Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxoffderby

Mendy

He was very highly rated in Europe when he joined us and I believe he is a very talented defensive mid-fielder. He injured his ankle and went through surgery to fix it which was unsuccessful and had to have a second operation on it. He has had a run of bad luck but when healthy could really be an asset to us. Shakey is saying that Mendy is not ready to play yet and is not training with the team. Too early to give up on him yet & he is not healthy enough to sell. I still think he can do a job for LCFC.

7 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

He was very highly rated in Europe when he joined us and I believe he is a very talented defensive mid-fielder. He injured his ankle and went through surgery to fix it which was unsuccessful and had to have a second operation on it. He has had a run of bad luck but when healthy could really be an asset to us. Shakey is saying that Mendy is not ready to play yet and is not training with the team. Too early to give up on him yet & he is not healthy enough to sell. I still think he can do a job for LCFC.

He was highly rated and seemed a very good buy at the time. Personally I hate the disrespect when a player like him, through no fault of his own, hasn't even been given the chance to try and prove himself. What if that had been Kante?  We'd have had egg on our faces because he turned out to be none to shabby. Personally I feel very sorry for the lad and his career, if I was him and read these pages I'd want to piss off also. He came, got injured, not his fault. Bearing in mind he was bought in part for his passing ability,  isn't it ironic we've just bought another one suggesting a weakness has been identified?  Let's hope our new players get a bit more loyalty and support shown towards them.

On 6/28/2017 at 07:02, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Always looked a tad porky to me, even before the long-term injuries. Can't see anyone paying a decent fee until he's played a bit of footie and shed some poundage.

I think weight is deceptive with shorter players. If they have some muscle, they can look bulky. Mendy can chase the ball all day when healthy, fitness is not a concern at all with him. His injury, well. Different story.

33 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I think this is right. The thing to remember here is that this may be the most important season In LCFC's existence. This is the season the team is expected to fail. The lads unexpectedly won the league, and then shocked and made the CL QF run. Now it is supposed to be back to normal, people expect LCFC to suck, we are losing Mahrez, Vardy and Huth and Wes and Shinji and Fuchs are all a year older at ages they are expected to show some decline.

But what if LCFC doesn't just fade into obscurity next season? What if the lads finish with a spot in Europe next season? That changes the narrative completely. Suddenly LCFC isn't the cute little fluke, but rather a team on the rise. There is a nice young core of talent on the squad, with a good mix of veterans who have done it before. Suddenly recruits will be interested in a way they have never been before. 

So the question is, does selling Mendy make LCFC more or less likely to challenge for Europe this season? I think less. If we believe he will get healthy this season, he is a starting-quality player providing terrific depth and defensive energy as a substitute. Perhaps he will be so good he could supplant someone and start. And if Ndidi or DD were to be injured, having Mendy to cover that would be a huge luxury. We have lots of MF depth, true, but none with his experience, reputation, and upside. He is pretty close to the absolute top of the overall substitute depth chart if healthy. 

I'd prefer we wait and see what we have. Unless there is some pressing reason to trade him at a big loss, like genuinely needing that money to bring in a healthy player -- which I don't believe will be a problem this window -- better to sit on the asset, let him get healthy, see if he can help next season. the only way I move him is if Shakey is convinced he simply doesn't fit, or there is some other problem we aren't privy to. Otherwise, let's get him healthy and see what he can do.

Archived