Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

So what your saying is that they are “Bottling” at being “Bottlers” then 

No. Im saying they arent a good enough team to be classed as "bottlers" when they dont win because they arent bottling. Theyre losing games they are expected to lose.

9 minutes ago, Donut said:

No. Im saying they arent a good enough team to be classed as "bottlers" when they dont win because they arent bottling. Theyre losing games they are expected to lose.

Were they expected to lose today though? I'm not sure about that. Think most people pre-match would have said it could have gone either way.

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Were they expected to lose today though? I'm not sure about that. Think most people pre-match would have said it could have gone either way.

Expected to lose is probably going too far in my description, but as you suggest, they certainly were not expected to win.

Id say if anything theyre overachievers rather than bottlers. Theyve slipped back a bit this season and unless they spend big, theyre slowly creeping further away from the top of the table, which is about right for them id say.

And yes, before anyone chimes in correcting me, i dont like them, Dele Alli is a diving scummer, Harry Kane has a melted face, I agree with every angry prejudice you hold about them so you wont find any argument with any of them, irrational or not.

26 minutes ago, Donut said:

Expected to lose is probably going too far in my description, but as you suggest, they certainly were not expected to win.

Id say if anything theyre overachievers rather than bottlers. Theyve slipped back a bit this season and unless they spend big, theyre slowly creeping further away from the top of the table, which is about right for them id say.

And yes, before anyone chimes in correcting me, i dont like them, Dele Alli is a diving scummer, Harry Kane has a melted face, I agree with every angry prejudice you hold about them so you wont find any argument with any of them, irrational or not.

I do agree with you to an extent. With the league when they were chasing us and then Chelsea I don't really think they 'bottled' the league given that they weren't top at any point and weren't really that close to winning it in either season.

Guess it depends on your definition of 'bottling' though. There's the description you gave above but you could also say that 'bottle' means mental strength in general and I think there's been a few occasions where this Spurs side have displayed a distinct lack of mental strength. You can put it down to superior quality coming through in the end but I think if you put some other teams in the positions they've been in against Juve and earlier today they'd have made a better fist of seeing the job through. The Juventus game they were in a very strong position with 30 minutes of the tie left, up on aggregate and away goals, and they conceded two cheap goals and fell flat. Today they were 1 nil up and looking the better side, and then just fell flat again.

Clearly if you look at the numbers they are overachieving though, can't deny it. They have the lowest net spend and lowest wage bill of the top 6 and they've been beating the other 5 in games regularly and finishing above some of them for the last few years. Fair play for that.

To be honest, I think the way things have panned out has helped them a bit in some ways. They've never really been in a position of massive pressure, like being top with 10 games to go or being 1 nil up in a final with 15 minutes left etc. I'd say the fact that they haven't actually achieved anything tangible has allowed Pochettino and the club to develop the side and squad and go about their business year-on-year without the weight of expectation becoming a burden, and without any reason for egos etc to start spiralling out of control or for them to get above their station. The first couple of years they were almost under the radar and even now they're not the favourites for anything as you say, so they've made incremental progress each season, adding to the squad and practising Pochettino's style of play. It might have panned out very differently if say they had pipped us or Chelsea to the title.

• Like 1

Burnley loss and Southampton win today. We've of course bottled 7th, but it could get interesting if we're 5 points in touch of them with both having to play Spurs and Arsenal....

7 hours ago, Donut said:

They did bottle it to an extent when we won the league. Everyone was expecting them to catch us, then not only did they not catch us they finished third.

I agree with you on alli and Kane though. Infact couldn't disagree with any if your last paragraph. 

Just watched WBA vs Liverpool, yet another Stuart Attwell shocker. A blatant penalty not given, some other incidents missed too and again players safety at risk. There will be an assessor in the stand. His report will be sent in. Next weekend Attwell will be handed another game like the turd that won't flush away. It's time to abandon this fast tracking program, he isn't young any more, he isn't improving, he's turning games into farces, if he had any integrity he'd **** off and take up a new profession. Maybe become a traffic warden - he'd slap tickets on phone boxes for being parked on the pavement.

Just now, Donut said:

Why does everyone accuse Spurs of "bottling"?

"Bottling" is where YOU are the favourite and YOU are the front runner and you blow it, and when have they ever been the favourite or blown it? like been clear at the top of the league and blown it or been massive favourites for a cup and screwed up? Never

So theyre not bottlers, theyre just not as good as the teams that edge them all the time.

It annoys their fans

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Zaha booked for diving - he actually didn't for the incident he was accused of it but had early so his reputation got the better of him !

If you watch him closely before and after the booking it's like day and night. Before he goes down at the slightest touch, after he suddenly becomes really strong and nothing can knock him over. There was moment in the second half where a Watford defender is hacking away at his ankles, and he just won't fall over, before the booking all it was taking was a Watford defender to be in a foot of him. It's pathetic. He can ride a challenge when he really wants to.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Donut said:

Why does everyone accuse Spurs of "bottling"?

They come up against Man Utd in a one off cup tie. Man Utd are better than Spurs. Man Utd win the game..... what exactly did they bottle?

They trail Man City in the league. Man City are miles better than them. Man City won the league.....what did they bottle?

They come up against Juve in the champions league. Juve are better than Spurs and have been in two recent champions league finals. Juve win over 2 legs. As expected.

In our title winning season, we were consistently better than them. We won the league.

"Bottling" is where YOU are the favourite and YOU are the front runner and you blow it, and when have they ever been the favourite or blown it? like been clear at the top of the league and blown it or been massive favourites for a cup and screwed up? Never

So theyre not bottlers, theyre just not as good as the teams that edge them all the time.

Were you the one that grassed on Rachel for calling Spurs "bottlers" on TV?

11 hours ago, Donut said:

Yes but theyre not favourites to win anything, so they didnt bottle. thats my point.

Theyre just worse than their rivals.

Thats kind of where I stand. People saying they bottle it flatters them as it implies they are a great team who just couldnt win at key moments. In reality they werent, and never have been, close to winning anything (or been anywhere near enough to win anything) in recent times in the first place.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 2

Trouble is generally players who dive get excused and the pundits call it part of the game etc.

I think that is where the Palace fans get a bit frustrated with the negative reaction Zaha gets,

Sure he gets stick everywhere he goes - not just at our place and well we're hardly an aggressive bunch!

Edited by Super_horns

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

Klopp is embarrassing.

His digs at West Brom in the after game interview were really low blows. My sympathy for him has long gone despite his teams normally playing some pretty great football.

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Trouble is generally players who dive get excused and the pundits call it part of the game etc.

I think that is where the Palace fans get a bit frustrated with the negative reaction Zaha gets,

Sure he gets stick everywhere he goes - not just at our place and well we're hardly an aggressive bunch!

He was booked for diving at our place in 2015, and was quite unfortunate really. Mike Dean surprisingly wanted to make a scene of the issue.