Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

19 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Can't see us finishing 9th with our typical boring style of play. I'm looking over my shoulder more than ahead.

The same boring style that won the league?? lol 

in the three years we have been back we have finished 14th, 1st and 12th, which suggests we are the most unpredictable team in the league.

So I predict anywhere between 5th and 14th. lol 

12 minutes ago, truebluethroughandthrough said:

in the three years we have been back we have finished 14th, 1st and 12th, which suggests we are the most unpredictable team in the league.

Nah man that year we were quicker and it was new. Now everybody knows whats coming. We've only got one outlet. Just pray Vardy doesn't get injured.

• Like 1

I don't see Man City doing nearly as well as some believe. They have very complacent CBs, no recognised LB, average CMs and at present, a highly inexperienced first choice GK.

I think they shot themselves in the foot with the Sterling and Stones transfer prices, because now every club knows that they're either moronic or impatient enough to pay the same for their players.

Edited by The Floyd
  • Like 2

That's realistically the only way a club of our size can operate in this market ... nurture good young players like Barnes/ Chilwell and spot the bargains

with potential like Kante, Mahrez , N'Didi, Gray, Nacho etc. Its inevitable when the big boys come knocking those players will go but at least

we have a healthy profit to reinvest. You can see this with other clubs of similar size like Southampton who have produced some great players and

now you can see it in France with the plundering of Monaco.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, truebluethroughandthrough said:

I've not seen much evidence of us playing the style that won us the league recently, glimpses only over the last year.

I will be looking very closely at how we play against Arsenal. Let's see if Shakespeare has learnt from his and Ranieri's mistakes last season.

1 hour ago, The Floyd said:

I don't see Man City doing nearly as well as some believe. They have very complacent CBs, no recognised LB, average CMs and at present, a highly inexperienced first choice GK.

I think they shot themselves in the foot with the Sterling and Stones transfer prices, because now every club knows that they're either moronic or impatient enough to pay the same for their players.

They've signed Mendy to play left back.

What are the top clubs supposed to do? Not buy anyone because they're expensive? Chelsea needed a striker and it was case of Morata or Lukaku who'd both cost a shitload. Every team in the world knows United, City and Chelsea are loaded so the selling club is going to hold for an inflated sum. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

I've not seen much evidence of us playing the style that won us the league recently, glimpses only over the last year.

I will be looking very closely at how we play against Arsenal. Let's see if Shakespeare has learnt from his and Ranieri's mistakes last season.

Against Man City, West Ham away stoke etc was pretty much the same qualities and tactics as the previous season. But you're right we didn't see it enough. Man City played to our strengths, I know but no other team hammered them the way we did for the first half hour.

The main problem last season for me was when the opponent was stronger in the centre - we struggled.

I believe shaky will now play a 3 in the middle against those superior sides.

James, Ndidi and Iborra may be a bit too defensive but I genuinely think most midfields would struggle against it.

In time I may well be proved to be wrong and way off the mark as I have many times in the past, but now is a time for most Leicester fans to be happy and genuinely excited by the upcoming season.

Never in my time supporting this club have we been in a healthier situation.

Just don't get the negativity when the transfer business hasn't even been completed, let alone a ball being kicked.

Edited by truebluethroughandthrough
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Wookie said:

What are the top clubs supposed to do? Not buy anyone because they're expensive? Chelsea needed a striker and it was case of Morata or Lukaku who'd both cost a shitload. Every team in the world knows United, City and Chelsea are loaded so the selling club is going to hold for an inflated sum. 

Well it'd be nice if they used their academies properly and gave a chance to some local youngsters, or even take a punt on some promising players from lower divisions. Sadly the risk of failure seems to be too great.

3 hours ago, Far Post Gerry said:

Well it'd be nice if they used their academies properly and gave a chance to some local youngsters, or even take a punt on some promising players from lower divisions. Sadly the risk of failure seems to be too great.

You've summed it up.

Sky/the Premier League have created this.

I saw Gary Neville on twitter this morning criticisng Manchester City for spending big and not investing into youth or whatever and I'm thinking, this is the same Neville that works for Sky.

There's that much money in the division that clubs can afford to go out and spend £200million. Even promoted clubs such as Huddersfield, a locally owned club, spend £10mill+ on players.

26 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Guardiola will look a complete fraud if they don't win something this season. I can't see any excuses left for him now.

They'll probably still concede loads like last season.

None of the signings really are of excellent value.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

49 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

They'll probably still concede loads like last season.

None of the signings really are of excellent value.

Value or not, Walker, Danilo and Mendy are huge upgrades on Clichy, Sagna, Kolarov and Zabaleta (though I always liked him). Man City will be considerably stronger this year. Whether they'll win the league though, I'm unsure.

16 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

Value or not, Walker, Danilo and Mendy are huge upgrades on Clichy, Sagna, Kolarov and Zabaleta (though I always liked him). Man City will be considerably stronger this year. Whether they'll win the league though, I'm unsure.

may be - but man city have a very poor record when it comes to integrating stellar signings in to a team.  Their inconsistency is the only thing that is consistent about them.

5 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

may be - but man city have a very poor record when it comes to integrating stellar signings in to a team.  Their inconsistency is the only thing that is consistent about them.

Most teams struggle with the integration of big new signings, even ourselves. Looking back at some of their good ones, they've had players like Yaya, Fernandinho, Silva, Aguero, De Bruyne all hit the ground running and that's not a bad list to have. Stones obviously hasn't but that's as he's not that great anyway. 

I still think they'll be considerably better this year. As things stand, I think Chelsea are in a worse position.

23 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

It's always going to be difficult though because it's just 11 expensive players thrown together.

Silva, Aguero and Kompany have been top players for them. De Bruyne looks special as does Sane.

• Like 1

City will be devasting going forward but surely prone to teams who play on the counter attack. They will be fun to watch but most teams (us included) will just try and soak up the pressure and strike on the counter.

Man City, Man United and Chelsea are miles ahead in terms of spending power but its just how quick they blend in, it maybe a blessing we are playing them so early in the season.

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Guardiola will look a complete fraud if they don't win something this season. I can't see any excuses left for him now.

You can't spend over 200 million in one transfer window, add that to an existing squad that cost God knows what, and not win a major trophy.

I agree. No excuses. If this really WERE business, Guardiola would be expected to achieve set targets or be sacked. No doubt about it.

Their squad is just ridiculous.

Edited by Col city fan