Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Ben Gibson - Interest

9 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

Once Kelechi has been announced I think Evans will be the one :) 

I would prefer Gibson but would be very happy with Evans. The CB spot would be taken care of for some time to come.

10 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Huth is injured and might be out for a while

Thanks. I assume the injury was picked up during the previous week at Belvoir Drive?

Bit of a shame that. Morgan and Huth keep falling apart, thought we'd be ok with CBs for now, but not any more

10 hours ago, brucey said:

Thanks. I assume the injury was picked up during the previous week at Belvoir Drive?

Bit of a shame that. Morgan and Huth keep falling apart, thought we'd be ok with CBs for now, but not any more

Isn't this Huth's first significant injury for us? He used to be in the wars a bit at Stoke but the only games I can remember him missing here are through suspension. 

20 hours ago, MPH said:

I dont think the situations are any different, i think the problem is that more information is available to us and, in our mind, that complicates things.

It doesnt seem that long ago to me that the first bit of info we used to get was the back page of the Mercury telling us someone was ' set to sign' when the reality is we dont have a scooby what went on in the weeks leading up to that article.

Neither did we hear about all the players we were interested on only for us to not agree a fee, not  agree personal terms or players who rejected us or clubs who outbit us. Sure there does seem to be the added 'interference' of football agents these days, but they want deals to be done as much as we do, if not more!

We didnt used to hear about hardly any of that.

I'm NOT criticizing  the information we now get - im glad to hear about it all.  we just need to take it in the context of  things are constantly going on behind the scenes.. things that we never even used to get a sniff of happening...

Bit sensible...

56 minutes ago, Melbourne Fuchs said:

Isn't this Huth's first significant injury for us? He used to be in the wars a bit at Stoke but the only games I can remember him missing here are through suspension. 

think so, but Huth was playing through injury through the end of last season and Shakey withdrew him as soon as we were mathematically safe.

getting re-injured in the warm up part of preseason isn't a great sign, if true

1 hour ago, FrankieADZ said:

tbf thought we was looking at getting another CB in regardless, personally think Gibson would be a better option long term compared to Evans

Have to dis-agree both Gibson and Maguire are relatively inexperienced in the prem.

Evans is a solid experienced international defender and will help Maguire fulfill his potential.

Long term,he's got three or four years,that's still a significant amount these days.

39 minutes ago, notnow john said:

Have to dis-agree both Gibson and Maguire are relatively inexperienced in the prem.

Evans is a solid experienced international defender and will help Maguire fulfill his potential.

Long term,he's got three or four years,that's still a significant amount these days.

Short term Evans is the winner no doubt,a regular premier league CB. Should have five years at the top level in him for sure. Gibson on the other hand has one full season in the Prem and looked very good but not as experienced as Evans.Youth is always an asset in terms of resale in that if Elliot Moore keeps improving we could recoup our money with Gibson but not so much Evans

2 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Is this guy really any good, or is as much about him being English. 

Ive heard hes as slow as a boat. 

Gibson is Good.Not super fast but has a high panic threshold. Will play the ball out instead of just hoofing it upfield. Would look very good alongside Maguire.

On July 8, 2017 at 10:32, vanity said:

"Also we need to stick with a transfer strategy of only buying players under 25 who we can get with big upside."

Certainly best to spend the money when the young players are available -- Maguire, Iheanacho, Gibson, etc. -- but to round out the team with the less expensive, hard-working, hard-nosed veterans who still have a few good seasons left (like Iborra) makes a lot of sense to me. Where LCFC is at the moment, I think we have to do both to field the best team possible.

Agree we may be out on Gylfi unless we are certain Nacho is mainly going to be the secondary striker. If Nacho is going to play as an AM, Gylfi might be redundant, though I would love to see a 3-4-1-2, with Gylfi, Ndidi, DD, and Gray in that midfield. Or a 4-4-2 with a  MF of DD-Ndidi-Gylfi-Gray coupled with Nacho as secondary and Vardy/Slim up front. I suspect we will play a 4-4-2 on defense, but on the attack, shift to more of a 3-5-2 look, possibly a 4-3-3. We are adding versatile players, that is what we need to play a more modern game, and I think we will be all the better for it.

Honestly, with Nacho in the fold, I would pay whatever is necessary for Gibson and Gylfi, then start the sell off. That is a top-5 team.  If we added those two, then we could sell Zieler, Amartey, Musa, Ulloa, Mahrez, and at least one of either Benalouane or Morgan. Even if we only get 40 for Mahrez, that is a 60-70 million transfer kitty. That roughly pays for both Gylfi and Gibson. If necessary, take a loss on Slim, pick up 20 mill, and make this move. Though I cannot imagine how the team could be in need of money for signings to the extent it needs to sell Slim.

Agree with pretty much everything you say. We have purchased short term experience on the cheap very well in the past few years (Huth, Cambiasso and Fuchs) and only Inler did not work out. These buys have been essential to our success and I am hoping Iborra joins the first group. Just cannot see us being able to operate the. 3412 except against poorer sides at the KP especially is Riyad stays. We would be too open without a true DM (Iborra) sitting in front of the defense. I think Shaky is looking  to be very difficult to beat whilst getting the right foil for Vardy. Would be pretty excited myself if we get Gibson and Gylfi, doing that could well get us back into e CL so perhaps it's worth the financial risks. Think we should keep Slim and sell off Ulloa and Musa. Mendy may be hard to sell right now and I figure we will shop window Lawrence during pre season and then unload him. Maybe the same with James. Armartey I would keep forgone ore more year to se

55 minutes ago, Kevinparr71 said:

Gone very quiet???????

With Jonny Evans set to stay at West Brom, having been recently made captain there, and also the fact that Huth will be out for a while, I hope we can get another CB cover in (and obviously Iheanacho as well signing).

54 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

On a totally unrelated note because we haven't been linked with him, if Spurs want 20m for Wimmer then I'd much rather buy him than Gibson

whoscored.com

Wimmer is 6.19

Gibson is  6.82

Both are 24 but Gibson is way ahead of Wimmer

Archived