Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

30 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

It was two years ago. When are you going to stop celebrating? :D

See the source image

Oh boy....

It may come as a surprise, bit when puel makes a substitute/decision I don't like, I still back the team and want them to win. After the game it might be talked about and discussed, then forgotten and i look forward to the next match.

This is pretty much the same with anything. Work, wife, kids, cars and Brexit.

So far this outlook has served me well and even the bad team decisions I've had on my plate, I've made them work and been successful. 

Brexit will be the same. 

2 minutes ago, simFox said:

Oh boy....

It may come as a surprise, bit when puel makes a substitute/decision I don't like, I still back the team and want them to win. After the game it might be talked about and discussed, then forgotten and i look forward to the next match.

This is pretty much the same with anything. Work, wife, kids, cars and Brexit.

So far this outlook has served me well and even the bad team decisions I've had on my plate, I've made them work and been successful. 

Brexit will be the same. 

Wot?

How will Brexit be the same as your wife?

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

It’s not as much fun here without toddy’s daily guardian propaganda.

Just coz I love you, Strokes:

No-deal Brexit: Plan to maintain medicine supplies 'could cost £2bn'

The health secretary’s plan to set aside six weeks’ worth of vital medicines to avoid supply disruptions in the event of a no-deal Brexit could cost up to £2bn, campaign group Best for Britain warns today.

Matt Hancock wrote to healthcare providers last week, saying the government would set in motion plans to “ensure the UK has an additional six weeks’ supply of medicines in case imports from the EU through certain routes are affected”.

Data collated by thinktank the King’s Fund earlier this year suggested the total drugs bill for the NHS in 2016-17 was £17.4bn.

Best for Britain suggests that could make the cost of the temporary stockpile – which would presumably then be run down over future months – £2bn.

Owen Smith, the former shadow Northern Ireland secretary and a supporter of Best for Britain, said: “I don’t remember anyone warning that Brexit would mean we’d have to stockpile drugs or that this would cost the NHS and taxpayers up to £2bn. Maybe they should have slapped that on the side of the bus.

“Every day it seems as though there is another hidden cost being revealed.”

Hancock’s letter urged local GPs and pharmacists not to hoard medicines themselves, but to rely on the official scheme. It added that the government will also put in place “separate arrangements for the air freight of medicines with short shelf-lives, such as medical radioisotopes”.

It is unclear whether the taxpayer will bear the cost of the stockpiling scheme. A Department of Health spokesman said at this stage the government was only “asking suppliers to provide specific information on their stockpiling programme to gauge how prepared the industry is before we decide the next steps”.

He added: “We have put in place a dedicated team to support suppliers in making arrangements for stockpiling and we will work with companies to develop plans to minimise any additional costs.”

Hancock’s plan was published last week alongside 24 no-deal “technical notices” intended to inform consumers and businesses what would happen if Britain exits the EU next March without a trade deal.

The Brexit secretary, Dominic Raab, will return to Brussels to resume negotiations later this week, and has insisted he expects to reach agreement with the EU27.

But the notices included warnings that British citizens living in EU countries could lose access to payments from their pensions and bank accounts, credit card payments could become more expensive and exporters would immediately face tariffs for goods on sale to the EU.

Theresa May, who is travelling in Africa this week, told journalists a no-deal outcome – which some hardline Brexiters believe would be preferable to her Chequers plan – was “not the end of the world”.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

They voted to hurtle towards the sun without knowing any facts / figures; all for sound bites like 'take back sovereignty, take back control', etc. 

Voting for 'Leave' with little / no information on what that could entail was a reckless vote. 

People who voted remain voted for something they knew, something tangible - maybe not something 'perfect' but something that has served us pretty well, tbh. 

Triggering A50 without having a clue on whether deals were attainable / beneficial was a suicidal move as well. 

I just heard some lady on the radio saying that something like 12% of our laws are made by the EU and we have someone present, helping to draw them up in all instances. 

The loss of sovereignty is a lie that was sold to people to paper over the fact our own government has failed us time and time again.

IF we drop out with no deal people will soon realise just how much certain EU legislation has protected us from our own unhinged, unqualified politicians for years and years.

