Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

West Ham have had an interesting window. In theory with Hart, Zabaleta and Hernandez they have signed 3 proven premier league players who can make a difference straight away. But all are aging and on big wages. I'd argue they are the signings of a manager who knows he's under pressure. 

I personally prefer our signings as with Maguire and Ihenacho we have players that will only get better. 

They will provide a very interesting control in the whole 'we should be buying proven PL players' debate - I tend to agree that we have probably done better not to buy at least 2 out of 3 of those players, and I doubt Arnautovic would have been a great idea either.

• Like 2

You really can't read anything into preseason games. The teams are at different fitness levels, the motivation levels are different (one team might be gunning for it while the other are just after a settled 90 minutes). 

For the past 4 summers, Man U have had promising preseasons but then been disappointing when the competitive football starts. 

• Like 1

Not sure, yet,  who to predict to win the league.

Yes, Manchester City in particular have spent the most but it's been known before that big-spending teams don't necessarily meet their anticipated targets. Just ask Mourinho and Van Gaal, for example.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

58 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Well Tottenham have definitely missed their chance. I can't see them even getting top 6 this year. Fancy United to win the league.

They'll definitely get top 6. They're better than Arsenal and Liverpool. Don't know how the Manchester clubs will fare with their new signings but Spurs were better than both of those in all.

Chelsea are probably the only side you can definitively say are stronger right now.

6 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Must be careful not to judge too early - lots of people were calling De Gea shite early on at United.

But that is rather poor sweeper keeping. This lad could prove quite amusing ?

Good finish by Rom mind.

I dont think De Gea was ever really shite when he started at man utd. He was an excellent shot stopper and had good distribution, it was only aerial balls he had an absolute nightmare with. I'll take your point about judging him too early mind, it was just some Bravo-esque goalkeeping.

1 hour ago, Benguin said:

Well Tottenham have definitely missed their chance. I can't see them even getting top 6 this year. Fancy United to win the league.

Although I really dislike the club they have been brilliant for the last two years. At times they were the best team in the league and certainly gave us a right hiding at the KP. Honestly if they weren't moving to Wembley they would be my favourites for the league, as of the big teams that were in the Champions League, it affected their league form the least.

I expect the league will be wide open this year. I think Man City will again be found out as they are buying too many players and it will take time to bed them all in. Some players like Stones just aren't Premier League title winning material in my eyes. Manchester United can't be counted out, but they had a brilliant striker last year in Zlatan and still only finished 6th. Creativity is their biggest problem that I feel they need to fix to win it. Chelsea will be consistent again as I feel that Bakayoko is a brilliant partner for Kante, but with the Champions League to contend with we will have to see how they fare.

No idea who will win it at the moment.

On 20/07/2017 at 10:36, Tuna said:

Would be a disgrace but I can see it happening eventually sadly. It won't fully go away. They won't be happy until the game is as soulless as it can be. The success of the super bowl isn't good for football either as it will further encourage this.

I reckon it happens within ten years and it'll be then where my interest takes a genuine dip.

10 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

They will provide a very interesting control in the whole 'we should be buying proven PL players' debate - I tend to agree that we have probably done better not to buy at least 2 out of 3 of those players, and I doubt Arnautovic would have been a great idea either.

Fully agree. I reckon they'll do the usual West Ham thing which is basically.. very little, and they'll be paying money I'd be wanting Europe for if I was an owner.

Best part of £100k a week on average each for Hart, Zabaleta, Hernandez and Arnautovic. Dear oh dear.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Looks like a pretty good crowd in Houston for this all Manchester friendly.

Not sure why they are booing Sterling? Maybe a lot of Liverpool fans in Texas.

Good atmosphere and lots of Man Utd fans there.  Lukaku's goal was really well taken and he looked pretty fired up.  Kompany's foul on him was awesome and the pace of the game surprised me to be honest.  Roof was closed though, so they had cooler conditions that outside/we have to face in HK.

The two young Mac City players impressed a lot, their new keeper actually looked ok until his misjudgement for Lukaku's goal.  De Gea looked miserable the whole time - now there's a player that doesn't want to be there! 

Utd won it as they were hungrier but it was their 3 full game vs. City's first.  I think Utd will be up there challenging this season for sure. 

Smalling looked good, shame.  Means we probably won't get him (I'd fancy a cheeky loan move for Martial though if he wanted out).  

• Like 1

It's difficult to tell naturally as it's too early on still but I'd expect Chelsea to retain the title as it stands. Man City'll be much better as it's another year of coaching under Pep, they've improved their squad and have they have the best attacking options but they're still average at the back and on the whole Chelsea are more resolute.

