Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Wouldn't be surprised, but not sure what it would accomplish, the problems over the Irish boarder were there 2 years ago, they're there today, and I'd expect them to still be there in the future. What does more time actually solve? 

It gives the current celebreticians chance to get another freebie role on the tax payer that is less involved than steering the country away from brussels. When someone says, we need more time, 9 times out of 10, it's because they don't like what they're doing or don't really know how to do it.

Edited by yorkie1999

9 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I’ve had no time recently until today to trawl through media reports but having done so I’m struggling to see in relation to Brexit any other outcome than both sides agreeing more time. I just don’t see any satisfactory reality for either side in a no deal scenario.

Am I missing something big or do others kinda think we are heading this way?

That sounds logical but assumes there are 2 sides, each rationally pursuing its agreed set of interests. In reality, British politics is utterly fragmented with different factions of the Tory party and other parties pursuing mutually contradictory sets of interests, none of them capable of commanding majority support. It's also unclear what powers Parliament will have over the Brexit legislation.

I cannot see many of the ERG crew supporting a one-year extension to the transition period and cannot see May winning over sufficient Labour MPs to compensate for that. The proposal would be defeated in the UK Parliament, surely?

I'm sure the EU would agree an extended transition period (subject to the Irish backstop remaining in place) - and I'm sure that May would agree to it, if she thought she could get it through parliament, but no sign of that.

I cannot see past there being a massive political/constitutional crisis in the UK in the next 2-3 months. Whether that leads us to No Deal, to an election/referendum or to an extension of the 2-year period allowed for withdrawal negotiations, I've no idea - though extended withdrawal negotiations (as opposed to an extended transition period / extended negotiations on future relations) seems the least likely outcome. 

I suppose the longer it drags on, the better May's chances of forcing a last-minute deal through parliament - but that would be a massive political risk, as if she lost we'd face a nightmare going into No Deal massively under-prepared at a couple of months' notice. Also, if uncertainty drags on towards March, I presume business and the public are going to get ever more anxious, potentially causing all sorts of damage.

Another difficulty is the uncertainty over what powers parliament will have if presented with a deal. In June, Grieve & the Tory Remainers backed down from confronting May over this. They accepted non-binding govt assurances that parliament would be listened to, if it voted against any deal and that the Speaker (now engulfed in a bullying controversy) would allow parliament to be heard. Thus, it may be up to John Bercow to decide whether Parliament has the option to amend the Brexit deal legislation (e.g. by sending the govt back to renegotiate or calling a referendum) or is simply presented with a "May's deal or No Deal" choice.....or can simply be ignored by govt, even if it votes against the deal.

I won't bore on about the divergent views of different factions, but here's a go at the parliamentary arithmetic. Ignoring abstentions, May needs about 322 votes:

- Tory loyalists/pragmatists: 222 

- Tory ERG crew: 80

- Tory Remainers: 15

- DUP: 10

- Convinced Labour Brexiteers: 5

- Pragmatic Labour Brexiteers: 10

- Labour loyalists/Remainers: 247

- Other Remainers (LD, SNP etc.): 53

Try using those figures to get 322 votes for anything. On the face of it, there's no majority for any deal that May is likely to do and that the EU is likely to allow. But there's also no majority for No Deal or for an election or referendum. Something has to give, but we might only find out when the Brexit deal/no deal comes before parliament and Bercow says what parliament can or cannot do. If the EU was prepared to sell Ireland down the river over the border backstop, the Tories/DUP might be able to get a deal through parliament - but that looks unlikely. If May agrees to an extended transition period and even a fudged commitment to hypothetical checks on GB-NI food/livestock in 3 years time, she surely loses 50 ERG/DUP MPs? She's then reliant on a massive Labour rebellion with 40 Labour MPs, mainly Remainers, voting for her deal and keeping the Tories in power in the face of hostility from party leadership and members......

• Like 4

Homicide rate at highest level in a decade
1 hour ago
Share this with Facebook Share this with Messenger Share this with Twitter Share this with Email Share
Recorded crime has gone up by 9% in England and Wales, fuelled by rises in violent offences and robbery, official figures show.

