Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

23 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

With you there. One dimensional brand of football, loves to be mates with people when it suits him but can't hack the fact that teams like Atleti are better than his lot.

He's got that Wenger-like bitterness but it's hidden behind a more jovial character. Guardiola's the same although a different character altogether.

Liverpool I think could have a poor year by their standards. Not convinced they've really filled in their gaps, they play a demanding game with an even more demanding fixture list. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they were back out the top four.

25 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

With you there. One dimensional brand of football, loves to be mates with people when it suits him but can't hack the fact that teams like Atleti are better than his lot.

16 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's a sign of weakness to me. It strikes me as a convenient get out (because people buy it strangely) if you can't actually win, which is the objective of course.

18 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

image.png.c57564f929f753873a9d013ab040ca60.png

Klopp is such a bellend. Gone right off him.

Going to go against the grain here, they are pre season friendlies with nothing at stake (come on the Audi cup....) and entertaining the fans should also be on the agenda! Simeone can start his win at all costs football once the season starts, which I for one am not a fan of, but for now he could consider the fans that have come to watch his side.....

Although that said I do agree that Klopp is probably being bitter here!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I actually really like Klopp and think Liverpool are lucky to have him. Assembled a decent side too

He needs to fix that tragic defence though, he doesnt seem to rate Sakho and I dont really think Lovren or Klavan are up to it.

11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

He needs to fix that tragic defence though, he doesnt seem to rate Sakho and I dont really think Lovren or Klavan are up to it.

Yeah definitely a weak point for them. I think Lovren could be good enough but they need better quality around him and a top quality keeper

Liverpool have got a lot of talent going forward even though they don't really have an out and out striker but I find it mad they haven't strengthened at the back.

They've got 2 seemingly error prone keepers who might be decent shot stoppers but not a lot else, and their back line is dodgy and lacking in depth.

13 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Going to go against the grain here, they are pre season friendlies with nothing at stake (come on the Audi cup....) and entertaining the fans should also be on the agenda! Simeone can start his win at all costs football once the season starts, which I for one am not a fan of, but for now he could consider the fans that have come to watch his side.....

Although that said I do agree that Klopp is probably being bitter here!

Pre-season games are played to help gain fitness and fine tune your playing style for the coming season. Simeone isn't going to waste an opportunity to try out some fringe players in Atletico's system, to play an attractive game which they'll never adopt in a competitive game. 

I'd hazard a guess their fans would rather see them challenge next season after a solid pre-season rather than be entertained for 90mins in a nothing game. 

10 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I actually really like Klopp and think Liverpool are lucky to have him. Assembled a decent side too

Agree, I'm a big fan of him too, and think he has, and will, continue to improve them.  Kind of annoying as a lot of my best mates still in the UK are LFC fans, and it's nice to give them a hard time, which is tough when they are doing well and have a good coach and enjoyable style of playing.  

is there any reason Man City are playing West Ham in a friendly at the London Stadium :mellow:

Think it's a bit odd that it's not part of a trophy/cup. Possibly an agreement as part of the Zabaleta or Hart deals?

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

is there any reason Man City are playing West Ham in a friendly at the London Stadium :mellow:

Think it's a bit odd that it's not part of a trophy/cup. Possibly an agreement as part of the Zabaleta or Hart deals?

It's being played in Iceland I think. Which is even more random...

I keep reading that Klopp plays this high intensity high pressure style of football. I never see it though. Much like our "high intensity, high press" football. 

I see no actual evidence of it, just people saying it.

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I keep reading that Klopp plays this high intensity high pressure style of football. I never see it though. Much like our "high intensity, high press" football. 

I see no actual evidence of it, just people saying it.

To be fair, it's better then the shit we played last season and this so far

I'm surprised Klopp hasn't come in with offers for a few more of our players, from playing us he knows our fitness and intensity levels would slot into his ideals at Liverpool. I was praying for a miracle that we could have persuaded Klopp to come here before he joined Liverpool and we got Ranieri lol - oh well, worked out alright.

I thought he would have shipped out a few more as well who weren't up standard, it might be the one shortcoming that derails his overall plan, he's got a few injury prone players like Sturridge and Lallana who he might have got decent money for to re-invest in some players who can play their style, Van Djik would fit that so no wonder they are heavily interested even still, i imagine Southampton might have even contacted them now about striking a deal with the player training by himself.

Our signings in comparisons with other sides look pretty decent, a few clubs haven't done a lot - I really think Tottenham could have a major issue if they get a few injuries rack up as their first team is quite compact, if they lost Kane and Alli at the same time they'd feel it big time

The masses really know nothing about football.

With the Premier League turning 25, BBC are currently doing a best Premier League goal over a five year period. At the minute its 2002-2007 and I csant understand how Henry's goal v Spurs in 2002 is leading the poll: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40710224

Although its a good finish and decent run, running most of the pitch with the ball with not may other players around does not automatically make it a goal of the season contender let alone the best goal over 5 years in the Premier League. For a start, he doesn't actually go past anyone one on one, he side steps one Spurs defender and thats about it. To make it even more laughable, the commentator compares it to George Weah's goal (link below albeit shite quality):

• Like 1

Burnley's pre-season friendly at home to German club Hannover was abandoned after crowd trouble on Saturday.

Trouble broke out in the first half in the Hannover fans' section at Turf Moor.

Burnley, who launch their Premier League campaign away to champions Chelsea on 12 August, announced the game had been abandoned at half-time.

"Today's game has been abandoned on police advice. More to follow," the club said on social media.

Burnley had been leading 1-0 after a 41st-minute header from Ben Mee.

According to reports, seats were ripped up and thrown after visiting supporters surged towards the home end in the Cricket Field Stand.

The German disease.

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

The masses really know nothing about football.

With the Premier League turning 25, BBC are currently doing a best Premier League goal over a five year period. At the minute its 2002-2007 and I csant understand how Henry's goal v Spurs in 2002 is leading the poll: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40710224

Although its a good finish and decent run, running most of the pitch with the ball with not may other players around does not automatically make it a goal of the season contender let alone the best goal over 5 years in the Premier League. For a start, he doesn't actually go past anyone one on one, he side steps one Spurs defender and thats about it. To make it even more laughable, the commentator compares it to George Weah's goal (link below albeit shite quality):

Absolutely loved that goal!! The Times (IIRC) did a graphical breakdown of it, which I then put on my door at uni with the added comment of "the second best goal I ever scored". I was well funny in those days...