Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Gray - considering future

11 hours ago, Babylon said:

When Mahrez came to us he looked brilliant from day one. 3 goals and 4 assists in 12 starts. He might have been a couple of years older than Gray, but I've seen nothing form him to suggest he can even reach the level Mahrez was in the championship yet.

I swear Gray has more assists for us than the official number on the PL website. Right now to consider Gray a direct replacement for Riyad is scary but we may have no choice as a) Mahrez is nigh on irreplaceable to us and b) at what point do we put our faith in Gray and accept responsibility throughout the rest of the team to be more creative? Grays shown enough to me that he's got it there but he needs the environment and management to get to the next level. His performances for England U21's shouldn't be underestimated either, it's not PL standard but it's of a decent level and he's done well. It's time we put some faith in him.

When Mahrez came to us he looked brilliant from day one. 3 goals and 4 assists in 12 starts. He might have been a couple of years older than Gray, but I've seen nothing form him to suggest he can even reach the level Mahrez was in the championship yet.

I think people need to accept that if/when Mahrez leaves, We will not be able to replace him with a player as good as he is. Gray is a real talent and has a big future at the club but for us to be comparing him to Mahrez is unfair. Just like with Kante, Ndidi will never be as good as Kante and we cant expect him to be, but he is a very good player and our future team should be built around the likes of Chilwell, Gray and Ndidi. 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I swear Gray has more assists for us than the official number on the PL website. Right now to consider Gray a direct replacement for Riyad is scary but we may have no choice as a) Mahrez is nigh on irreplaceable to us and b) at what point do we put our faith in Gray and accept responsibility throughout the rest of the team to be more creative? Grays shown enough to me that he's got it there but he needs the environment and management to get to the next level. His performances for England U21's shouldn't be underestimated either, it's not PL standard but it's of a decent level and he's done well. It's time we put some faith in him.

Thats the problem all young British talent is facing - in order to develop they need to be put in real, live meaningful situations, where management are willing to accept failure as part of the learning experience. 

Asking someone to be the finished article from the bench at such a young age is so unfair. Look at Gareth Bale, spent years learning his trade at left back and progressing year on year. 

Gray's shown glimpses of something, star quality. We now need to decide whether we want to use it or lose it. 

Maybe that's because you weren't witnessing his Birmingham City performances?

He made his first start under new manager Gary Rowett in the 1–0 win away to Rotherham Unitedon 22 November,[19] and soon established himself as the left-sided wide midfielder in a 4–2–3–1formation as Rowett regularly named an unchanged starting eleven.[20] 

On his tenth league start, Gray scored three times in the first half of the match at home to Reading on 14 December, which ended 6–1. It was his first hat-trick since his under-14 days,[21][22] and Rowett praised not only his clinical finishing but also his work off the ball and tracking back to cover in defence.[23] His performances during December earned him the Football League Young Player of the Monthaward.[20]

11 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Maybe that's because you weren't witnessing his Birmingham City performances?

Good for him, although that means he only got 3 assists and 5 goals in the remaining 50 starts.

But back to the original point, he's shown nothing to suggest he's further on than Mahrez was when he arrived. Mahrez hit the ground running and showed his class from game one.

Gray has a lot to prove.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Good for him, although that means he only got 3 assists and 5 goals in the remaining 50 starts.

But back to the original point, he's shown nothing to suggest he's further on than Mahrez was when he arrived. Mahrez hit the ground running and showed his class from game one.

Gray has a lot to prove.

To be fair how many assists and goals did Mahrez get the following season? 

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Gray has a lot to prove.

My issue is whether your expectations of Gray is fairly represented in Mahrez who's situation was markedly different even back in the Championship.

For one, the team and players around him were very much different, as was the club situation, so can you draw exact comparisons? No, not in my opinion. Can we identify from what we've seen that Gray has talent, which if harnessed in the right way could grow to something much more - in my opinion, yes.

He needs a chance to prove you wrong... a chance that's more than 20 minutes here and there - and there's an argument to say what he's shown in those game situations he's earned that chance.

16 hours ago, Babylon said:

And then the next season he was average, perhaps that accounts for his poor season last year, he only plays well every other season.

Gray is far better than Mahrez at the same age.

2 minutes ago, FIF said:

And then the next season he was average, perhaps that accounts for his poor season last year, he only plays well every other season.

And you can compare them at 20?  Far from a level playing field methinks 

Just now, st albans fox said:

And you can compare them at 20?  Far from a level playing field methinks 

what?

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Gray has been brought up within a professional football academy - Where was riyad learning the game ages  17-20 ??

That seems an argument just to argue. I'll pass and leave you to it.

My brother has been in Ibiza and saw Gray over there, he had a quick chat with him and he basically said 'if I stay then I've got to have more game time'. I know it's pretty much what we already know but that has actually come from the horse's mouth.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

4 goals and 3 assists in a struggling team in the premier league, at the same time grey was getting 1 goal and 1 assist in the championship.

There is nothing to suggest Gray was better than Mahrez at his age. All he's doing is sitting on the bench of a team at a higher level. 

The likes of Mahrez and Kante didn't become good players the second the moved to a higher level. They were good already, it's just nobody had taken the chance on them.

1 hour ago, Tom's Pasta said:

My brother has been in Ibiza and saw Gray over there, he had a quick chat with him and he basically said 'if I stay then I've got to have more game time'. I know it's pretty much what we already know but that has actually come from the horse's mouth.

Did your brother enlighten him about the realities of modern day football and earning your place?

14 hours ago, waylander said:

Lock going nowhere .

This was probably the least constructive post in the thread and you're asking for it to be locked! 

Anyway, Gray isn't Riyad. If he stays he's got to make that position his own. He might have the potential and only time will tell. 

Even if Mahrez goes and we get a replacement in, I still think Gray will get more minutes as the new bloke will be bedded in slowly. 

15 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

This was probably the most constructive post in the thread and you're asking for it to be locked! 

Anyway, Gray isn't Riyad. If he stays he's got to make that position his own. He might have the potential and only time will tell. 

Even if Mahrez goes and we get a replacement in, I still think Gray will get more minutes as the new bloke will be bedded in slowly.  ?

Archived