Liverpool's business has gone under the radar, they've improved on Moreno and in Salah they have another threat, lacking a consistent striker but there's goals in that side and it's a team worth more than the sum of its parts anyway. Still there's the structural issues of a Klopp side made worse by only having one good CB option in Matip, so I reckon 3rd or 4th again.

United are in exactly the same position they were in last season, they've got so many genuinely brilliant creative talents like Mkhitaryan and Mata but it's Mourinho that stifles them and I can see a similar season to last whereby they do alright but draw too many games. They're at least capable of going deep into s European season which Chelsea and Liverpool don't have the squads for.

Spurs are in a difficult position as they need new signings for depth but they can't really improve upon the core of the squad, Pochettino's a brilliant manager but there's only so much he can do and considering the strength of the other teams' players I think 3rd is the best they can hope for.

Arsenal will never be a top side again whilst Wenger's still there.

• Like 2

Chelsea sign Morata for £60m.

Admittedly I don't know much about the guy but looking at his stats he only seems to bag against the poor Spanish teams and often having been brought on as a fresh-legged sub. To me that suggests he may struggle with the prem, could be a mistake of a signing.

34 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Chelsea sign Morata for £60m.

Admittedly I don't know much about the guy but looking at his stats he only seems to bag against the poor Spanish teams and often having been brought on as a fresh-legged sub. To me that suggests he may struggle with the prem, could be a mistake of a signing.

His record in the Champion's league is decent though

20 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Oxlade Chamberlain off to Chelsea by the looks of it.

Seems a strange one to me.

Good player. Wenger doesn't know how to use him.

Swansea apparently asking for £30m from Chelsea for Fernando 'Llorente' Torres. Fees have massively gone up over the two seasons, there was only really 2 monumentally jaw dropping spends last summer on Pogba and Higuian but now it seems the big guns have got £50m+ to splash at a time and now PSG are about to blow £200m on Neymar even before wages, sign on fees and his Dads cut.

4 hours ago, Wookie said:

It's difficult to tell naturally as it's too early on still but I'd expect Chelsea to retain the title as it stands. Man City'll be much better as it's another year of coaching under Pep, they've improved their squad and have they have the best attacking options but they're still average at the back and on the whole Chelsea are more resolute.

Liverpool's business has gone under the radar, they've improved on Moreno and in Salah they have another threat, lacking a consistent striker but there's goals in that side and it's a team worth more than the sum of its parts anyway. Still there's the structural issues of a Klopp side made worse by only having one good CB option in Matip, so I reckon 3rd or 4th again.

United are in exactly the same position they were in last season, they've got so many genuinely brilliant creative talents like Mkhitaryan and Mata but it's Mourinho that stifles them and I can see a similar season to last whereby they do alright but draw too many games. They're at least capable of going deep into s European season which Chelsea and Liverpool don't have the squads for.

Spurs are in a difficult position as they need new signings for depth but they can't really improve upon the core of the squad, Pochettino's a brilliant manager but there's only so much he can do and considering the strength of the other teams' players I think 3rd is the best they can hope for.

Arsenal will never be a top side again whilst Wenger's still there.

I disagree on Man Utd. I think we are going to see a Mourinho that first came to England and played fast, bullying, attacking football. He's never been secret about admiring "the United way" and I think he's now getting the players he wants. Agree it's preseason but look at the way they've been playing and the goals they've scored. Lukaku is going to be much more mobile and a bigger threat than Ibra. Rashford is a year older, and Miki and Pogba are now more acclimated to the Prem. They now have 3 decent CBs, and he's offloaded Rooney. I think they are going to have a good season.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SpazticChicken said:

Swansea apparently asking for £30m from Chelsea for Fernando 'Llorente' Torres. Fees have massively gone up over the two seasons, there was only really 2 monumentally jaw dropping spends last summer on Pogba and Higuian but now it seems the big guns have got £50m+ to splash at a time and now PSG are about to blow £200m on Neymar even before wages, sign on fees and his Dads cut.

When will the 'bubble burst', on numerous inflated football transfer fees (more worryingly most are to do with over-rated players)?

Hope at some point clubs can save a few buying other club's players, by developing their own youth academy to a strong level - where they can add to their first-team squad via their own roots.

Which will massively suffer if this carries on.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

6 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

When will the 'bubble burst', on numerous inflated football transfer fees (more worryingly most are to do with over-rated players)?

Hope at some point clubs can save a few buying other club's players, by developing their own youth academy to a strong level - where they can add to their first-team squad via their own roots.

Which will massively suffer if this carries on.

Theres not really an end in sight. It just starts to stink more and more like a large scale and complex money laundering operation. FFP was supposed to do something but in terms of money its just built to walls higher.

• Like 1