Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Ben Gibson - Interest

14 hours ago, FoxonMaui said:

Agree with this. Think we should get Gibson even if it costs 25m. I could also see why Shaky might prefer Evans due to his positional sense and experience but for me the massive upside of Gibson makes going for him a no brainier. With Gibson and Maguire we may very likely end up with the best rated  two English center backs in the country by the end of the coming season. With Iheanacho on board as well I can see us very hard to score against and lethal on the break, with or without Riyad. If he stays I can see us pushing for top four this season.

No it doesn't get the better player for us now.  Defenders play well into their 30's. we have our young up and coming CB in Maguire, Evens would be a great addition replacing Wes

1 hour ago, Unclenobhead said:

In all honesty as great as he has been, and still is, I think anyone who has watched him live recently can see Morgan's legs have gone .

Huth is maybe a season away from the same fate, it's a tough one, do you play Maguire and Huth to start with and swap Morgan in for Huth now and then or get either Evans or Gibson in now and go with a fresh two?  

As hard as it sounds I think you have to bite the bullet and get one or the other in now to play with Maguire and use Huth and Morgan to fight over a back up position.

Harsh I know but it going to happen next season anyway so why not now when the replacements ate available?

Agreed ? 

18 minutes ago, Hack said:

No it doesn't get the better player for us now.  Defenders play well into their 30's. we have our young up and coming CB in Maguire, Evens would be a great addition replacing Wes

IMO we should go for Gibson sooner rather than later if we don't we will miss out on a quality player. 

4 hours ago, vanity said:

"Also we need to stick with a transfer strategy of only buying players under 25 who we can get with big upside."

Certainly best to spend the money when the young players are available -- Maguire, Iheanacho, Gibson, etc. -- but to round out the team with the less expensive, hard-working, hard-nosed veterans who still have a few good seasons left (like Iborra) makes a lot of sense to me. Where LCFC is at the moment, I think we have to do both to field the best team possible.

Agree we may be out on Gylfi unless we are certain Nacho is mainly going to be the secondary striker. If Nacho is going to play as an AM, Gylfi might be redundant, though I would love to see a 3-4-1-2, with Gylfi, Ndidi, DD, and Gray in that midfield. Or a 4-4-2 with a  MF of DD-Ndidi-Gylfi-Gray coupled with Nacho as secondary and Vardy/Slim up front. I suspect we will play a 4-4-2 on defense, but on the attack, shift to more of a 3-5-2 look, possibly a 4-3-3. We are adding versatile players, that is what we need to play a more modern game, and I think we will be all the better for it.

Honestly, with Nacho in the fold, I would pay whatever is necessary for Gibson and Gylfi, then start the sell off. That is a top-5 team.  If we added those two, then we could sell Zieler, Amartey, Musa, Ulloa, Mahrez, and at least one of either Benalouane or Morgan. Even if we only get 40 for Mahrez, that is a 60-70 million transfer kitty. That roughly pays for both Gylfi and Gibson. If necessary, take a loss on Slim, pick up 20 mill, and make this move. Though I cannot imagine how the team could be in need of money for signings to the extent it needs to sell Slim.

Are you serious? a 25 year old limit?  You have no idea.

1 hour ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

IMO we should go for Gibson sooner rather than later if we don't we will miss out on a quality player. 

I agree...  It could be a signing that defines LCFC for the next ten years

2 hours ago, Hack said:

Are you serious? a 25 year old limit?  You have no idea.

I was saying that we did NOT want a 25-year old limit, that we need older players. I was quoting a poster who said that.we should focus on 25-and-under.

43 minutes ago, vanity said:

I was saying that we did NOT want a 25-year old limit, that we need older players. I was quoting a poster who said that.we should focus on 25-and-under.

Oh got it.

Perhaps Gibson wants to know that he will play every week and because we already signed Maguire, we can't commit to that ?  Evans, at his age, perhaps just wants a big contract for his family and will take his chances re playing. Gibson wants to get into the England squad so has to get consistent game time for that. 

Do we really want a defensive pairing both aged 24 with limited Premier League experience? I'd be ok having Smalling or Evans as a partner for Maguire but a Gibson-Maguire partnership may be a little inexperienced?

