Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Spurs Home Post Match 1-6 (SIX !!!)

What does last night teach us? – it was a painful lesson.

I was impressed with the quality of spurs – great passing- attacking in numbers  and defending (often we were outnumbered in their box 5 to 2,  But best of all every time Son or Kane shot at goal the shot was in the corners – high or low left or right – never at kasper. 

Shooting: I previously  mentioned the book the book “Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise” by Anders Ericsson Robert Pool   https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011H56MKS/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

- this book shows how with “deliberate practice”  (stretching, qualified, concentrated) mortals can gains the skills and the mindset of the elite (eg one guy got a golf handicap of 2 in 24 months).  EG: turn and run across the front of box,  shooting from the edge of the box through a crowded area (dummies) to hit a hoop in each corner of the goal… until they can do it 10 times I a row.

Slimani: I watched Kane muscle Benny off the ball – he is a stronger guy than when he was with us.  Slimani  looks to have lost weight and be quicker – but he need to work on his upper body strength so that he can out muscl PL defender and be able to run directly into the box (like Costa). I believe that “deliberate practice could help Slimani be a great PL centre forward … If he will put the work in.

Mahrez:  if one of you said to me “look, we’re bought this guy for £25m” and I watched his last six games I would think it was a joke.  We all know he can be great – that’s the frustrating thing about him – but his form is someplace else right now. IMO it is not a physical thing…I think he needs to practice to improve his decision making. He needs to watch videos and then freeze the action and decide what he should do and then play it forward and look at what happened.  This type of work is slow – but very beneficial.  If he goes he goes – but if he is still our player, then this is what must be done to improve his game. WE are paying him a fortune surely we could spend some time working on this issue.

Ambition: Based on last night – I don’t think any of our 11 would start for Spurs ahead of their players (OK maybe Vardy or Albrighton at a pinch)… This is a message to our owners –yet we can’t risking blowing silly money on unproven players (e.g. Mendy, Musa, Slimani, kapustka etc).  If we want to compete in the top 4 (a fine aspiration) then we must bring in players who cannot be out of place there.  Yes , I know that as a team we can show great synergy – we won the league – but if the owners ambition is to be top four then we have to bring in the right players.  Benny is a good lad – but he is not a top 4 CB.  We need two quality CBs this summer.  We need cover for Simpson.  WE need to ensure we develop Slimani (as above)… but we need different options (e.g. a player like Arnautovic, defoe, Ronbdon etc).

Shakes: We were looking better at 1:2 but then they score no 3 and we were done.  Shakey chased the game and we got walloped – he could have shored it up and settled.  Good for him.  If I was doing an audition I think I would have accepted 1:3 and hoped to get the job.   I hope they appoint him sap.

Re spurs:

Spurs have a good quality side – yet because of their wage structure they are set to lose some of this talent – and worse some of it will wind up at its competitors.  This is a moment for Levy to believe.  (Just as it is a key moment for our owners. ) If he adopts a willingness to pay for results and quality he could be in the Champions league for the next five yeas.  Or maybe he doesn’t want to risk the money to compete with the top clubs? It will be a shame if he fails to seize this opportunity.  NB it is aalways better to pay top dollar to staff you know rather then new hire you don’t know.

Re my comments about Deliberate Practice above – I think this has real value – I do wish our club would read this book.

Good for about 15 minutes but really bad for the rest of the game, Tottenham really took us to bits to be fair. Rihad's performance didn't do us any favours, I wouldn't say anyone look disinterested but everyone just looked tired and wanted the season to end. Been a long old season for the lads. Felt sorry for Shakey sounded a quite a broken man at full time, probably thinks all this hard work he's build up in the last few months as gone to nothing. Last night's result could have an effect on him getting the job which would be totally unfair.  

It was certainly a difficult night !! Except for 15min at the start and 10min after half-time we were totally out  played and thought. The injury list certainly didn't help but Spurs really gave us lesson .I watched RM all evening and am convinced his mind is elsewhere. His lack of physicality was a problem in his youth and it is now. He very rarely has a total one on one any more and is constantly bullied out of possession . Reluctantly i think it is time to cash in. That being said if our valuation is not met he stays.I still think CS should be given the job. I just wonder if he would do the job with a rolling contract ?? As everyone says the summer recruitment has to be spot on !!    