And finally - if this isn't what leavers / brexiteers voted for then the least they could do is have some humility and admit that this has turned into a total shambles and that it'd be better off written-off and forgotten. Instead you've got people crying 'but our democracy' and 'leave won, deal with it' - because they simply can't bring themselves to admit that it's a mistake, a mistake that they voted for. 

But you've got to remember the huge impact immigration had on people's decision to vote Leave.

It was never really about the economy or money (although admittedly it was spun as such). Taking back control just meant taking back control of our borders.

People voted to Leave the EU because there's a perception that the UK was overloaded with EU nationals.

Since the vote this seems to have been quietly forgotten. 

See the source image

• Like 1

people were wrongly informed that it was the EU that was stopping us from having control over our borders though - when in actual fact we've always had the power to have greater control over our borders - our government chose not to use it. 

I don't think leavers have ever been under the impression that there are too many EU nationals in our country - you'll likely find they're concerned with muslim and african migrants - again, something the EU has no influence over. 

our government fails to control immigration using the powers available - rather than admit blame, blame it on the EU - convince everyone the EU is the bad guy. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

people were wrongly informed that it was the EU that was stopping us from having control over our borders though - when in actual fact we've always had the power to have greater control over our borders - our government chose not to use it. 

I don't think leavers have ever been under the impression that there are too many EU nationals in our country - you'll likely find they're concerned with muslim and african migrants - again, something the EU has no influence over. 

our government fails to control immigration using the powers available - rather than admit blame, blame it on the EU - convince everyone the EU is the bad guy. 

You're making a lot of assumptions about what people believe, but anyway, the highlighted bit ignores the total incompetence of the EU during the migration crisis and then Merkel's open invitation to anyone and everyone, and the implications that had for the rest of Europe.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

This is interesting in seeing why people voted the way they did:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

33% of Leave voters said their main reason for voting leave was immigration, but only 6% did so because of trade and the economy.

My point is that nowadays you'd think that almost everybody voted Leave to get us out of the Customs Union - which is clearly untrue!

3 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

My point is that nowadays you'd think that almost everybody voted Leave to get us out of the Customs Union - which is clearly untrue!

Sure thing dude - because since the referendum Leave voters have constantly had to change / alter their reason for voting leave as all of their initial reasons have been disproven, shown to be wrong or the benefits they thought there would be from leaving just aren't going to materialise. That's what I'm saying - people have changed their stories again and again - immigration, then fishing, then apples from Africa, bla bla bla. As each 'benefit' has failed to materialise the story changes - instead of a just admitting that they've been lied to and made a mistake and that perhaps we should put the brakes on the whole sorry mess until someone can actually show something that proves it to be beneficial; they keep banging heads against brick walls shouting about democracy and winning, etc. 

As I've said before - there's no shame in admitting you were duped, fooled, naive - wrong. It's better to back-track now while there is an opportunity to do so than to be sat in front of your grand-kids explaining why this country went down the toilet and you didn't do anything to stop it because your ego wouldn't allow you to admit you made a bad choice. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Sure thing dude - because since the referendum Remain voters have constantly had to change / alter their reason for voting remain as all of their initial reasons have been disproven, shown to be wrong or the benefits they thought there would be from Remaining just aren't going to materialise. That's what I'm saying - people have changed their stories again and again - immigration, then fishing, then apples from Africa, bla bla bla. As each 'benefit' has failed to materialise the story changes - instead of a just admitting that they've been lied to and made a mistake and that perhaps we should put the brakes on the whole sorry mess until someone can actually show something that proves it to be beneficial; they keep banging heads against brick walls shouting about democracy and winning, etc. 

As I've said before - there's no shame in admitting you were duped, fooled, naive - wrong. It's better to back-track now while there is an opportunity to do so than to be sat in front of your grand-kids explaining why this country went down the toilet and you didn't do anything to stop it because your ego wouldn't allow you to admit you made a bad choice. 

Fixed

:thumbup:

Edited by Milo
  • Like 1

Guest Markyblue
4 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

They voted to hurtle towards the sun without knowing any facts / figures; all for sound bites like 'take back sovereignty, take back control', etc. 

Voting for 'Leave' with little / no information on what that could entail was a reckless vote. 