The Home Office data published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show police forces in England and Wales registered a total of 5.6 million offences in the year to June, compared with 5.2 million offences in the previous 12 months

What else did the figures reveal?

The number of homicides - covering murder, manslaughter and infanticide - in England and Wales has hit the highest point for more than 10 years. It is the fourth year in a row that there has been a rise.

NB: Homicide figures exclude terror attacks and the Hillsborough disaster.

However, the number of people being charged in homicide cases has not increased - it has actually fallen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45905954

I've been thinking this must be the case for a while now as there seems to be a whole lot more violence being reported in Leicester & Leicestershire and the East Midlands in general with barely a day going by without a report of violence on the local news.

For example in tonight's Merc

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/victims-double-stabbing-melton-among-2123571

The two victims in a suspected double stabbing in Melton are among three men arrested over the violence.

One man is in hospital after suffering what detectives describe as "serious injuries" following an incident in a residential area on the edge of the town centre.

Leicestershire Police said they were called to a property in Bentley Street, near the town's Morrisons supermarket, just before 11.30pm last night following a report that a man had suffered stab wounds.

The man, aged 32, was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham.

A spokeswoman for the force said: "His injuries were believed to be life-threatening and he remains in hospital where he is receiving treatment.

"While in attendance at the scene, officers were made aware of a report that another man had suffered stab wounds in a separate area of Bentley Street.

"The man, aged 33, was taken to the Leicester Royal Infirmary with injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening or life-changing. He has since been discharged."

And

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/murder-arrest-made-after-body-2121840

An 18-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after the discovery of a body at a house.

Police said they were called to a report of an “altercation” at a house in Southfields Drive on the Saffron Lane Estate in Leicester, at 10.15 last night and they arrived to find a dead man inside the home.

He had not yet been formally identified.

The teenager, who is from Leicester, was arrested on suspicion of murder but had not yet been charged. He remains in police custody.

And

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/man-robbed-knife-point-three-2123984

A man was threatened at knife point before being robbed in Enderby.

The man, who is in his 40s, was walking along Mill Lane at around 5pm on Wednesday when he was approached by two men on a motorbike.

Another man blocked his way on a bicycle while the man on the back of the motorbike wielded a knife and demanded the victim's phone.

A Leicestershire Police spokesperson said: "The man with the knife demanded the victim’s phone, which was later thrown to the ground.

"Cash was also stolen from the victim’s wallet.

"No injuries were reported following the incident.

"The three men left the scene heading towards the area of Bantlam Lane and over Kirk Lane.

"The motorcycle used in the incident was described as an Aprilia black motorcycle which has a red stripe on the petrol tank.

lol

Sir Paul Beresford struggles with Scottish accent

New Zealand-born Conservative MP Sir Paul Beresford struggles to understand a question from the SNP's David Linden.

After two attempts, and a request to speak more slowly, Deputy Speaker Lindsay Hoyle stepped in and suggested they resolve the issue by letter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-45900253/sir-paul-beresford-struggles-with-scottish-accent

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

lol

Sir Paul Beresford struggles with Scottish accent

New Zealand-born Conservative MP Sir Paul Beresford struggles to understand a question from the SNP's David Linden.

After two attempts, and a request to speak more slowly, Deputy Speaker Lindsay Hoyle stepped in and suggested they resolve the issue by letter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-45900253/sir-paul-beresford-struggles-with-scottish-accent

It’s hilarious but also kinda embarrassing that a human being of that age representing people in a supposedly United Kingdom hasn’t been exposed enough to those people who he wishes to serve (I’m sure there are people from Scotland living in his constituency) that he can’t even tell what they are saying. Let’s hope he doesn’t have to go to Glasgow any time soon as Linden’s accent isn’t particularly strong!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been reading about the surge of English and immigrants based in England moving to Rep of Ireland, including small businesses, some citing the increase in racism being the reason, I've always been a big defender of this country but the way its been heading over the past 2 years and the views so many seem to have goes against what I believe in and what I thought was great about this country, so I don't blame them one bit.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I've been reading about the surge of English and immigrants based in England moving to Rep of Ireland, including small businesses, some citing the increase in racism being the reason, I've always been a big defender of this country but the way its been heading over the past 2 years and the views so many seem to have goes against what I believe in and what I thought was great about this country, so I don't blame them one bit.

