Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Marvin

Leicester where they should be - sick of this

Considering we barely managed to survive a relegation struggle when we're dead last for months before Ranieri took over our beloved club, I think some people forgot that our 18th place is a reflection of our true level.

What we did last season is nothing short but overperforming with Ranieri in charge.

I'm aware it's a very controversial opinion of mine, but I think we've to be realistic.

We can't use the last season as benchmark, we'll probably never see happening again in our lifetime.

As the title says, do you agree with us being back at normal level?

If not, then why do you think we're better than the table shows?

Certainly 2 seasons ago our average post war position was 22nd (not sure how much last season and the great escape has boosted us), so a top flight relegation battle is, historically, our position.

The problem people have more is we've got a title winning side with another 80m of talent added; which is woefully underperforming.

7 minutes ago, Drygon said:

Considering we barely managed to survive a relegation struggle when we're dead last for months before Ranieri took over our beloved club, I think some people forgot that our 18th place is a reflection of our true level.

What we did last season is nothing short but overperforming with Ranieri in charge.

I'm aware it's a very controversial opinion of mine, but I think we've to be realistic.

We can't use the last season as benchmark, we'll probably never see happening again in our lifetime.

As the title says, do you agree with us being back at normal level?

If not, then why do you think we're better than the table shows?

Is relegation candidates normal level for Stoke? Three consecutive 9th place finishes. Is it normal level for Southampton. Couple of top 10 finishes recently. West Brom?

Of course it's "normal" in the context of the club's history.

Whats extremely frustrating and patronising is that the club's fans and owners are being demonised for aspiring to anything more than that off the back of the greatest imaginable platform.

The whole idea that fans of some clubs should automatically be allowed to aspire to more for their football club than others is totally at odds with the idea of sport as competition.

People are used to seeing us struggle for relegation so its easy for people to say 'there where they should be' but we have a squad that is capable, when on form to become an established outfit in the PL. We deserve to be where we are because our performances this season have been woeful and shit but we know we're better than that. 

Guest CityFan 06

If we do stay up after this season, this is the thing I didn't want - relegation battles year on year. It's a trap we could easily fall into & I really hope we do not. We ought to be aiming higher and looking at establishing ourselves in the top half / top ten. I hope we don't settle for just trying to survive each season. It's important, yes, but we needn't settle just for that. I'd like to see us survive comfortably season on season. Stoke, Everton, West Brom and Southampton all manage it.

Why should we have a "normal level"? There's no such thing. 

Football is all about striving to reach the very top. That is what the club should be doing in the coming years (yes we won the PL, but surely we should be aiming to become a club that consistently competes in the PL and gets itself into a position to challenge again for major honours... that includes winning the league again).

Oh great, more of this shite.

Clubs like Stoke and West Brom have finished safely for consecutive seasons now.

In the late 90s under O'Neill we consistently finished top 10. And in our history we've finished 2nd and 4th in the top flight. 

Why is 18th our "level" ?

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

What's the point in paying to go to football matches if you want "normal level".

I'll tell you what isn't normal level. Spending £80m on players and not being good enough to stay up.

And especially after winning the league by 10pts the season before.

Given our results this season and our dramatic escape from relegation two seasons back what other argument is there? Had we improved our title-winning team, yes, we should have been well forward of today's position but we didn't,  and that was clear after the first few fixtures.

With the owners known ambition and a truly proficient manager it could change quickly but the latter won't be easy for us to find and attract.   

Owners want consistent European football. We just won the league and are in the last 16 of the champions league.

Bigger clubs developed their 'natural places' by winning the league and playing in Europe- why the **** wouldn't it have any bearing on our stature as a club?

2 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Owners want consistent European football. We just won the league and are in the last 16 of the champions league.

Bigger clubs developed their 'natural places' by winning the league and playing in Europe- why the **** wouldn't it have any bearing on our stature as a club?

Because you're thinking like our owners and Ranieri  while the team is heading for the relative oblivion of the Championship. Status? We'll be a laughing stock.

And even if we won the Champions League which is ultimate delusion, we'd be regarded as freaks rather like exhibits in those old time travelling circuses. And that's the only status it would give us until we returned to the Premiership and started performing and improving consistently..

Archived