Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

28 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

not sure yet buddy, still working on the long-term plan but my wife is a teacher so hoping she can find work in an international school somewhere. that should give us access to decent money and living space elsewhere and I'll probably look to teach English as well. I won't earn as much but money isn't the issue for me. I just need to get out of this country and find somewhere more positive and inspiring to be. probably look for somewhere fairly close by initially, Amsterdam or similar just to get a feel for it and then move further away if it suits us. I'd love to end up back in Japan for a couple of years tbh. 

life is too short to get stuck here in a declining economy with a government and 52% populous intent on dragging us back to the dark ages. 

there's plenty of opportunity, open-mindedness and beauty elsewhere in the world. 

I lived in Amsterdam for a year in my late teens, I don’t remember an awful lot about it though. Also I lodged in Munich for 6 months which was brilliant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Just what I was going to say ...   you’re an intelligent man Tod ..  the government asked the question the people answered.   You can’t just keep asking it till you get the right answer ...   it’s like the guy who flips a coin, loses, then says best of three !! 

Only it’s not even best of three, it’s keep going until we win and then stop forever.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I lived in Amsterdam for a year in my late teens, I don’t remember an awful lot about it though. Also I lodged in Munich for 6 months which was brilliant.

Germany is a fantastic place and I could easily live there ..   except there is no way I am leaving England ...   I love it !!!

Further afield Canada and New Zealand would also be great places to live ...   the young prince wants to move to the other side of the planet and I can’t blame him ..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MattP said:

Which is exactly what the British people seem to want?

Why is it fine for them but backwards for us to have the same thing?

So you're happy for EU citizens to migrate here so long as they have work?'we can kick them out in 3 months if they don't work as it stands.

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Germany is a fantastic place and I could easily live there ..   except there is no way I am leaving England ...   I love it !!!

Further afield Canada and New Zealand would also be great places to live ...   the young prince wants to move to the other side of the planet and I can’t blame him ..

Yeah Canada and New Zealand are fantastic countries that I’m yet to visit. I’d love to do a few months in both.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Yeah, weed has that effect on people...

Guest MattP
6 hours ago, Strokes said:

Yeah Canada and New Zealand are fantastic countries that I’m yet to visit. I’d love to do a few months in both.

New Zealand is absolutely amazing, best place I've ever been.

3 hours ago, MattP said:

New Zealand is absolutely amazing, best place I've ever been.

Me too. We were lucky to go on honeymoon there for 3 weeks. My wife would emigrate tomorrow if she could. My cousin and his family live out there and we'd love to take our own kids to visit them one day. A beautiful country.

Guest MattP
12 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Me too. We were lucky to go on honeymoon there for 3 weeks. My wife would emigrate tomorrow if she could. My cousin and his family live out there and we'd love to take our own kids to visit them one day. A beautiful country.

Had one of the best days of my life when taking a boat out to Waiheke Island and then touring the vineyards. Never ever felt so away from the World, paradise.

Certainly my choice of place for retirement if possible at the time.

13 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Whereabouts do they live, Izzy?

12 minutes ago, Buce said:

Whereabouts do they live, Izzy?

They live near a town called Taihape in the middle of the north island. I prefer the South Island but the bay of islands at the top of the north is also beautiful. Apart from the cities there’s just nobody around. We drove for hours on the South Island and hardy ever saw another car. 

• Thanks 1

On 24/06/2018 at 12:07, Countryfox said:

Just what I was going to say ...   you’re an intelligent man Tod ..  the government asked the question the people answered.   You can’t just keep asking it till you get the right answer ...   it’s like the guy who flips a coin, loses, then says best of three !! 

Feels like Heathrow have been asking for a 3rd runway for decades.  If they can do it... :ph34r: 

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Feels like Heathrow have been asking for a 3rd runway for decades.  If they can do it... :ph34r: 

On that subject, only Boris could protest against airport expansion by flying half way across the World.

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:17, toddybad said:

So you're happy for EU citizens to migrate here so long as they have work?'we can kick them out in 3 months if they don't work as it stands.

That is exactly as it should be. Why should they come from abroad, and get hand outs the expense of the British taxpayer?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

So you agree with the current system under EU law...

EU gives us a reasonable power, our government choose not to implement it properly, man on the street blames the EU.

lololololoololololololol couldn't make that shit up.

• Like 2

Guest MattP
9 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

That might be the most ridiculous thing I've read regarding the referendum, America often struggles to get our politics but Jesus.