Bet they won't be leaving their sofas and tyres lying round when they come back.

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Bet they won't be leaving their sofas and tyres lying round when they come back.

3 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

why would they come back?  Judging from the reports they're more than happy.

I think he was joking ...   :)

17 hours ago, davieG said:

Homicide rate at highest level in a decade
1 hour ago
Share this with Facebook Share this with Messenger Share this with Twitter Share this with Email Share
Recorded crime has gone up by 9% in England and Wales, fuelled by rises in violent offences and robbery, official figures show.

The Home Office data published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show police forces in England and Wales registered a total of 5.6 million offences in the year to June, compared with 5.2 million offences in the previous 12 months

What else did the figures reveal?

The number of homicides - covering murder, manslaughter and infanticide - in England and Wales has hit the highest point for more than 10 years. It is the fourth year in a row that there has been a rise.

NB: Homicide figures exclude terror attacks and the Hillsborough disaster.

However, the number of people being charged in homicide cases has not increased - it has actually fallen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45905954

I've been thinking this must be the case for a while now as there seems to be a whole lot more violence being reported in Leicester & Leicestershire and the East Midlands in general with barely a day going by without a report of violence on the local news.

For example in tonight's Merc

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/victims-double-stabbing-melton-among-2123571

The two victims in a suspected double stabbing in Melton are among three men arrested over the violence.

One man is in hospital after suffering what detectives describe as "serious injuries" following an incident in a residential area on the edge of the town centre.

Leicestershire Police said they were called to a property in Bentley Street, near the town's Morrisons supermarket, just before 11.30pm last night following a report that a man had suffered stab wounds.

The man, aged 32, was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham.

A spokeswoman for the force said: "His injuries were believed to be life-threatening and he remains in hospital where he is receiving treatment.

"While in attendance at the scene, officers were made aware of a report that another man had suffered stab wounds in a separate area of Bentley Street.

"The man, aged 33, was taken to the Leicester Royal Infirmary with injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening or life-changing. He has since been discharged."

And

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/murder-arrest-made-after-body-2121840

An 18-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after the discovery of a body at a house.

Police said they were called to a report of an “altercation” at a house in Southfields Drive on the Saffron Lane Estate in Leicester, at 10.15 last night and they arrived to find a dead man inside the home.

He had not yet been formally identified.

The teenager, who is from Leicester, was arrested on suspicion of murder but had not yet been charged. He remains in police custody.

And

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/man-robbed-knife-point-three-2123984

A man was threatened at knife point before being robbed in Enderby.

The man, who is in his 40s, was walking along Mill Lane at around 5pm on Wednesday when he was approached by two men on a motorbike.

Another man blocked his way on a bicycle while the man on the back of the motorbike wielded a knife and demanded the victim's phone.

A Leicestershire Police spokesperson said: "The man with the knife demanded the victim’s phone, which was later thrown to the ground.

"Cash was also stolen from the victim’s wallet.

"No injuries were reported following the incident.

"The three men left the scene heading towards the area of Bantlam Lane and over Kirk Lane.

"The motorcycle used in the incident was described as an Aprilia black motorcycle which has a red stripe on the petrol tank.

Well that cheered me up no end.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bovril said:

Though if it were intercepted by aliens they wouldn't get a great impression of human kind. 

Tbh if they're advanced enough to know we're here and have been observing in recent times they're probably breaking out the planet busting laser already.

Either that or showing it on their homeworld for their own amusement, same way we have really awful reality TV.

Tory MP Johnny Mercer, tragic it's got to this state - a complete mess.

The fact they still lead in the polls sums up everyone else.

IMG_20181019_143143.jpg

26 minutes ago, bovril said:

Finally the excuse I need to delete my facebook account. 

i left facebook about 4 years ago and don't miss it one bit. 

**** wasting time looking at what the peripheral saps in your life are doing.

Edited by lifted*fox