Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxoffderby

Mendy

3 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

I don't think he specifically said that he wanted out, unless you've seen an article saying so that I've missed. I only have seen an piece that suggested Bordeaux were interested in him and he said he'd be happy with a move to them, as things hadn't worked out as planned with us.

I simply read that as the club have said to him that should offers come through that met our value of him that we'd consider them, including a loan. To me a reevaluation of the squad during pre-season training has shaken up plans. Maybe a couple of the midfielders that were being considered part of the squad have not cut the mustard or maybe some offers have come in that are a better deal for us? Maybe whatever offer (query) for Mendy that came in was a low one and it hasn't increased from there on.

There's loads of reasons why he might just stay, and we take a chance with him.

However, I know myself having a glass ankle that stepping off the curb the wrong way or on a pathetically mild uneven surface my ankle can just go and I'm hobbling for a week or two all strapped up, so playing professional football, being limber, flexible, and being heavily reliant on an ankle for your job is something I can't quantify, as I struggle when mine slightly goes and I can't drive, never mind kick or dribble a ball.

Saying all that, if our physios think they can manage it with him and keep him relatively safe without impacting his performance then I am willing to see what he can do, as he definitely has the ability, but due to circumstance not been able to show it.

My ankles are exactly the same and I go over on it by simply standing on a pebble so if his are anything like ours the guy isn't a reliable option for us next season and I can't see any scenario where he is part of our plans for next season.

Regarding what's happened in pre season, he was the only player that returned with an injury so that theory surely goes out of the window.

I am referring to the Bordeaux article where he referred to a year wasted and he dreams of going back to France, to me than isn't screaming of a player that wants to fight and prove he isn't a flop which has been the whole mentality which our incredible year was built on.

7 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

My ankles are exactly the same and I go over on it by simply standing on a pebble so if his are anything like ours the guy isn't a reliable option for us next season and I can't see any scenario where he is part of our plans for next season.

Regarding what's happened in pre season, he was the only player that returned with an injury so that theory surely goes out of the window.

I am referring to the Bordeaux article where he referred to a year wasted and he dreams of going back to France, to me than isn't screaming of a player that wants to fight and prove he isn't a flop which has been the whole mentality which our incredible year was built on.

I don't think he's the only one who's returned with an injury. Morgan has a back injury, which you could argue is more likely to recur than Mendy's ankle injury.

As for the article it'll be the same one that I read. I'd say the translation of what he said and what was interpreted will be mixed. It's impossible for him that have actually said and meant the word 'wasted' being at LCFC last year. He was injured, the club didn't make him injured nor did they not try to sort him out. I think most likely is that he'll have expressed frustration at being injured and he'd have obviously like to have been playing during that time. Expressing his like for Bordeaux and if they wanted him, he'd play for them, can go two ways. LCFC told him that they might send him out on loan once he recovered, therefore, he felt he could express his interest in a club that does have a decent reputation in France. He's cheeky, was annoyed that at that point no one at the club had told him about his future, and the plans for this coming season, so felt he should pitch himself.

Either way, it looks as though things may have changed and possibly the club want to keep him. I'm sure he's not the only player that has a bad ankle, and perhaps they've evaluated that they can stick him in a blue Vardy cast and he'll be fine. Joking aside, if he's actually crocked the club wouldn't want to loan him (with a buy on clause), because if he does cop it, he'll just return to us anyways, it's either buy him or nothing (at their risk), as it would be with ourselves to keep him, maintain him, and hope for the best.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Fresh start for everyone as far as I'm concerned, nobody really looked good including players who usually perform. Clean slate, let's see if they can impress the manager.

I fully agree with that.

22 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

He's impressed in pre season alright.....

IMG_0803.PNG

You do realise that's the line-up for the first match against West Brom. Is it indicative that he won't be in the second game or used in the friendlies back in the UK? Seems to me that that line-up is an early opportunity for the young lads to play up, or pitch for a loan move.

