Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

George Hirst

4 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

No other Premier League teams were interested otherwise he would be at one now.

7m is cheap for a Premier League club, even a player from the Championship, and it seems nobody thought he was good enough.

I don't think any player we've let go to the Championship has proved us wrong yet - even Knocky has it all to prove this season.

Imagine you're an aspiring football and you read what Lawrence had to say. Would it really inspire you to join us when a player speaks of no-one seeming to give a toss about his having a hand in 22 goals in a season?

It could be that our club is right and that Lawrence isn't good enough for The Premiership.

But to me it's a bad advert for our supposed commitment to developing young players properly.       

13 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Imagine you're an aspiring football and you read what Lawrence had to say. Would it really inspire you to join us when a player speaks of no-one seeming to give a toss about his having a hand in 22 goals in a season?

It could be that our club is right and that Lawrence isn't good enough for The Premiership.

But to me it's a bad advert for our supposed commitment to developing young players properly.       

We've got four 20 year olds who will be regularly used in the matchday 14 (2 of which likely to be starters most weeks)

We're not perfect but i don't think we are a bad advert - not many premier league clubs can say that.

There is an element of needing to be good enough and we're not the only club that has decided that he probably isn't

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-owls-poised-to-turn-down-second-leicester-city-offer-for-george-hirst-1-8706024

Not surprised by this. The offer sounds derisory to the point of being insulting. 

Do we want the guy or not and, if so, make a proper offer with proper safeguards for Wednesday if and when he progresses.  

2 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

We've got four 20 year olds who will be regularly used in the matchday 14 (2 of which likely to be starters most weeks)

We're not perfect but i don't think we are a bad advert - not many premier league clubs can say that.

There is an element of needing to be good enough and we're not the only club that has decided that he probably isn't

The last line's a condemnation it itself but even if we've decided to let a player go we can still take the time and trouble to keep encouraging his progress. If Lawrence is to be believed, we didn't bother.    

42 minutes ago, Thracian said:

You've rarely seemed keen on young players and we've signed some pretty awful older guys too over the years who hardly reflected the judgemental genius of our managers at the time. I wonder how many managers/coaches and scouts looked at Vardy and decided he wasn't good enough - and a good many more who broke through a bit later than most.

Why would I not be keen on young players, I would love nothing more than the team to be full of top quality young players coming through our own ranks.

What I'm sick to death of is being told x, y and z should get a chance because they are the next big thing. They should only get a chance if they are earning it by showing themselves good enough in training and in reserve games. The kids I watched the other day on the stream were dross, one game I know but there are one or two in that team that people have called to start at one time or another. 

That vast majority just haven't been good enough it's as simple as that. I could write a list of people who I've been told are good enough and most are in league two or Scotland now.

5 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Yeah I read it, and it says nothing about or or indicates nothing about us. Sounds like he wants game time guaranteed.

It was only last season he looked remotely good enough to even stand a chance of making it here. How many were calling for him to get game time last summer? None.

He's come back from his loan and by the sounds of it asked to go some time ago, so he's not even given CS or the club the chance this season.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Yeah I read it, and it says nothing about or or indicates nothing about us. Sounds like he wants game time guaranteed.

It was only last season he looked remotely good enough to even stand a chance of making it here. How many were calling for him to get game time last summer? None.

He's come back from his loan and by the sounds of it asked to go some time ago, so he's not even given CS or the club the chance this season.

You may be right but it seems to me he came back and got no encouragement from Leicester on the one hand but plenty from Derby on the other. The interest in Lawrence clearly grew from his contribution at Ipswich where at least he made some impact while the more self promoting Gray continued to disappoint and get the hint of increased game time. 

I'm not in any way making a case for Lawrence although he seemed to present a slightly stronger case than Gray for involvement from what I saw in pre-season. My concern is that capable young players seem to be becoming increasingly disappointed with their prospects at Leicester and it needs to stop.

