Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Pope Frank Visit Bingo.

- "love, tolerance & understanding" etc

- cape gets blown over his head

- someone on TV notes the smaller audience than PJP2's in 1979

- someone hands him a baby to kiss

- "forgiveness for all the raping" etc

- finds a way to have a pop at atheists and blame them for the far right

- Popemobile gets stuck

- then turns into a Popebike like in Batman

- presents special episode of Bullseye for RTE

- "we must help the poor, and I'm doing everything I can from me palace" etc

- mentions St Mother Teresa though steers clear of her more dodgy behaviour

- Father Ted reference

- about the Magdeline Laundries "Soz, lol"

- starts beatification of someone who is immediately revealed to have been involved in either child abuse cover up or mother and baby homes scandals

- Sinead O'Connor is finally forgiven for revealing the truth back in the 90s

- "let's be honest they do look a bit like letterboxes"

- Ex-Benedict still ain't dead yet

- something about the Falklands

- "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER"

- ignores mass protests going on in Dublin

- "YES"

- "can't beat a bit of bully"

Edited by urban.spaceman

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/brexit-no-deal-eu-horizon2020-dominic-raab-a8506146.html

Scientific collaboration was always one of the things likely to be hit by any kind of Brexit, most notably a no-deal one.

It would be sad to see a lot of decent UK talent leaving for other places because the best opportunities for research aren't there any more due to lack of funding.

Further to this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45303280

8 hours ago, bovril said:

Worth a listen.

Jason Hunter is always worth listening to. The way he skewers that idiot is golden.  Heard him on LBC a while back as well schooling James O'Brien.  He just has a way of explaining the complexities of international trade in such a simple way.

Has offered to debate with Farage on his radio show but funnily enough none of his calls ever get through....

• Like 2

Oh I see that Moggy was on form again today talking about the Irish border issue.  The guy is clueless.  Does anyone actually take him serious though?  I find it bewildering how much media airtime he gets bearing in mind he is just a backbencher.  I suppose he's considered a 'character...

• Like 2

On 25/08/2018 at 23:36, Brizzle Fox said:

Oh I see that Moggy was on form again today talking about the Irish border issue.  The guy is clueless.  Does anyone actually take him serious though?  I find it bewildering how much media airtime he gets bearing in mind he is just a backbencher.  I suppose he's considered a 'character...

The fact he's taken seriously is half the problem. His comments were so naïve it's untrue - proof that eloquence and intelligence are not the same thing.

There's a few people in here who bum off Mogg as having potential to be next for PM. 

It's absolutely laughable that anyone can consider this man anything other a ****ing dickhead tbh.

How anybody from a reasonably normal background can support what is pretty much a comedy act, caricature of a man - with his over-the-top fake posh accent and above everyone else attitude just doesn't make any sense, at all. 

What happens to normal people that disconnects them from REAL people and makes them support people like Mogg, I'll never know. Very, very unsettling. 

10 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

There's a few people in here who bum off Mogg as having potential to be next for PM. 

It's absolutely laughable that anyone can consider this man anything other a ****ing dickhead tbh.

How anybody from a reasonably normal background can support what is pretty much a comedy act, caricature of a man - with his over-the-top fake posh accent and above everyone else attitude just doesn't make any sense, at all. 

What happens to normal people that disconnects them from REAL people and makes them support people like Mogg, I'll never know. Very, very unsettling. 

I’d vote for him, in a heartbeat.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Such types have been,involved in politics for all my life...64yrs.funny enough another guy I put on a similar pedestal was Grove,but he's coming out

with some common sense,even the opinions,I slightly disagree with,

Probably the Moggy could turn out to be a purring siamese....

On 25/08/2018 at 23:31, Brizzle Fox said:

Jason Hunter is always worth listening to. The way he skewers that idiot is golden.  Heard him on LBC a while back as well schooling James O'Brien.  He just has a way of explaining the complexities of international trade in such a simple way.

Has offered to debate with Farage on his radio show but funnily enough none of his calls ever get through....

the pudding is being a tad over egged by hunter but the basic point is that if we have a no deal brexit then we are relying on the rest of the world to be nice to us.- quickly. To get a good deal brexit, we are relying on the EU to be nice to us.  My experience of  Eurovision Song Contest voting in respect of foreigners being nice to us doesn’t fill me with much hope! 

so here we are - nearly two years down the line, bumbling towards a no-deal 'not the end of the world - despite what facts / economics / figures say' brexit.

it'll be the easiest trade negotiations we've ever had yet we've got none in place and it's all the EU's fault, lol. 

this thread has died off, I assume because even the most staunch hardcore leavers are finally seeing what a complete and utter disaster this is turning out to be. there's nothing to defend any more. 

sigh.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

so here we are - nearly two years down the line, bumbling towards a no-deal 'not the end of the world - despite what facts / economics / figures say' brexit.

it'll be the easiest trade negotiations we've ever had yet we've got none in place and it's all the EU's fault, lol. 

this thread has died off, I assume because even the most staunch hardcore leavers are finally seeing what a complete and utter disaster this is turning out to be. there's nothing to defend any more. 

sigh.

To be fair to the Brexiteers, none of them voted for a situation like this. Brexit was a bad idea but there is/was no reason that it should turn into the utter disaster that it is threatening to become. 

Most of the current problems can be laid squarely at the door of the current Government. It was Theresa May who set the tone for the negotiations with her meaningless rhetoric: "Brexit means Brexit" "A red, white and blue Brexit". "No deal is better than a bad deal".  It didn't need to be like this.

And, it was May's decision to trigger Article 50 with the UK wholly unprepared for the negotiations that lay ahead. 

This appears to be political ineptitude of the highest magnitude. 

I can only hope that I'm wrong, and that May is simply engaging in some sort of brinkmanship, in which she will bring the whole of British export business to the point of absolute panic, before seeming to sweep in to save the day, and paint herself as the hero who saved Britain. 

Either way, it's utterly shameless from a Prime Minister who was elected to serve all UK citizens, rather than her own political well-being.

Edited by Fox Ulike
  • Like 3

Guest MattP
41 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

sigh.

This thread is always usually fairly quiet when parliament is in recess, only perks up if a big story happens during it, I watched the news for an hour this morning and they didn't mention politics either.

As for Brexit, I'd imagine people are waiting to see the outcome of the final negotiation soon, we've seen Chequers which some find acceptable and some don't, what more is there to discuss that has happened since then? The MP's are on holiday and nothing significant has been leaked for discussion.

Edited by MattP

1 minute ago, MattP said:

This thread is always usually fairly quiet when parliament is in recess, only perks up if a big story happens during it, I watched the news for an hour this morning and they didn't mention politics either.

Is this when you take the opportunity to replenish canned goods for your next 48 hour stint on the politics thread then Matt? lol

2 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

sigh.

Remainers still crying about the result. Democracy made the choice, get over it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattP said:

As for Brexit, I'd imagine people are waiting to see the outcome of the final negotiation soon, we've seen Chequers which some find acceptable and some don't, what more is there to discuss that has happened since then? The MP's are on holiday and nothing significant has been leaked for discussion.

It’s not as much fun here without toddy’s daily guardian propaganda.

• Like 1