People who voted remain voted for something they knew, something tangible - maybe not something 'perfect' but something that has served us pretty well, tbh. 

Triggering A50 without having a clue on whether deals were attainable / beneficial was a suicidal move as well. 

I just heard some lady on the radio saying that something like 12% of our laws are made by the EU and we have someone present, helping to draw them up in all instances. 

The loss of sovereignty is a lie that was sold to people to paper over the fact our own government has failed us time and time again.

IF we drop out with no deal people will soon realise just how much certain EU legislation has protected us from our own unhinged, unqualified politicians for years and years.

And finally - if this isn't what leavers / brexiteers voted for then the least they could do is have some humility and admit that this has turned into a total shambles and that it'd be better off written-off and forgotten. Instead you've got people crying 'but our democracy' and 'leave won, deal with it' - because they simply can't bring themselves to admit that it's a mistake, a mistake that they voted for. 

Hahaha keep convincing yourself of that. Not met one person who voted for brexit who regrets it. In your strange anti democratic world you can moan and moan, convincing yourself that really everyone really wants to stay .wake up,grow up and move on were leaving. 

Just now, Markyblue said:

Hahaha keep convincing yourself of that. Not met one person who voted for brexit who regrets it. In your strange anti democratic world you can moan and moan, convincing yourself that really everyone really wants to stay .wake up,grow up and move on were leaving. 

lol

17 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

But people don’t feel that they were duped or naïve.

They voted so that EU nationals wouldn’t be able to get on a plane, arrive here and set up home without any questions being asked.

People believe that this is now going to happen and so Leavers are going to get what they voted for. So no-one feels duped. Whether this will actually have an impact on immigration is debatable. But because people who voted Leave were (statistically) less educated, it’s clear that a lot of them haven’t thought any further than “Winning Brexit.”  

Brexit = less foreigners. End of story. “We won!”.

I do understand where you’re coming from though. Because for the last two years very few people have actually been prepared to admit why they voted – possibly for fear of being branded racist. Personally I think this is unfair as it is legitimate to want to restrict the number of people who can just turn up in your country. But I digress.

Brexit has been twisted into an argument about the Customs Union. Something which only 6% of Leavers (and therefore only 3% of the electorate) regarded as the key issue.

I think this is where the problem with Brexit comes in. We’re leaving the Single Market even though only 3% of the electorate regarded this as the key reason for Brexit.

Guest MattP

Squeaky bum time, don't think they aren't getting nervous on the continent as well, a bad deal is also the last thing they need with the Italian and Greek debt and investment into Turkey from Germany that's gong to be needed to prop up the Lira in a trade war.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/make-a-deal-with-britain-macron-tells-eu-leaders-vtsxnv2tj

Emmanuel Macron tells EU leaders to make a deal with Britain

Brexit boost as French president calls for alliance

President Macron is preparing to throw Theresa May a lifeline by pushing other EU leaders to agree a close relationship with Britain after Brexit as part of his vision for a united Europe.

The French leader wants to use a summit in Austria next month to spell out a new structure for European alliances. It would be based on “concentric circles”, with the EU and the euro at its core and Britain in a second ring, diplomatic sources have told The Times.

That would depend on an amicable Brexit, however. Mr Macron’s decision to promote his vision at Salzburg suggests he is softening opposition to the prime minister’s Chequers proposals.

The sense of optimism was boosted yesterday when Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, offered Britain an unprecedented trade deal that would keep ties “as close as possible”. His comments sent sterling to a three-week high against the dollar.

On Monday Mr Macron said that any Brexit deal should not threaten the EU’s integrity. However, diplomats said yesterday that he was concerned a “no deal” departure would shatter European ties just as they were needed most.

Giant Sadiq Khan bikini-clad balloon to fly over London

Sadiq Khan balloonImage copyrightYANNY BRUERE Image captionAn anti-Khan campaign was launched in response to the 'baby Trump' balloon flown last month

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 14:19, Fox Ulike said:

Wot?

How will Brexit be the same as your wife?

Almost impossible to get rid of without costing a fcuking fortune.

Wives in general by the way, and obviously only those who you want to get rid of. 

I'll get my coat!

• Haha 1