Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Iborra Signs

Seem to recall we were overpowered in midield last season, probably because we only really had 2 there ..Ndidi & Drinkwater (and Okazaki dropping back occasionally) and we never seemed to win any  headers there. Hopefully Iborra can help us out.

We also struggled defending corners (Old Trafford etc)..only felt confident we could when Ulloa was the pitch !   Iborra should help us out in this dept too

Just catching up on today's game v Baggies. Iborra actually looks like the player that Thrac has spent years telling us that Andy King is !! ??. Quality addition. I think DD and WN'D need to up their game if they want to keep the shirts. 

11 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Just catching up on today's game v Baggies. Iborra actually looks like the player that Thrac has spent years telling us that Andy King is !! ??. Quality addition. I think DD and WN'D need to up their game if they want to keep the shirts. 

I think you've nailed why we've signed Iborra:

- Adds competition to the first team which will improve Ndidi and DD.

- Provides an additional option. We could play all 3 as an alternative option, or to close out games.

- Has the natural leadership quality that will bolster our team and squad. Our team is mentally strong, but you could argue that our Central Midfielders lack that attribute.

- He will improve our players with his experience and class. Ndidi still has so much raw potential that Iborra can help develop.

- Is versatile, physically imposing and a team player.

The biggest question is if he can get up to the speed of the Premier League? If he can, our scouting team may have found another gem. I'm watching him with a lot of interest. 

Noticed when he came on he was one of the few players that won a 50/50 in our favour. First half don't think we won a 50/50 tackle!

This guy won't pull up any trees but I think he's a very very shrewd signing, was always available for the ball which I like and as previously stated, is strong physically.

Great option to have on the bench- assuming he doesn't start...(?)

• 2 weeks later...

I think we might have the same problem with Iborra as we did with Inler.  You need so many elements to your game to play in the Premier League.  There are only 4 or 5 competitive teams in the La Liga, you can coast through the majority of fixtures if you play for a top team.  Playing in England is different...You have to be 'at it' every game, from the first to the last whistle.  The Premier League is so intense...You need to think fast, have pace, strength,  extreme fitness, flexibility.  I'll be surprised if Iborra adapts from what I have seen of him.

10 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

I think we might have the same problem with Iborra as we did with Inler.  You need so many elements to your game to play in the Premier League.  There are only 4 or 5 competitive teams in the La Liga, you can coast through the majority of fixtures if you play for a top team.  Playing in England is different...You have to be 'at it' every game, from the first to the last whistle.  The Premier League is so intense...You need to think fast, have pace, strength,  extreme fitness, flexibility.  I'll be surprised if Iborra adapts from what I have seen of him.

Looked miles better than King and James in pre season, and Drinky has hardly looked better. 

Probably says more more about our CM options though rather than his ability.

14 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Looked miles better than King and James in pre season, and Drinky has hardly looked better. 

Except James was far more effective, positive and influential on the game than him tonight. 

18 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I thought he looked ok today... competitive  and tidy on the ball.... a couple of nice passes

ill reserve judgement until the PL starts

Agreed. Let's not base it on a Tuesday night friendly. Give him a game or two to see what he can do.

25 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Not a chance he's looked better than

James. Sorry, but he's not been close for me.

1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

Except James was far more effective, positive and influential on the game than him tonight. 

58 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not a chance he's looked better than

James. Sorry, but he's not been close for me.

Have to disagree chaps.

I like James but he just doesn't have the quality on or off the ball n a 2 man PL midfield. We've been crying out for a player like Iborra for years. We have a terrible habit of inviting pressure when we're under the cosh which leads to an inevitable goal, Iborra is the only player capable of putting his foot on the ball and speeding up or slowing down the game. He'll prove to be a shrewd signing

1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

Have to disagree chaps.

I like James but he just doesn't have the quality on or off the ball n a 2 man PL midfield. We've been crying out for a player like Iborra for years. We have a terrible habit of inviting pressure when we're under the cosh which leads to an inevitable goal, Iborra is the only player capable of putting his foot on the ball and speeding up or slowing down the game. He'll prove to be a shrewd signing

You might be right about Iborra, I don't know much about him but he didn't show it today and was outshone by James in midfield. I also don't agree with your negative assessment of James. His quality on the ball is one of his strengths and he demonstrated with cambiasso that he can be successful in a 2 man PL midfield. 

57 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

You might be right about Iborra, I don't know much about him but he didn't show it today and was outshone by James in midfield. I also don't agree with your negative assessment of James. His quality on the ball is one of his strengths and he demonstrated with cambiasso that he can be successful in a 2 man PL midfield. 

Compare James to other centre mids from teams in similar positions to us, he's bang average. 

If Matty James played for Stoke or Burnley and got linked with us we'd all be moaning and massively underwhelmed. 

Yes I know people will use the 'you could say the same argument about Morgan Vardy Simpson etc' but let's be fair Matty James is nothing more than a useful squad player. I really really hope he grabs the season by the scruff of the neck because I think he had carved a niche for himself here but atm he still looks slightly overweight! 

5 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Have to disagree chaps.

Iborra isn't playing in a two man midfield, he's too slow. He's hasn't got the mobility to be box to box. We need two mobile players for it to work.

James has been excellent with the ball so far and been very good compared to everyone else at linking midfield and attack. He's created numerous chances and supported attacks, he's kept possession well and shown some great skill to boot.

From what I've seen Iborra is no more than a Mendy type of player. Gets the ball and just takes the easy option.

Couple of nice passes yesterday, but the rest of the time he did nothing Mendy couldn't do and he gets slated.

Baffled.

4 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Compare James to other centre mids from teams in similar positions to us, he's bang average. 

If Matty James played for Stoke or Burnley and got linked with us we'd all be moaning and massively underwhelmed. 

Yes I know people will use the 'you could say the same argument about Morgan Vardy Simpson etc' but let's be fair Matty James is nothing more than a useful squad player. I really really hope he grabs the season by the scruff of the neck because I think he had carved a niche for himself here but atm he still looks slightly overweight! 

If we'd been linked with him and Iborra and they both played for Burnley I'd be far happier buying him than Iborra so far on showings in pre season without any question.

You seem to be seduced by his name and where he came from. I don't care if it's Burnley or Barcelona, it's how they play that matters and so far he's about 4th choice in my eyes.

2 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

Bloody hell, Iborra, you certainly don't like it on a warm Tuesday night in Burton. Fook off back to Spain where you only have to be any good 4 games a season. :ph34r:

Iborra was ok, I praised him in the match thread several times... but I praised James far more. I just watch the game and call what I see, so far James has impressed me more as he's offered more at both ends of the pitch.

Iborra will have his uses, trying to strangle games or see games out. I can't see how his style fits into our usual 442, so I can't see him starting unless we change that.

Archived