Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Marvin

Leicester where they should be - sick of this

This attitude in the media is making me angry. Yes we are typically a yo yo club but does that mean we have to settle for that for eternity. We meaning owners players and fans. 

Wjat we achieved was miraculous and gave us a platform to establish ourselves as a Stoke, West Brom type side who don't really flirt with relegation and harbour Ambitions of a good cup run and top 10 target. 

The only decent media article I've read is from northcroft in the times who hints that the players are hurting and don't want the legacy to die but we're being eroded by multiple changes in preparation tactics and staff. I'm still annoyed by the visible lack of effort and leadership on the pitch but I'm certain the right decision has been made. Maybe a little too late

when were we allowed to sack him?  Allow him to relegate us then it's on?  Allow him to have a poor start to the next season in the championship and then sack him?  There was no evidence any of those scenarios was likely to be successful as the team just look devoid of energy ambition and will. 

I just wish they'd had a proper chat and agreed a step down scenario for him but I think he's too proud for that. 

3 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

A majority of fans were saying we would be happy with a mid table finish.

I would certainly be happy with mid table. Last season was not a true reflection of our squads quality.

I know people go on about what we have spent but to go above and beyond, 80m is pennies compared to what you need to invest.

1 hour ago, justfoxes said:

Back to the future !!

wish we could go back and persuade Kante not to be a Cnut and ditch us for Chelski,anyone got a Delorian and a spare fluxcapacitor lying about anywhere???

:wasyl:

Back to May 16th and give everyone a slap while they are on the victory parade.Kante? Where we're going we don't need Kante!

It takes years to establish yourself as a stable premier league side, last season was a freak, we aren't as good as some people think.

Poor recruitment and average players who had a freak season, we are where we should be.

Hopefully survived a strange season come summer, mass clear out, and hopefully replace the average players with better, finish mid table next year, that's what I believe what we should be realistically looking at

11 minutes ago, eblair said:

ian wright is really good here, keown is alright, michael owen is a contemptuous shit (drinky, da laet, simpson - you're united reserves all have as many pl medals as you)

Yes Wright is absolutely spot on, good to hear.

11 hours ago, TK95 said:

Absolutely hope we destroy Liverpool on Monday.

Would love to see his answer then

His answer presumably would be the same as mine 'where have you snivelling little workshys been hiding all season'! On Monday they've put themselves in a no win situation. I can always forgive a lack of ability, I can't forgive lack of effort for the money they are on. Can anyone hand on heart honestly say that all the players have given maximum effort this season? Some of them are an absolute disgrace and the sooner they're gone the better. Even if you don't like the manager, wages, attitude and basic moral fibre should make you work hard.

I've never bought into this big club natural position stuff. There's only one maybe two big clubs who can make that claim. I've asked the question before, Can someone tell me what defines a big Club. Is it size of Ground, number of fans. Wealth of owners or value of squad. I don't really know.

I can remember the Lisbon lyons, a bunch of Football pensioners who shocked Football by winning the European cup. Then tehre was the Wimbledon/Watford rise from the 4 division to the premiership, Contract those clubs to  Blackburn's win when they effectively bought the trophy. Now Man city who were a 3rd div team a few years ago, Were they a big Club then ?.But again bought their way to the top. You could say the same about Chelsea.

The point I'm making is that Football is a reasonably simple game and good teams can be built on the cheap as well as trowing a lot of money at the team. Whether the Club has resources or not. All of the so called top Clubs have struggled  at one time or another.

We've been nothing special for 10 years before last season

O'Niell gave us 4 good years in the Premiership along with three Cup Finals

Bloomfield and Milne gave us some of the best football seen at Filbert St

Pearson gave us excitement as well  League 1, Championship Winners and Play Off, plus the Greatest Escape in Premiership History

Let's be fair our expectations went up on the back of last season and the team have failed to deliver.

I thought Claudio would be our Ferguson or Wenger but that's not going to happen now

I want excitement not mid table. Give me Cup Finals, Championship Play Offs, Winning Leagues ( League 1, Championship or Premier )

I want passion, teamwork, people who play for the shirt cos they care,

But I don't want Pearson back. There's got to be a Manager out there who could do it.

We just need to find him    :fc:

Yes, it probably is. Doesn't stop you trying to improve on it and make changes if you feel necessary. 

I believe that 12-15th in the Championship is below our natural level so if we are there in a year's time, are we allowed to complain if Ranieri was still in charge or would the job for life argument still exist?

Doesn't work like that, should Man City and Chelsea not expect to win titles because they traditionally haven't for a long time.

No, they expect to because they have invested to better themselves. We've done exactly the same thing on a smaller scale.

