Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Paul Mason offers an explanation of how the ecosystem of fake news, Alt Right propaganda (or Left, by extension) & internet conspiracy theories works.....showing how it can undermine democracy in these times of populism - and potential fascism.

Also shows why, for all their flaws, the BBC, Channel 4 and the rest can be crucial players in preventing or minimising the corruption of our democracy.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6088353/Jeremy-Corbyn-declares-class-war-BBC.html

I actually agree with Jeremy here, it is absurd how middle class some media organisations are.

I don't think wanting working class representation is class war in any way, it would certainly go some way to the absurd bias the organisation has towards what are often overtly middle class causes.

But the bit about funding "public interest journalism" filled me with dread.  I can think of nothing worse for our society than the government of the day deciding what is public interest journalism.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Paul Mason offers an explanation of how the ecosystem of fake news, Alt Right propaganda (or Left, by extension) & internet conspiracy theories works.....showing how it can undermine democracy in these times of populism - and potential fascism.

Also shows why, for all their flaws, the BBC, Channel 4 and the rest can be crucial players in preventing or minimising the corruption of our democracy.

It needs more politicians to go on BBC, Sky News and Channel 4 to answer questions.  However, we're actually seeing the opposite with more politicians refusing to be interviewed.  Corbyn is one of the worst according to James O'Brien.

Edited by breadandcheese
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MattP said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6088353/Jeremy-Corbyn-declares-class-war-BBC.html

I actually agree with Jeremy here, it is absurd how middle class some media organisations are.

I don't think wanting working class representation is class war in any way, it would certainly go some way to the absurd bias the organisation has towards what are often overtly middle class causes.

Really? So we should not be classifying people on ability or performance but instead on factors they have no influence over? 

That anyone could even think that publishing people's full background could solve the diversity 'problem' is mind boggling. Its like publishing salaries, what has that achieved? Men largely took pay cuts instead of women being paid better. Wonderful.

As for the rest of what Corbyn is proposing - well it genuinely beggars belief.

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Like 2

The BBC is not the problem it's today's politicians, so untrustworthy, maybe they always have been but managed to avoid getting found out but there's certainly so many more of them and seem a whole lot worse.

What are the lunatic fringe of the Tory party playing at now? In the last couple of days I've seen Reese Mogg say "don't join the party because of me" and I think they've denied Arran Banks entry to the party - someone the loons would love. And Boris has moved onto stirring other tensions to get himself noticed too. I wonder how they'll all cope after a no deal and what they'll do.

Guest MattP
18 hours ago, breadandcheese said:

But the bit about funding "public interest journalism" filled me with dread.  I can think of nothing worse for our society than the government of the day deciding what is public interest journalism.

17 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Really? So we should not be classifying people on ability or performance but instead on factors they have no influence over? 

That anyone could even think that publishing people's full background could solve the diversity 'problem' is mind boggling. Its like publishing salaries, what has that achieved? Men largely took pay cuts instead of women being paid better. Wonderful.

I'm not advocating voting for him, the man is complete lunatic and his policies even worse. He does have a point though with this and how organisations like the BBC are bastions of middle class liberalism and that does effect the public discourse when it comes their reporting of politics.

If we are going to head for the identity politics route, which even the Tories now seem to up for, class is just as important as race.

Edited by MattP

Guest MattP
11 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

It's amazing how many of his supporters will claim this isn't anti-Semitic.

Be interesting to see how it compares to the Chakribati report...

Nick Griffin is all in now, he'll be in Labour party by 2019.

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I find it so bizarre that we've actually taken two pretty ancient, actually both pretty culturally conservative religions and we've allocated them one each to opposite sides of our entrenched political spectrum. 

Jews are on the blue team, Muslims are on the red team, line drawn, we're done, let's go.

Now you'll struggle to find a Tory voter that will concede that Israel's treatment of the Palestinians is awful or a Labour voter that'll acknowledge Hamas are evil. 

If you're Conservative and you dare suggest we've got a problem with radical Islam, you're Islamophobic, if you're Labour and you dare to be critical of radical Zionists or the Israeli state then you're anti-Semetic. 

It's so odd.

Nail on the head for me. I've always been baffled with this obsession, and never really managed to give a toss about the plight of either side.

This is about two groups of people spending 70 (well, thousands of) years squabbling over who is entitled to a fairly ugly piece of land, senselessly killing each other over it and refusing to even entertain the idea of peace, because annihilation is much more preferable. 

