Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Spurs Home Post Match 1-6 (SIX !!!)

Surprised to hear you guys are down on Shakespeare. Other than this result I thought he had done an amazing job? Players certainly like playing for him. 

In regards to yesterdays result, Benaloune looks terrible, and you guys really missed Morgan and Huth as well as Drinkwater, who is a great player. Morgan and Huth are very very good low block defenders. The last couple of goals that Kane scored would never happen with those two. You can see Amartey half turn away as Kane strikes. 

As I said in another thread, I enjoyed the result but accept that it is just a dead rubber, and when something is riding on it next season it will probably be a lot closer. 

So if not Shakespeare then who? Marco Silva seems a very good shout. But just for the banter I'd love it if you gave Tim Sherwood a job. Captain bellend himself.

End of season thrashing. In some respects a big defeat was a little harsh. We gave them a good game in the opening 20mins of the 1st half and battled well to get one back in the 2nd half. However, as soon as Kane scored his 2nd ours heads went down and we caved in to concede 2 more in injury time. I don't blame the defeat on Shakespeare or the players, the flaws were there with recruitment. Without Morgan AND Huth we're on our arse in defence. Benalouane has struggled without Huth and it says a lot for Wasilewski that he can't get into the side even where Fuchs is being played out of position (I know he can play there for Austria, but he's far, far better at LB). The recruitment in the summer was wholly questionable and where the opportunity was there to bring in a top quality CB, we didnt take it. 

That being said, Spurs looked a well-oiled unit. Thought they were as good if not a better footballing side than Chelsea, consistency seems to have let them down a bit. Thoroughly impressed with a number of their players last night, particularly Son and Alli. 

Just a terrible performance that we need to forget and put it down to one of those things! we certainly need to significantly strengthen the defence in the summer no matter how many millions in takes!

1 minute ago, LCCFox96 said:

End of season thrashing. In some respects a big defeat was a little harsh. We gave them a good game in the opening 20mins of the 1st half and battled well to get one back in the 2nd half. However, as soon as Kane scored his 2nd ours heads went down and we caved in to concede 2 more in injury time. I don't blame the defeat on Shakespeare or the players, the flaws were there with recruitment. Without Morgan AND Huth we're on our arse in defence. Benalouane has struggled without Huth and it says a lot for Wasilewski that he can't get into the side even where Fuchs is being played out of position (I know he can play there for Austria, but he's far, far better at LB). The recruitment in the summer was wholly questionable and where the opportunity was there to bring in a top quality CB, we didnt take it. 

That being said, Spurs looked a well-oiled unit. Thought they were as good if not a better footballing side than Chelsea, consistency seems to have let them down a bit. Thoroughly impressed with a number of their players last night, particularly Son and Alli. 

Also as much as it pains me to say it you have to hand it to Chelsea. 

Looking at the table after 25 games we were 10 points behind. Everyone said we would need to win every game to be in with a chance. Fact is even if we had beaten West Ham, it potentially could have been 13 wins in a row (if we beat Hull next) and they still would have been champions last week. They could end with 93 points which would be the second highest total ever in the PL. 

Also the last two champions have both not had to contend with europe. As you guys have experienced yourselves it takes its toll on your league season. Spurs have done so so well. Feels really unfortunate not to have won a title. Kicking ourselves more about that FA cup semi final. 

Despite the hype Ndidi doesn't convince me 100%, and Amartey needs moving on if possible. How many times did Son, Kane, Dembele, Alli etc get the wrong side of those two in the space between midfield and attack are were able to turn with the ball with no pressure on them?

Tactically Ndidi in particular needs serious development working on his positioning, although technically he's not bad.

We need a quality, technically adept midfielder in the summer, who can retain the ball, pass and create. Don't know much about this Silva guy from Sporting but someone like a Fabregas type player (not suggesting he would come obviously) would fit the bill. I'd be scouting the Spanish league, surely there's some gems there.

This is unfortunately what happens when you come up against a very good side with a lot of players in form with a makeshift team.  We can do better than that and will have to if we are to strengthen our position in the Premier League next season.  Credit to Spurs, they deserved the win and were clinical and ruthless in their exploitation of our weaknesses.

If nothing else the manner of that defeat should focus minds on the need to strengthen the squad in the summer.

37 minutes ago, spurs1980 said:

Surprised to hear you guys are down on Shakespeare. Other than this result I thought he had done an amazing job? Players certainly like playing for him. 