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Do we really want a defensive pairing both aged 24 with limited Premier League experience? I'd be ok having Smalling or Evans as a partner for Maguire but a Gibson-Maguire partnership may be a little inexperienced?

Your forgetting Morgan and Huth. Both will still play a major role this season. 

54 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Your forgetting Morgan and Huth. Both will still play a major role this season. 

If we signed both they likely have 1/3rd of the season split between them? We spend £40m+ on defenders then they really have to play the majority of the time 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

You mean like the EPL Champions 2015/16?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

If we signed both they likely have 1/3rd of the season split between them? We spend £40m+ on defenders then they really have to play the majority of the time 

I'm not saying they will both play every game but Morgan is captain AND Huth has been our best defender in recent times.

Injuries suspensions and maybe playing 3 at the back will ensure they both will still have a big part to play.

You don't just change your team overnight it does not work like that. It's not football manager. 

2 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

I'm not saying they will both play every game but Morgan is captain AND Huth has been our best defender in recent times.

Injuries suspensions and maybe playing 3 at the back will ensure they both will still have a big part to play.

You don't just change your team overnight it does not work like that. It's not football manager. 

This. There's going to be a transitional period. Same for Nacho. He's not going to play every game and dependant on the opposition we may well have different line-ups to deal with different threats.

1 hour ago, Buce said:

You mean like the EPL Champions 2015/16?

Who's defence included Fuchs with vast international and continental experience, and Huth and Simpson with a good amount of premier league experience each

7 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

That's sort of my argument. Our successes have been based on consistency and having Gibson and Maguire would require fair rotation to keep Morgan/Huth happy. I'd just be surprised if we played at least until January without either Morgan/Huth as a starting centre back. And it's going to be a difficult decision which to drop. 

13 hours ago, Bamba's Babes said:

I just don't understand it. Am I watching different games to everyone else?

Huth is the one to drop, not Morgan.

Huth's legs, to be honest I'm not sure we even signed them when he arrived, have gone! Morgan still has some athleticism. No doubt that Morgan plays better with Huth but he's not a bad defender on his own. He's also the captain and it would cause an arseache in the squad if he was dropped.

Jesus Christ i'm relieved that you've said this. Thought I was going crazy because in my eyes Huth had some periods of being worse than Morgan ever played and when people talk about mobility and ability on the ball Morgan is basically Coutinho compared to Huth. I think people are getting confused with Morgan's injuries towards the end of last season.

Same people who think Mendy is personally responsible for his season: the idiot shouldnt go around breaking his ankle and wasting everybody's time and money

14 hours ago, Bamba's Babes said:

I just don't understand it. Am I watching different games to everyone else?

Huth is the one to drop, not Morgan.

Huth's legs, to be honest I'm not sure we even signed them when he arrived, have gone! Morgan still has some athleticism. No doubt that Morgan plays better with Huth but he's not a bad defender on his own. He's also the captain and it would cause an arseache in the squad if he was dropped.

29 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Jesus Christ i'm relieved that you've said this. Thought I was going crazy because in my eyes Huth had some periods of being worse than Morgan ever played and when people talk about mobility and ability on the ball Morgan is basically Coutinho compared to Huth. I think people are getting confused with Morgan's injuries towards the end of last season.

Same people who think Mendy is personally responsible for his season: the idiot shouldnt go around breaking his ankle and wasting everybody's time and money

Couldn't agree more with both of you. Huth - though has been brilliant - is definitely the one to drop for me. Morgans the bloody captain, and for me has always played better when he's playing with better CBs alongside them. 

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Couldn't agree more with both of you. Huth - though has been brilliant - is definitely the one to drop for me. Morgans the bloody captain, and for me has always played better when he's playing with better CBs alongside them. 

Both are not good enough 

I'd prefer Smalling or Evans or even Zouma on season long loan, but Gibson would still be a decent signing and I like the idea of Maguire and him forming a central partnership that can last for years. 

I'd throw Man U a tempting bid for Smalling (25+million) or even offer a season long loan, as I think he is the best of these 4, although Zouma would be a beast here. 

Can't see WBA letting Evans go though. Get Gibson in if we fail on Smalling/Zouma

Archived