The actual Farage quote was something like "it appears Remain have nicked it" - a view shared by Yougov and virtually every other pundit at the time. The private polling from Banks, Farage and Wigmore was a slight win for Remain, that's in the bad boys of Brexit book.

The idea that had a serious impact is ludicrous, the pound rose sharply after the vote closed and it only went down when the Sunderland result came in as that showed Leave had a chance.

Brexit uncertainty putting 860,000 jobs at risk, says car industry

needs Britain to remain in customs union ‘Sectoras a minimum’, says lobby group

Car manufacturers have warned Theresa May there is “no Brexit dividend” for the industry, with 860,000 jobs being put at risk unless the government “rethinks” its red lines in negotiations.

In the starkest warning yet from a single business sector, the car lobby has told the government that it needs “as a minimum” to remain in the customs union and a deal that delivers “single market benefits”.

“There is no Brexit dividend for our industry,” Michael Hawes, the chief executive of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), said.

It said Brexit uncertainty was thwarting investment and repeated calls for the UK to stay in the customs union until the government came up with a “credible plan B”.

With investment slowing and time running out, negotiators had to get on with the job of agreeing a deal that would put an end to uncertainty and prioritise the needs of the automotive sector, the SMMT said.

The sector had grown for the eighth successive year with turnover at a record £82bn in 2017. However, it said 2018 has showed a slowdown in output, with investment earmarked for new models, equipments and facilities in the UK halving to about £347m.

In a lengthy statement showing the depth of frustration over Brexit in the sector, the SMMT hinted that car firms including BMW, Honda and Nissan would have to move production elsewhere if the uncertainty around Brexit continued for much longer.

“With decisions on new vehicle models in the UK due soon, government must take steps to boost investor confidence and safeguard the thousands of jobs that depend on the sector,” it said ahead of a key conference for the automotive industry.

The government had “no credible plan B” for customs arrangements post-Brexit, it said, that would keep the port of Dover flowing freely.

Car manufacturers rely on what is known as “just in time” production whereby components, mostly from the EU, cross the Channel just hours before they are needed on the assembly line. More than 1,000 trucks a day cross the Channel with these components.

“The current position, with conflicting messages and red lines, goes directly against the interests of the UK automotive sector which has thrived on single market and customs union membership,” said Hawes. “There is no credible ‘plan B’ for frictionless customs arrangements, nor is it realistic to expect that new trade deals can be agreed with the rest of the world that will replicate the immense value of trade with the EU. Government must rethink its position on the customs union.”

Frictionless borders could only be achieved through continued membership of the customs union and maintenance of the benefits that the single market delivered, he added.

“There is no Brexit dividend for our industry, particularly in what is an increasingly hostile and protectionist global trading environment. Our message to government is that until it can demonstrate exactly how a new model for customs and trade with the EU can replicate the benefits we currently enjoy, don’t change it,” he said.

The car industry is one of the leading employers in the country, responsible for 856,000 jobs, 186,000 of which are on the production lines.

Hawes told reporters at the International Automotive Summit in London that “signs were more ominous” for investment this year after eight years of growth.

“If we cannot cut through the fog of the uncertainty there will be casualties,” he said. “For this year are more ominous, contingency planning, job losses, investment halved to less than £350m so far year, that’s the cost of uncertainty, that that’s the price we pay for slow decision-making,” he said.

Ian Robertson, the most senior British executive at the German firm BMW, said: “We are not turning our backs on the UK.” But he said that any delay in Dover “would start to impact” upon manufacturing and its competitiveness.

He said BMW was not intending to move any car production to any of its other plants around the world but it would be “foolhardy” not to have “contingency ideas”.

The company uses 5m components a day, with 250 trucks a day delivering many of these from Europe on the Calais-Dover route.

He said that the car industry was “the most competitive” it had ever been, inferring that added costs would not be something the British consumer would bear.

“We can ill afford to have things that are thrust into that competitive equation,” said Robertson.

Hawes’ comments came hours after BMW said it would be forced to close its production sites in the UK, putting 8,000 jobs at risk, if components for Mini and Rolls-Royce cars were caught up in customs delays after Brexit.

Bosses from BMW and other car companies have been urging the government for months not to damage the supply chain that keeps Britain’s car assembly lines running.

Speaking later on the BBC, Hawes said the car industry was not likely to close overnight, but it was suffering “a death by 1,000 cuts”.

Honda told the Financial Times on Tuesday it still only stored enough parts to maintain production of the Honda Civic for 36 hours.

To keep its plant in Swindon open for nine days, it would need to build the largest building in the world, with the equivalent of 42 football pitches, almost three times the size of Amazon’s main US distribution centre.