In regards to yesterdays result, Benaloune looks terrible, and you guys really missed Morgan and Huth as well as Drinkwater, who is a great player. Morgan and Huth are very very good low block defenders. The last couple of goals that Kane scored would never happen with those two. You can see Amartey half turn away as Kane strikes. 

As I said in another thread, I enjoyed the result but accept that it is just a dead rubber, and when something is riding on it next season it will probably be a lot closer. 

So if not Shakespeare then who? Marco Silva seems a very good shout. But just for the banter I'd love it if you gave Tim Sherwood a job. Captain bellend himself.

I wouldnt  say i am down on shakey. Im upset about last nights result because that shouldnt happen at home.  

Having said that the players seem to enjoy having him as the manager i just hope they dont take it too easy with that. Shake has balls though and can see him benching those who coast or try to.

I think given the season we have had (and taking last nights "fighting cock out of our arses" defeat out of the equation) he deserves to get the job. 

I cant see another manager coming in unless the owners have a better idea. I trust in our owners to do the right thing with or without shakey or mahrez or anyone really.

Captain bellend can ply his trade in league 2.

It felt like the end of an era to me. I sat for a long while after the final whistle reflecting, probably one of the last out of the stadium. I just see this team disintegrating now. Schmeical and Mahrez will definitely leave, Vardy possibly. Shinji maybe. Huth and Morgan getting towards their sell buy date. Some of the players Claudio signed clearly aren't up to it: Slimani, Musa, Mendy, Amartey. Next season will be pretty difficult, I think. Possibly a new manager, another slog against relegation. A rocky road ahead methinks.  

13 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

What formation were we even playing at the end?

Schmeichel

Simpson Amartey Fuchs

Albrighton Ndidi Chilwell

Gray Mahrez Slimani Musa?? 

Now u put it like that it makes it clear to me what shakey meant when he said "players not playing in position" I thought looking at that, (an in game) it's a 3-5-2/ with chilwell an Musa or Gray as the other wingback an those may be the two players he was referring to with the comment. Think Mahrez was between the CM an a 3rd Striker.

I have just looked again at some highlights....

We did ourselves, play some good football, created more than a couple of classic chances.

Not bad for our 3rd team selection and set up/whole , defence and midfield bbone splattered

over the injury list...

But Spurs looked, and were good..Their fans, and Their Bias tv pundits, will be enjoying today,

they deserved last night.They were very easy on the eye....That striker  mmmwhats his name.....mmmm

ah   Harry Kane...shame we never seen him in a blue shirt..innit...:rolleyes: !!!

Son...great 2nd goalgetter, both have had a brilliant season.

God how I hope we see Harry, be givenvthe England shirt and asked to play his Spurs role, not be given

stupid responsibilities.  England no1 striker..job!!!!!   score goals, nothing else.

Then give him Vardy has his partner, but we aint that clever...shame!

Spurs last night won me over, a mature, characteristic season, took stock delivered an  higher Octane.

Chelsea were Or had just that bit more consistent quality. 

Spurs now a great team to follow, lets see if they want to chase their dream, or again sell off their cream players..

Like City away, although that was much closer, I knew we'd lose to the best attacking side in the league without are 2 regular CB's, Drinkwater and the hair brain idea of Fuchs in central defence.

Though I'm expecting us to lose to Bournemouth to end the season on a low note, we're at least safe.

On the bright side, though humiliating, is a 6-1 home defeat with 40% of our best team out injured really as humiliating as being destroyed 5-1 by Ten-man , relegated Newcastle? Wonder if Hull can repeat, ha ha!!

22 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

You need to be careful making judgements of games at 2-0 down, because there will be a natural relaxing and drop of intensity for at least a period on the team in front and the response / urgency of the team behind can artificially turn the balance of the game for a bit. 

After the missed penalty, Manchester City were ultimately comfortable winners in the end weren't they? 

We as fans need to understand... we are no longer that good. Our side is a good mid table side, no more at this present time. What we can be next season, time will tell, but for now, that is our level.

I agree with you to some extent.

The point being made, unless I've misunderstood, is that after Shakeys first 6 or 7 games we have become far too passive and defensive in general, and only look interested in going forward after conceding. I think thats more tactical from the manager.

Even this season when we've won games it's when we've come out of the traps and imposed our own game on teams; pressing them. 

Putting aside last night's debacle, when that tactic is not being actioned we lose games it's as simple as that, and I'm not convinced Shakey has noted the correlation. He should know this having been here 8 years, but I fear he's just not brave enough. 

Not great was it ?

My first thought that Shinzi was a complete waste of time never strong enough against their much bigger and stronger lads.They are a big team and all good on the ball.

