then it might be a bit worrying - as picking up 10 in one season, regardless of before or after the new year, results in a 2 game ban.

18 hours ago, CityFan 06 said:

Sorry, I cannot let that pass without comment........made me laugh

Archived