48 minutes ago, jock2612 said:

It was cainly a difficult night !!pt for 15min at the start and 10min after half-time we were totally out  played and thought. The injury list certainly didn't help but Spurs really gave us lesson .I watched RM all evening and am convinced his mind is elsewhere. His lack of physicality was a problem in his youth and it is now. He very rarely has a total one on one any more and is constantly bullied out of possession . Reluctantly i think it is time to cash in. That being said if our valuation is not met he stays.I still think CS should be given the job. I just wonder if he would do the job with a rolling contract ?? As everyone says the summer recruitment has to be spot on !!    

Dont like rolling contracts...too much pussy footing around, and actually creates pockets having lack of confidence,

Plus throws distrust on team rebuilding...

The bosses will chose.....its rightly their responsibility...

#Shakespeare, given 3yr contract no holds barred carte blanche unlesss!!!!! , we are really struggling, with no scheme

Or team ethos being seen Not to be built,Followed by  bad results....9 months  goodbye.!!!

Full support on re-investment, and team re-build.Dont play hard to get, right uptill the last minute.

Lets get the business done...If not and one or both parties  Dither.... understand player wont be in a city shirt.

If It becomes  a question of a couple of mil, and its a top player With  no1 Credentials/potential  . Get it done!!!!.

#New manager..carte blanche with a 5 yr plan.

Sorry to my single legends, and personal likes and Player  preferences, thanks for the journey, but like you, I want that dream now.

to carry on...its not just you single traders, Its me and the hard fans...I want my club guarranteed top 6, or at least attempt

to have a "Real" go at attempting to give us that dream.

DONT!!! , let Relegation   be even an uttered or underminded vibration, for my club for the next 5yrs....I want  and demand a Leicester Golden era, they dont have to deliver me that title...but give me top 6, chasing trophies...

That hurt, but only 1 game that really meant very little in the scheme of things. 

A sobering pasting by what is a fantastic team who are destined for big things in coming years, just how it is.

It shows us how poor our current Squad is and how our recruitment was shit last summer. 

If a couple of players are back in the team I 'expect' us to smash Bornemouths backdoors in.

Yes, it was a bit of a makeshift arrangement as far as formation and personnel was concerned.

And we were playing the second-best team in the Premier League at the moment, they just score for fun.

Still, I had high hopes our players, especially the fringe fraction that have seen little pitch action up to date, would use the opportunity to step up, showing what they've got.

They failed.

Unfortunately, once you look past our "regular" starting XI, it becomes so disjointed so easily.

But I suppose that was also down to the manager's somewhat odd substitutions...

It also doesn't help when your so-called marquee players act a bit like a diva or are their own worst enemy during the game.

Eight spot is pretty much unrealistic (due to our way inferior goal difference), so let's aim for 9th at least.

I can't wait for the full 180 after we beat bournemouth 3-0 on Sunday:

"Good job bouncing back by Shakey and the squad!"

"Finished in the top half of the leauge and quarterfinals of the champions league, I would have taken that at the beginning of the year."

"A good summer and we could push for Europe."

Over-reactors, the lot of you lol

5 hours ago, Thracian said:

It's a strange thing with some of our fans. Take the chance to give fringe players a run - either in the team or a particular position - and there's criticism. Stick to the tried and tested and there's still criticism. Answer get good players who can do all sorts of jobs...or teach them if you've got the time, belief and resources.

Watching last night there's one or two things that could be encouraged collectively. Including the primary school lesson of not taking opponents on in the back third or even back half of the pitch. We  had several players guilty of it - Benny, Chilwell,  Shinji to name three. We  paid dearly yet it shouldn't happen. It's why Kingy's been so valuable over the years. He controls and passes the ball so quickly and simply yet it's not really appreciated. Yet so much of what Tottenham did last night was based on just that.

The difference related to Kingy now is movement. He's never been the greatest athlete and his give-and goes are getting a bit laboured for all they were and are lots better than much of what we delivered yesterday.