17 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

You do realise that's the line-up for the first match against West Brom. Is it indicative that he won't be in the second game or used in the friendlies back in the UK? Seems to me that that line-up is an early opportunity for the young lads to play up, or pitch for a loan move.

We have only taken 3 youth players in the squad and one of them is Harvey Barnes who I think could well feature.

The fact that Mendy isn't there tells you all you need to know.

21 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

We have only taken 3 youth players in the squad and one of them is Harvey Barnes who I think could well feature.

The fact that Mendy isn't there tells you all you need to know.

thats true, kind of signals something might be in the offing and that, so hes more than likely gone before the end of the transfer window

20 hours ago, sdb said:

That'll be him off then

I seem to recall Shakespeare saying he wasn't fit enough to train yet in one of the video's, to my way of thinking it would be crazy to sell him without really giving him a chance to show what he can do when fit, it's the only way of maybe getting some "worth" out of him. If we ship him out now the loss of 1 years wages and what we would get for him in a transfer would represent a a hefty loss without a fight imo.

Saying it again - who is going to buy him??  They surely won't be able to get insurance on him. (maybe that doesn't exist any more given the astronomical valuations now on players? ). The club may well want to sell him but I think a loan with guaranteed purchase at the end of the season if he manages a percentage of starts (or similar measure) is most likely . 

3 hours ago, norwichfox said:

I seem to recall Shakespeare saying he wasn't fit enough to train yet in one of the video's, to my way of thinking it would be crazy to sell him without really giving him a chance to show what he can do when fit, it's the only way of maybe getting some "worth" out of him. If we ship him out now the loss of 1 years wages and what we would get for him in a transfer would represent a a hefty loss without a fight imo.

Oh really?! In a recent vid? Feel for the lad. That's basically gonna be a year of no football then. 

On 15/07/2017 at 11:40, sphericalfox said:

Indicative I really love a good Indicative. Puts hairs on ya chest does that.

On 15/07/2017 at 12:40, sphericalfox said:

No... it’s the Squad for the entire tour. 

On 7/15/2017 at 11:48, Vindaloo FOX said:

agree we have not seen him enough but my question is are we ever going to get to see him ? the guy seems to have a ankle made of fine china. He needs to get fully fit and needs game time, send him out on loan i say and let's see how he looks . 

Why the comment that 'this guy has an ankle made of fine china'? Are you aware of his past injuries or not in France because I'm not aware of such an injury record?  So if he's had one injury we write him off as an inadequate do we?  He was extremely unfortunate in that he got an injury very soon after he joined us, I see no evidence that he's been a total sick note throughout his career. Presumably we signed him because we thought he was good (actually, I think our scouts thought he was very very good). Within a short space of time he got badly injured through no fault of his own. Give the lad a break!

My son is in the shadow squad of another premiership team but is mates with many young players from our academy. As young lads are, they swap stories about various players that's all I'll say. However, as a Dad, I feel that I have to warn him of the vitriol he's likely to get towards him if he dare get injured or make a bad pass in a game. Sometimes people talk such utter shite on these pages. For example, I really don't think Mendy set out to get injured, on the contrary, I bet he was absolutely gutted because logically he would be trying to prove himself! Give him a bit of respect,  give him a chance. We sometimes talk about footballers as if they were bubble gum cards in a playground. We often wonder why some of them appear so alloof  but at times as 'supporters' we too don't do ourselves any favours.

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Why the comment that 'this guy has an ankle made of fine china'? Are you aware of his past injuries or not in France because I'm not aware of such an injury record?  So if he's had one injury we write him off as an inadequate do we?  He was extremely unfortunate in that he got an injury very soon after he joined us, I see no evidence that he's been a total sick note throughout his career. Presumably we signed him because we thought he was good (actually, I think our scouts thought he was very very good). Within a short space of time he got badly injured through no fault of his own. Give the lad a break!