Fair enough Shaky probably did the right thing at half time but the discipline leaked away.Fuchs was always too far away from Benny almost covering Chilwell who despite some good moments still not quite doing a solid full back job first.

Lets have some solid structure to the team on sunday and finish off  with a win please.

3 hours ago, spurs1980 said:

An astute point about the blocks and spot on. 

It's a strange thing with some of our fans. Take the chance to give fringe players a run - either in the team or a particular position - and there's criticism. Stick to the tried and tested and there's still criticism. Answer get good players who can do all sorts of jobs...or teach them if you've got the time, belief and resources.

Watching last night there's one or two things that could be encouraged collectively. Including the primary school lesson of not taking opponents on in the back third or even back half of the pitch. We  had several players guilty of it - Benny, Chilwell,  Shinji to name three. We  paid dearly yet it shouldn't happen. It's why Kingy's been so valuable over the years. He controls and passes the ball so quickly and simply yet it's not really appreciated. Yet so much of what Tottenham did last night was based on just that.

The difference related to Kingy now is movement. He's never been the greatest athlete and his give-and goes are getting a bit laboured for all they were and are lots better than much of what we delivered yesterday.

But he's almost alone in doing that simple but vital thing consistently. Spurs had everyone doing it including their goalkeeper who rarely passed to anyone but a full-back and they gave a simple one or two-touch pass to follow on. Spurs hardly kicked it long and aimlessly all night. Kasper did it constantly and unusually inaccurately on this occasion.

The partner to passing is movement and I don't mean some lethargic jog into a vague space but determined energetic movement with thought and intent. How often did Amartey have the ball, deliver a quick pass and make himself available for its possible return? It should be a requirement of everyone or at the very least everyone should be comfortable in doing it. 

But with some of our players the close control is just to slow and too heavy.

As for longer passes we need to pick people out rather than hit areas hopefully, especially with high balls. A low cross along the edge of the six-yard box ought to attract runners but high crosses need to be specific and flighted. But can anyone flight a ball accurately in our team apart from Mahrez once in a while?          

4 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Anyone else still just really pissed off at work today? :rolleyes:

Been kind of moody all day lol

That's the trouble with football. Can either make you feel ecstatic all weekweek or turn it into one big slog

It hurts, of course, but kept in proportion it was a pretty meaningless match which we played with a notably weakened team. In the end I sat back, observed and admired what Tottenham did and thoroughly enjoyed both the game and the banter overall. 

I even thought there were the odd postiives in relation to our own game. I was encouraged by the progress of chilwell. And I became positive we need  a serious clear-out but not necessarily of the players most mentioned as needing replacement.    

Worse than embarrassing. Close to a public humiliation really. First up Spurs were excellent. Their movement off the ball absolutely spot on and it killed us.

However, to cave in in the way we did is not just acceptable. What I saw last night was players effectively giving up. What happened to professional pride?

The positive for me is that this is a result which might just give the kick up the arse our recruitment and DOF clearly need. if it needed exposing, the paucity of recruitment in the summer was laid bare for all to see. Not only that we could well lose three of the better players from that team last night. There was a glimpse of the future and it didn't look too encouraging. No depth in quality at all really. Slimani tried hard but unless we're going to play to his strengths then frankly what's the point.

3 centre backs clearly needed. We have no back up right back. Our creativity from midfield is woeful if Mahrez isn't on song. Up front we have Vardy and that's it.

Even allowing for the injuries and the fact it was a dead match it was still woeful. We need to toughen up a bit as well. So many times in so many matches we are muscled off the ball. Benny v kane was just a farce, a centre back who can't tackle and can't jump and was completely out of position some of the time.

I want to see a reaction on Sunday, no more lame performances and some kind of tactical awareness form the manager wouldn't go amiss either.

20 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Anyone else still just really pissed off at work today? :rolleyes:

Been kind of moody all day lol

That's the trouble with football. Can either make you feel ecstatic all weekweek or turn it into one big slog

A match worth nothing. Not too fussed at all. 

Could end up being helpful and make a few previously tough decisions easier regardless letting players go. 

3 hours ago, ThurmastonFox said:

Shakespeare's post match comments were intriguing. Clearly he felt some of the players let him down by not following his instructions. 

Players trying to force him out already eh :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, reynard said:

Worse than embarrassing. Close to a public humiliation really.

Really? It's barely over the papers and the media. Everyone outside of Tottenham and Leicester recognised what the game was, end of season rubber. 

Archived