Even worse is both sides weaponising their own children either by conscripting them, using them as a shield or strapping them to suicide vests.

Fed up of ****ing hearing about it to be honest. Either sort it out of **** off.

The late, great Christopher Hitchens outlines why the very origins of the story of the land are utter bollocks:

26 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I find it so bizarre that we've actually taken two pretty ancient, actually both pretty culturally conservative religions and we've allocated them one each to opposite sides of our entrenched political spectrum. 

Jews are on the blue team, Muslims are on the red team, line drawn, we're done, let's go.

Now you'll struggle to find a Tory voter that will concede that Israel's treatment of the Palestinians is awful or a Labour voter that'll acknowledge Hamas are evil. 

If you're Conservative and you dare suggest we've got a problem with radical Islam, you're Islamophobic, if you're Labour and you dare to be critical of radical Zionists or the Israeli state then you're anti-Semetic. 

It's so odd. 

...and then you've got women and LGBT folks in the middle trying to point out that either way they're going to get shat on. It's similar to the situation in the US where conservative Christianity comes into it too wrt Israel.

If they actually took some time away from falling out over what land is holy and therefore theirs, they might actually find there's quite a lot similar in terms of their social policy (especially their treatment of the aforementioned two groups above). Like you said, it is odd that they've ended up so polarised against each other.

Guest MattP
30 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's so odd.

Lot of truth in this. Tribalism at it's worst.

For what it's worth I think some of the treatment dished out by the IDF is appalling.

The problem with Labour now though goes far deeper, find a anti-democratic anti-Western regime with overt racism and you'll find Jeremy somewhere, he's the unluckiest peace campaigner in the World. He knows and has sat next to more anti-semites and murderers than I've had hot dinners. He's just so unfortunate and now because of his dementia he doesn't even remember any of it.

19 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

I have met,come across a many British  middle-class young oohhhaas,who's ability and performance,were strange words.

Then again some,took their chance in the hand and realised that potential.

Both the Modern conservative and Labour parties,are finding,their potentially actual top ministers,are inept ,are in total chaos

as a group,representing their country,their individual seats and the electorate.

Total failure of not even understanding preperation,and a deceitful Brexit-movement from both sides of the divide.

Sorry just downright idiots,when talking to foreign representitives,playing an immature blame game,while still carrying on

unnecessary Internal power games. Not once taking their elected position to represent their people locally,or for their country professionally

or honourably...it's still a job for boys/gals. I can't take UP politics serious,with B.Johnson..and Jeremy Hunt at the forefront,just to mention 2.I

Then you are still trying to have a decent discussion,and build opinions on the backs of these people's deceit and forged political

careers and descisions....I was a remainer...but then after the vote,hoped to see a group of committed honest to job,work for

the benefit of the nation....We got instead a group of cackling bitches,who have lied and not took their stand,and their chosen politics

Seriously...  No cross party plan,no single party plan...f#k it!!!   Just lost incompetent unassessed,movements with trash-mandates...

good British businesses,being let down by political ineptitude.....

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Nail on the head for me. I've always been baffled with this obsession, and never really managed to give a toss about the plight of either side.

This is about two groups of people spending 70 (well, thousands of) years squabbling over who is entitled to a fairly ugly piece of land, senselessly killing each other over it and refusing to even entertain the idea of peace, because annihilation is much more preferable. 

Even worse is both sides weaponising their own children either by conscripting them, using them as a shield or strapping them to suicide vests.

Fed up of ****ing hearing about it to be honest. Either sort it out of **** off.

The late, great Christopher Hitchens outlines why the very origins of the story of the land are utter bollocks:

I think you've missed his point.

Or maybe I have to be fair. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It's so odd. 

It may well be odd but as it stands, the Labour party is led by an antisemite.  Whatever way you dress that up, it is appalling and seemingly there is very little backlash against Corbyn from within his own party.  It is normalising the behaviour in the same way Trump is doing in the US for the alt-right.

• Like 1

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/brexit-no-deal-eu-horizon2020-dominic-raab-a8506146.html

Scientific collaboration was always one of the things likely to be hit by any kind of Brexit, most notably a no-deal one.

It would be sad to see a lot of decent UK talent leaving for other places because the best opportunities for research aren't there any more due to lack of funding.

• Like 1