Forget last season, we don't expect that. But we have every right to expect more than we are currently getting in terms of points and performances.

This may not be relevant and I apologise if its not.

In 1995 University of Leicester hosted three lectures about football delivered by guest speakers -  Graham Taylor, Pat Nevin and the then Chairman of the club, Martin George. All the lectures were fascinating and none more so than Martin George's.

Bearing in mind that this was 22 years ago, he spoke about why Leicester City were a serial  yo-yo club between the first and second division - that this was the 'norm'. He argued that their was a direct correlation between the average positions of league clubs in the top two divisions over recent years and a club's ground capacity - he didn't mention attendances though.

He demonstrated that our then ground capacity, as compared to the ground capacity of the others teams in the top two leagues, mirrored (within a position or two) the club's average league position over the last few years

Martin George explained how the club managed it's finances. The importance of ground size and the resulting ticket revenues generated were used to pay player salaries and, therefore, the larger the capacity the greater the revenue generated and the greater potential to attract better players with higher wages - hence higher average league position for those clubs with bigger grounds. Transfers were paid for by commercial activities, selling players and income, TV deals and some investment from the chairman or board.

Apart from two clubs bucking the then trend - over-achievers Wimbledon (small ground and attendances) and under-achievers Wolves (big ground and but poor league positions) generally and surprisingly this argument appeared stacked up.

It would be interesting to see if this still rings true given the current TV deals and commercial activities etc. However, if it is still relevant, it doesn't explain clubs of equal size to city performing better than us currently. Perhaps being a yo-yo is our 'norm' and last year was a statistical blip - a fantastically wonderful blip nonetheless and one that I would have hoped could have been built on to become a regular mid-table team or higher if the right conditions and players came together. 

1 hour ago, eblair said:

ian wright is really good here, keown is alright, michael owen is a contemptuous shit (drinky, da laet, simpson - you're united reserves all have as many pl medals as you)

the way Owen sneered "I've played with half of them"....what a w*****

So what if some of them didn't get into United's first team and went down to the championship. they proved themselves there, built themselves up and did it the hard way.

Because he's played for the likes of Liverpool, United and Real Madrid, he seems to think he can dismiss them as players.

So up his own a****

8 minutes ago, 38trout said:

In 1995 University of Leicester hosted three lectures about football delivered by guest speakers -  Graham Taylor, Pat Nevin and the then Chairman of the club, Martin George. All the lectures were fascinating and none more so than Martin George's.

Bearing in mind that this was 22 years ago, he spoke about why Leicester City were a serial  yo-yo club between the first and second division - that this was the 'norm'. He argued that their was a direct correlation between the average positions of league clubs in the top two divisions over recent years and a club's ground capacity - he didn't mention attendances though.

He demonstrated that our then ground capacity, as compared to the ground capacity of the others teams in the top two leagues, mirrored (within a position or two) the club's average league position over the last few years

Martin George explained how the club managed it's finances. The importance of ground size and the resulting ticket revenues generated were used to pay player salaries and, therefore, the larger the capacity the greater the revenue generated and the greater potential to attract better players with higher wages - hence higher average league position for those clubs with bigger grounds. Transfers were paid for by commercial activities, selling players and income, TV deals and some investment from the chairman or board.

Apart from two clubs bucking the then trend - over-achievers Wimbledon (small ground and attendances) and under-achievers Wolves (big ground and but poor league positions) generally and surprisingly this argument appeared stacked up.

It would be interesting to see if this still rings true given the current TV deals and commercial activities etc. However, if it is still relevant, it doesn't explain clubs of equal size to city performing better than us currently. Perhaps being a yo-yo is our 'norm' and last year was a statistical blip - a fantastically wonderful blip nonetheless and one that I would have hoped could have been built on to become a regular mid-table team or higher if the right conditions and players came together. 

I would suggest stadium capacity is possibly a lot closer between these clubs, plus the level of TV money and speculation from investors at board level challenges Martin George's view these days... but that the basic logic is statistically sound.

As an example of the theory, Bristol is a huge city but neither club has had a capacity over 25,000 hence a reason why both sides struggle in the lower tiers.

Jose wrote an article or was interviewed at the beginning of the season.

My recollection of the story went:

Last season was a shock, none of the big teams thought it would happen

It happens in all the leagues, a small team does well then the big teams buy their players or go out and buy better players

This puts the smaller teams back in their place. He may be an arse but it sounds familiar.

22 minutes ago, 38trout said:

very happy with this logic would put us 12th in Premiership currently but 19th Overall, stands up with my actual feelings that the team this season should be 10th-14th

Archived