We need coaching and back up that shows success is both possible and deserving and we also need graduates to feel that time spent here was worthwhile and that the staff were doing everything possible to further all their ends and ambition.

Like any educational establishment it should value its reputation and having so few graduates reaching first team level is hardly going to help.             

3 hours ago, Thracian said:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-owls-poised-to-turn-down-second-leicester-city-offer-for-george-hirst-1-8706024

Not surprised by this. The offer sounds derisory to the point of being insulting. 

Do we want the guy or not and, if so, make a proper offer with proper safeguards for Wednesday if and when he progresses.  

Looks like we are doing a Roma.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Why would I not be keen on young players, I would love nothing more than the team to be full of top quality young players coming through our own ranks.

What I'm sick to death of is being told x, y and z should get a chance because they are the next big thing. They should only get a chance if they are earning it by showing themselves good enough in training and in reserve games. The kids I watched the other day on the stream were dross, one game I know but there are one or two in that team that people have called to start at one time or another. 

That vast majority just haven't been good enough it's as simple as that. I could write a list of people who I've been told are good enough and most are in league two or Scotland now.

We certainly seem to agree about the Under23s but I was left wondering whether they are all as bad/indifferent  as they looked or whether the coaching set up needs to be more inspirational and our approach more believing. 

That's not specifically aimed at Beaglehole because I've seem him oversee attacking sides but "nil" and not much else from a team of aspiring youngsters was not just forgettable but would quickly empty the grounds if ever presented as first team or even paying entertainment.

And was the approach even successful? No. We lost at home and hardly had a shot worth mentioning apart from one close range header which summed up the mediocrity of our performance in a creative sense.     

3 hours ago, Thracian said:

Absolutely agree with this. He was our player, what about welfare issues as well as keeping an eye on a business asset. Hardly makes you feel part of a club. For his own best interests it was best for him to go and I wish him the best of luck. One day if he succeeds he might get to play for a big club. ?

3 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

We're obliged to have eight "home grown" players in a squad and can supplement with under 21s so there are almost bound to be some Academy or ex-Academy prospects but I'm not convinced we have any who will play a significant part next season or would likely help maintain our impetus if they do. i sincerely hope to be proved wrong. Chilwell offers the best hope but good luck to them all.      

Buy him for £2M, loan him out for a couple of seasons, sell him for £14M, what's not to like! Seriously though do we really need to be buying up all these kids and then sticking them in the development squad where they are unlikely to be seen again. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Exclusive" from The Mirror....

Leicester have made a £2million bid for Sheffield Wednesday teenager George Hirst

Leeds are also keen on the England under-20s starlet who is regarded as one of the most promising youngsters in the country.

Leicester have made a £2million bid for Sheffield Wednesday teenager George Hirst.

Leeds are also keen on the England under-20s starlet who is regarded as one of the most promising youngsters in the country.

Both clubs are trying to push through a deal before the transfer deadline with Wednesday left with a dilemma over whether to cash in.

Hirst, 18, son of Wednesday legend David, has been offered a new contract at Hillsborough but has not signed because he fears his pathway is blocked by a glut of strikers at the club.

England youngster Hirst could go for a small compensation fee next summer and Wednesday would be left counting the cost of not doing a deal now.

Hirst was desperate to follow in his dad’s footsteps and chose Wednesday ahead of a host of other clubs.

But, despite his impressive displays for England, he has been limited to a couple of substitute appearances at Wednesday.

Leicester had a £1m bid turned down already but have come back and want to push through a deal with Leeds also involved.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-made-2million-bid-sheffield-11080973

20 minutes ago, Adster said:

"Exclusive" from The Mirror....

Leicester have made a £2million bid for Sheffield Wednesday teenager George Hirst

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-made-2million-bid-sheffield-11080973

What's the point? He'll make a few sub appearances for us... go on loan to the championship, have a storming season, come back to us... only to get cast aside again and sign for Derby.

Archived