My son is in the shadow squad of another premiership team but is mates with many young players from our academy. As young lads are, they swap stories about various players that's all I'll say. However, as a Dad, I feel that I have to warn him of the vitriol he's likely to get towards him if he dare get injured or make a bad pass in a game. Sometimes people talk such utter shite on these pages. For example, I really don't think Mendy set out to get injured, on the contrary, I bet he was absolutely gutted because logically he would be trying to prove himself! Give him a bit of respect,  give him a chance. We sometimes talk about footballers as if they were bubble gum cards in a playground. We often wonder why some of them appear so alloof  but at times as 'supporters' we too don't do ourselves any favours.

he was fit as a fiddle in France, played 110 games for Nice but lets be truthful he has had like 3 operations on his ankle and he is still not back, i am no doctor but that sounds like a dodgy ankle . 

i like the lad, if i remember rightly i think vs Southampton i thought he had a decent game but sadly he had to go for another operation soon after.

and i am giving the lad a break, as i have said we have not seen Mendy enough and let's get him out on loan, get him playing football again week in & week out, then let's see how good he is. 

35 minutes ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

he was fit as a fiddle in France, played 110 games for Nice but let be truthful he has had like 3 operations on his ankle and he is still not back, i am no doctor but that sounds like a dodgy ankle . 

i like the lad, if i remember rightly i think vs Southampton i thought he had a decent game but sadly he had to go for another operation soon after.

and i am giving the lad a break, as i have said we have not seen Mendy enough and let's get him out on loan, get him playing football again week in & week out, then let's see how good he is. 

You genuinely clearly know better than me and who knows how good or not he may be but,  if he's genuinely been injured on our watch, I just feel he's worthy of a bit of respect that's all. I don't know him but he's probably a very dedicated individual. 

I'm usually one for giving players the benefit of the doubt and also said earlier that he should probably get a full preseason and 6 months when full fit to prove himself here, but with Drinkwater, N'didi, Iborra, King, James and Amartey, we are saturated with defensive midfielders. I'd be happy to move him and loan out one or two of King, James and Amartey, if it meant we could sign a top creative CM. 

If Mendy was a creative CM, then would make more sense to be patient, but he's just not what we really need right now and if we can get our money back, then I would be tempted to take it and then go after a different type of CM. 

14 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I'm usually one for giving players the benefit of the doubt and also said earlier that he should probably get a full preseason and 6 months when full fit to prove himself here, but with Drinkwater, N'didi, Aborra, King, James and Amartey, we are saturated with defensive midfielders. I'd be happy to move him and loan out one or two of King, James and Amartey, if it meant we could sign a top creative CM. 

If Mendy was a creative CM, then would make more sense to be patient, but he's just not what we really need right now and if we can get our money back, then I would be tempted to take it and then go after a different type of CM. 

This.

What is Shakespeare's intention? To bore the opposition into submission by Amartey playing a five yard pass to Drinkwater, who then plays a sideways pass to Iborra and it starts again?

lol

Where is the bit of skill, trickery, slide rule ball, creativity? I can't see it with our midfielders. If we want to scare the opposition to death by sheer size and stature then fine...maybe this is what Shakey is genuinely going for. A modern day Wimbledon.

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

This.

What is Shakespeare's intention? To bore the opposition into submission by Amartey playing a five years pass to Drinkwater, who then plays a sideways pass to Iborra and it starts again?

lol

Where is the bit of skill, trickery, slide rule ball, creativity? I can't see it with our midfielders. If we want to scare the opposition to death by sheer size and stature then fine...maybe this is what Shakey is genuinely going for. A modern day Wimbledon.

Think Shakey likes the old hoof so we don't really need creative midfielders

3 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Think Shakey likes the old hoof so we don't really need creative midfielders

I could be miles off, but so far I think it's looking clear what 'the Shakey way' will be. Well drilled, well organised, tough, big, hard to beat...but possibly not too pretty either.

Archived