Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

And apparently an absolute ar**hole in the dressing room. 

Surprised Stoke are loaning Zouma. They have just been burnt by Martins Indi and putting him in a shop window for a season. 

What happened?  I remembered he started well at the beginning of last season?  

43 minutes ago, The Blur said:

What happened?  I remembered he started well at the beginning of last season?  

A year loan at Stoke, they begin talks on a permanent deal but now looks likely to join Palace. 

Let's face it if Zouma has a fit, good season then he will be Chelsea next season and the loaning club gains nothing. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

A year loan at Stoke, they begin talks on a permanent deal and then he joins Palace the other week.

Oh, I read that as Indi did something bad that Stoke is now loaning him out after buying him.  

:nigel:  though 

English clubs aren't very competent with transfers, West Ham are probably the best example.

Southampton play a blinder almost ever year because they scout well and don't pay over the odds. Plus they've usually got a reasonable youth player that can step up if needed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

He's got a well known attitude, perhaps now he's moving to London it'll drop off a bit - but he doesn't seem like a player who would drag you over the finishing line if you needed a bit extra to do so. I used to rate Bilic as a manager - but now i really think he's a much better coach than manager, very few of his signings last year ended up doing anything - apart from making them a worse side - and i'm not seeing anything here to change that thought really. Joe Hart, okay he could be good - but it just seems to me like he's buying players as if he went to a supermarket and forgot his shopping list - ah, i think i need a goalkeeper, oh that's a great price - let's just get it and worry later.

I'm not sure Bilic is driving the transfers that much - given how he comes across in interviews and how methodical he seems to be in his thinking, the scatter gun approach to transfers doesn't ring true to his personality.

That approach does, however, seem to chime with the owners who did similar things at Birmingham. Let's remember, there were strong rummors Bilic was going to get the chop since the start of the new year. The fact that he didn't possibly points to the fact they couldn't secure interest from an alternative behind his back.

14 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

And apparently an absolute ar**hole in the dressing room. 

Surprised Stoke are loaning Zouma. They have just been burnt by Martins Indi and putting him in a shop window for a season. 

I ponder if the mid table sides are struggling to balance the budget/risk factors on full transfers now.

Yes there's shit loads of TV money about, which is fine at the start, but when it's now £25 million a pop for a player and wages start at £5 million a year (conservative figure) it only takes a couple of turkeys to royally mess up your balance sheet. 

Loans are clearly less risk and easier to budget for, even if they lack potential resale value. Possibly evidence the gap between the top of the Premier League and lower/mid-table teams has quickly been re-established.  

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

Enjoying watching Frank DeBoers total football transformation at Palace. Staring Jeff Schluup who neither knows what the word total means or what football is.

I really miss Schlupp, he was so chaotic that it created some moments of accidental brillance lol - first player in a while to really remind me of the legendary Trevor Benjamin :ph34r:

If they sign that Keita chap i'll be impressed - however i was quite surprised Zaza didn't work out better for them - makes me wonder if it's partly a coaching issue at the club, guess we'll see if they get Hernandez, like others have said if he's fit he could be a decent shout

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Great signing for Chelsea

Looking forward to seeing who got the best deal out of united and Chelsea. seems united decided to go for lukaku ahead of morata. perhaps the Madrid/man u relationship isn't up to making a successful deal between them at the moment. perhaps jose isn't convinced morata will deal with the relentless hurly burly of the prem.

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Gonna be interesting to see if Morata is really as brilliant as he's made out to be. Real Madrid rarely started him and Juve didn't want to keep him I don't think? Gonna be interesting.

Juve did want to keep him but Real activated his buy back so they could sell him on albeit it seems 12 months later then they had planned 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Gonna be interesting to see if Morata is really as brilliant as he's made out to be. Real Madrid rarely started him and Juve didn't want to keep him I don't think? Gonna be interesting.

Poor man's Chris Woods

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

It's not stupid for a Chairman of a sport that has a global following and captive market overseas to want to tap into that - he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't try and advance that agenda for the organisation he overseas; especially as he will be well aware of the American Sports success of moving games over here.

It might leave a bad taste in the mouth for fans here - but chances are, within the next 25 years a meaningful game will be played overseas.

I wonder if possibly there's an opportunity to do it with the FA Cup Semi-Finals; provided they consider giving a fair selection of season ticket holders of the club's reduced/free tickets and travel as compensation.

35 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It's not stupid for a Chairman of a sport that has a global following and captive market overseas to want to tap into that - he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't try and advance that agenda for the organisation he overseas; especially as he will be well aware of the American Sports success of moving games over here.

It might leave a bad taste in the mouth for fans here - but chances are, within the next 25 years a meaningful game will be played overseas.

I wonder if possibly there's an opportunity to do it with the FA Cup Semi-Finals; provided they consider giving a fair selection of season ticket holders of the club's reduced/free tickets and travel as compensation.

That's the worst thing I think i've ever heard.

From the point of view of the people running it, it's probably great. I hope fans would boycott the competition completely if that was ever suggested though. I don't think the FA are quite as souless as the Premier league though, just dense and out of touch.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Sorry but an extra game completely skews fairness in competition. I don't care if the games were played in Coventry and Lancaster. All the American sports what have moved games over here - it's not an additional game, its part of their season. What happens if the 39th game - the draw means the top side play an already relegated team in US (where the weather is less severe and the East Coast isn't so much a problem) whilst the 2nd best team play a team in 8th chasing Europe but its played in high humidity in Hong Kong or with a major time difference in Australia? How do you make it fair opposition on the 39th game? (Rugby League as this problem with its Magic weekend - they played derbies but in effect, it gives a club an extra two points over a traditional giant of the sport simply on region). 

Would it be a success? You only have to see the crowd when we played West Brom yesterday. The big clubs are pullers. 

If they wanna play any game abroad, make it the Community Shield like various countries already do. 

Premier League need to realise how far they can take the sport/competition before it loses its unique, redeeming features over other countries. The PL is idolised because of atmosphere and the passion. It's certainly because the quality of the players (which are poorer than La Liga). You take the atmosphere and passion, the history of English football away, you have nothing unique to any other football league. You play games on Sunday mornings and you lose that. Added to this, they are reaching over satuation point on the televising of games - people don't care about middling games. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Different situations really comparing the Premier League to the NFL, given that god knows how many countries have their own football team and numerous professional leagues. NFL is only seriously played in one league in one country. Excluding the AFL (arena football league), the CFL (Canadian football league) which isn't taken that seriously in the grand scheme of things and university leagues.

I like american football and have no choice but to support an American team as with hundreds of thousands of others in the UK.

On 19/07/2017 at 13:45, Aus Fox said:

Enjoying watching Frank DeBoers total football transformation at Palace. Staring Jeff Schluup who neither knows what the word total means or what football is.

The face you make when someone tries to badmouth Jeff...

Jeffrey-Schlupp-is-close-to-securing-promotion-with-Leicester-City.jpg

Edited by The Murkle Man

The great mass of fans abroad only want to see the big five (or six).  Those who did show up for Brighton vs Burnley wouldn’t be able to name more than two of the players and might not show up the following year.  The NFL plans five overseas games this year, and I wonder if that will begin to saturate the market.  (Do NOT waste your money on the Cleveland Browns FFS.)

The chance of moving regular-season London or Manchester derbies overseas is nil.  If they must trial this, the biggest clubs moving one lesser home date overseas is the most feasible way.  The gate from, say, Huddersfield at Arse would be greater than at the Emirates, and there would be few no-shows.