But he's almost alone in doing that simple but vital thing consistently. Spurs had everyone doing it including their goalkeeper who rarely passed to anyone but a full-back and they gave a simple one or two-touch pass to follow on. Spurs hardly kicked it long and aimlessly all night. Kasper did it constantly and unusually inaccurately on this occasion.

The partner to passing is movement and I don't mean some lethargic jog into a vague space but determined energetic movement with thought and intent. How often did Amartey have the ball, deliver a quick pass and make himself available for its possible return? It should be a requirement of everyone or at the very least everyone should be comfortable in doing it. 

But with some of our players the close control is just to slow and too heavy.

As for longer passes we need to pick people out rather than hit areas hopefully, especially with high balls. A low cross along the edge of the six-yard box ought to attract runners but high crosses need to be specific and flighted. But can anyone flight a ball accurately in our team apart from Mahrez once in a while?          

Both of our midfielders continually passed and stopped. Ndidi was just as culpable as Amartey and I hope Shakey had a word after the game as they were both awful. Their only excuse was their youth. Tbf they were up against real class but there's no excuse for not doing the basics. Pass and move and track your marker were not something either seemed fussed about yesterday. 

It's all Claudio's fault

Everytime we lose it's all Claudio's fault

In fact everything that's wrong in the world is Claudio's fault.

To push it further everything in the Universe that goes wrong is Claudio's fault.

No, let me think.............. it's probably because we were crap and they weren't   :ph34r:

Memory.jpg.48ba2ed89186fbf21e5118134042f1a2.jpg

1 hour ago, Mease said:

That hurt, but only 1 game that really meant very little in the scheme of things. 

A sobering pasting by what is a fantastic team who are destined for big things in coming years, just how it is.

It shows us how poor our current Squad is and how our recruitment was shit last summer. 

If a couple of players are back in the team I 'expect' us to smash Bornemouths backdoors in.

Only kingy back (possibly) - and we didnt beat them last season when we were good! 

I could have taken this from any top 5 club apart from Spurs.

The smug ****ers will be basking in the fact they've beaten the champions of England because they came 3rd of of 2 last season

Their Saturday Sabbath supporters can **** off. 

A good team and good players but still the bridesmaid, never the bride. 

We have more silverware than them. Who cares about last night? Not me

38 minutes ago, Parafox said:

The smug ****ers will be basking in the fact they've beaten the champions of England because they came 3rd of of 2 last season

I'm not to concerned, they were 10/10 and we were not at it and had injuries to key players in key areas. 

Tthe biggest difference last night was that they had a proper midfield and we had none. Dembele and Alli ran the show without having to put in a tackle.

Yes there were mitigating circumstances injuries, even the conditions suited them more than us. 

The ones to blame though are CR and the Club for allowing a situation to arise whereby we went into the season without a proper number ten.

Unforgivable in my eyes, especially just after winning the league. Is it any wonder Walsh left.

I also don't think Shakey has the tactical know-how for the job. It's not just last night I've seen big mistakes.

20 hours ago, Parafox said:

I know. They've even brought out this DVD!!!! Uuuurrrggghh!

Retribution 1.jpg

51 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

All the bitterness towards Spurs is boring now. They're class and they're not our rivals. 

I totally agree. But perhaps it's worth taking the consideration that it's Spurs fans who initiated the rivalry in the first place....

Take a look at WeAreTottenhamTV for example, saying that they were glad they "put Leicester back in their place" ???! Inferring that if we, "little leicester", knew our place, we'd have simply aimed to survive in the league and let them win it last year... Just take a step back and you'll see how ridiculous and, dare I say, "bitter" an attitude that is. And it's not coming from us...

They are a class team. But their fans are anything but that.

On 2017-5-20 at 17:55, Kendal Fox said:

I know. They've even brought out this DVD!!!! Uuuurrrggghh!

Retribution 1.jpg

Well, they may have won the day on May 18 2017, but we won the battle on May 2 2016 (where part of that was our away win against them). Let them celebrate their win. They still didn't come away with any prize in the season just gone.

Archived