Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tony1784

Troy Deeney

I think Deeney would be a good signing.  Good attitude, actually seems a smart player (he gave one of the best summaries of the factors behind our success I have seen from player, pundit or fan), seemingly has a fondness for us and has come off the back of a bad season ready to prove the critics wrong.  Seems odd people would have any issue apart from the price/age which I do understand but the market seems mad.  If we take price out of it he seems a good fit, especially for all those “we need proven Premiership players, leaders and I fink we need some British players ‘n’ that” people.

Along with Maguire and Iborra, IF we sign Deeney that’s three captains coming into the club, two at their peak (admittedly heading towards decline but still with a few years left) and the other with 10 years potential at the top level left.  Couple this with the youngsters we have signed (and the fact that, so far, the prices have been very reasonable) and I cannot fathom why people are negative about this summer.

I genuinely don’t think we need wholesale changes because, as someone else pointed out, we finished mid table whilst only playing at our best for a few months and don’t have Europe this season.  We also have a number of promising youngsters and still seem to have a fairly good ethic/attitude amongst the squad.  The only thing we really could do with is a genuinely creative, top class player (Siggy) and maybe one or two players like Maguire who have experience, can go straight in the team but also have youth.  I understand that people want us to push on and not be happy with mid-table and I agree but we also need to have humility, patience and understand that what happened to us was a freak and that it is very difficult to compete at the very top.  It can take years/decades to create a name, or a “brand”.  All this moaning is mad, we have no idea who or when we might sign anyone and so far we have done OK.  I hate all the “we are bigger than X” and “why would a player go to y instead of us” as it makes us look classless.

I reckon we will be OK.

Up the Foxes.

X

Deeney is hardly prolific and for 20 million we can bring in a better player imo, why not go for Hernandez? His pace and finishing would be lethal, him and Vardy upfront would be a nightmare for any team? We got to think outside the box.

19 minutes ago, Bert said:

It's not the transfer fee there's other underlying issues to the Ihenahco transfer. 

Interestingly, if we're baulking over the buyback fee being only a few million more than what we pay for him then I wonder if we'd rather have Deeney and get little resale value on him so lose best part of £20 million plus wages or get our money back on Iheanacho? I know one's a glorified loan but I know which I'd rather get over the line.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Interestingly, if we're baulking over the buyback fee being only a few million more than what we pay for him then I wonder if we'd rather have Deeney and get little resale value on him so lose best part of £20 million plus wages or get our money back on Iheanacho? I know one's a glorified loan but I know which I'd rather get over the line.

Exactly this.

If Deeney doesn't get in the team right away and pulls the disinterested stunt he's done this season we are screwed. £20 million in transfer fees and then probably upto 100k a week in wages. Nobody will ever come close to matching either and we'll be stuck with him.

Transfers like this and the Iborra one have the potential to lead us to financial ruin - Especially if we are relegated. We can't have so many players over 30 with no resale value all on wages of above £70,000 a week - it just doesn't make any sense.

30 minutes ago, Bert said:

Do the people moaning about signing Deeney because of his age and saying hay we have Okazaki realise Shinji is 2 years older than Deeney? Get him in. 

Some of us dont really want both of them.

20 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

want none of this fat overweight crook, these kind of deals are so depressing. We're gonna be the new stoke at this rate 

Granted he's overpriced, but you do realise that 9 times out of 10 we just launch the ball forward from defence to start attacks and need someone strong capable of holding the ball up.  Who is there better than Deeney for that?

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I want Deeney and Vardy up top simply to have the scummiest strike partnership the PL has ever seen. 

Imagine the hate from the football purest brigade lol 

Claridge and Marshall might have something to say about that.

Even assuming we have made a bid (story originated from Mirror whose journalists were well off the mark with Leicester stories last season) I can't see this happening for the following reasons:

• No indication Deeney is wanting to leave.He signed a 5 year contract at start of last season. Assuming he recovers his form - which seemed to drop after he clearly fell out with manager - he is guaranteed a regular start, and the adoration of Watford fans 
  • As Watford rejected higher bids a year ago, I can't see them accepting any now. They would need to find  a replacement - they scored very few goals when Deeney wasn't playing.Furthermore, Watford would only have 75% of any fee because of sell-on clause
  • I think he would prefer to start every week - which is unlikely to  happen at Leicester (unless Slim is offloaded)..

1 minute ago, oxford blue said:

Even assuming we have made a bid (story originated from Mirror whose journalists were well off the mark with Leicester stories last season) I can't see this happening for the following reasons:

• No indication Deeney is wanting to leave.He signed a 5 year contract at start of last season. Assuming he recovers his form - which seemed to drop after he clearly fell out with manager - he is guaranteed a regular start, and the adoration of Watford fans 
  • As Watford rejected higher bids a year ago, I can't see them accepting any now. They would need to find  a replacement - they scored very few goals when Deeney wasn't playing.Furthermore, Watford would only have 75% of any fee because of sell-on clause
  • I think he would prefer to start every week - which is unlikely to  happen at Leicester (unless Slim is offloaded)..

Oh ...and it would suggest we are mad

If the level of signings is now at the Deeny benchmark then we are indeed on the slide back to where we came from. He would be a backward signing and it smacks of mid table mindset . Ok we missed our golden chance last season with p*ss poor signings but so far I've seen nothing in the likes of Maguire or potentially Deeny that is going to move us forward in any way shape or form. Depressing to think this is all we can aspire too. 

14 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

If the level of signings is now at the Deeny benchmark then we are indeed on the slide back to where we came from. He would be a backward signing and it smacks of mid table mindset . Ok we missed our golden chance last season with p*ss poor signings but so far I've seen nothing in the likes of Maguire or potentially Deeny that is going to move us forward in any way shape or form. Depressing to think this is all we can aspire too. 

Reality check!!... 

What do you think we can offer the likes of Sigurdsson,  Silva and iheanacho then? 

2 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Reality check!!... 

What do you think we can offer the likes of Sigurdsson,  Silva and iheanacho then? 

Erm money ? in case you missed it that's all football is about nowadays. Do you think Casper , Vardy and the others on top whack would have stayed with us otherwise ?  Now who needs a reality check ?

1 minute ago, Bunyip said:

Erm money ? in case you missed it that's all football is about nowadays. Do you think Casper , Vardy and the others on top whack would have stayed with us otherwise ?  Now who needs a reality check ?

All PL clubs have money! 

I wasn't talking about financial rewards. 

Archived