Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

LCFC @ Luton Town (Friendly) - Match Thread

2 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Team is crying out for a bit of creativity. After Albrighton, Maguire was about the most creative in that first half. I think we should sell Ulloa or Okazaki just to avoid the possibility of them ever playing together again lol 

Apart from that, nice to win and good stream. Are they doing one for every friendly?

Agreed, without Mahrez, we look toothless

Just now, Harry96 said:

Slimani actually looks a lot more mobile and trim than he has done before imo. Could be just the long sleeve shirt he had on maybe :S 

No he's actually very mobile and quite fast for a big guy. Always was. But since most of his play (runs, etc.) is when he doesn't have the ball, pepole don't pay attention.

Don't really get any big criticism tonight, People always read too much into these games, just have a look back at some previous pre seasons as there's been some terrible games.

Main observations were as follows

Albrighton is so much better going forward on the right

Maguire looks quality

Slimani is better than ulloa

Okazaki needs to become more bit part and replaced with iheanacho

King was Very good tonight when he came on

We need to get Gray back for extra creativity

4 minutes ago, the fox said:

mahrez looked half asleep, not really bothered and didn't even want to dribble anyone but still looked the best and most creative player. so, anyone got a suggestion to how can we replace him .

yep. we are ****ed without Riyad

Wow, Darnell Johnson has some size on him, played terrific, saved a tying goal around the 86 min mark, made several quality tackles, showed himself a tidy passer at RB, I expect Shakey would like to see him against a Prem League B-side after that short but quality performance. Only 18? An able lad to be sure, showed very good decision-making I thought, decisive and cool with or without the ball, more please. 

Thought Lawrence showed good energy in spurts, but he deferred to Mahrez too much for me to get a good sense of him. In the brief times I've seen him, it seems obvious he has the creativity sorely lacking on the squad in MF, think we need to see him without Mahrez next to him so he can play his game.

Slimani was easily our best forward today, he came in with energy in that second half, was physical and pestering early, missed a neat little back heel that might’ve been an assist. Had some very tidy passes, but more than that, racing around with some quickness, jumping passes, looks healthier than I have seen him at Leicester. Groin strains are a nightmare to heal, another tidy pass at the 58 minute mark to Okazaki created a corner. Made a terrific run to be 1-on-1 with the keeper, who just got a hand on it to deny him, but then Slim's pass to Musa was the reason we scored, lovely bit of touch and vision there, our best forward by a mile today. If I have one complaint about Slim, he needs to do a better job pacing himself, he comes in like a bear on fire chasing like Okazaki does, but I'd like to see him do that a bit more selectively. Of course, I imagine he's doing that bc it's his damn job per Shakey, but still, would like to see him cut that back a bit, keep some more in the tank for his runs. 

Not a good game in terms of finishing, but if it were a game or two later in the preseason, might've been 3-0 or 4-0, so no worries there I think.. 

2 minutes ago, steveherbe said:

And I'm paying £120 to renew 2 memberships tomorrow to watch THAT!  No wonder MrsH thinks I've gone senile. Thought Vardy looked sharp again.

were you using google explorer, because vardy didn't play. don't tell me it's the game vs WBA

More than happy to start the Arsenal game with

Kasper

Simpson Wes Maguire Fuchs

Mahrez Iborra Ndidi Albrighton

Iheanacho Vardy

However i'd like us to look at a ball playing midfield player who can dictate the play higher up the pitch. A Santi Cazorla type to help break down the sides that sit in deep against us.

Drinkwater pants again... all of last season it was 'he's carrying an injury'... Tonight, it's 'pre-season'... He can't keep spraying balls out of play and having little to no effect on games, the competition in CM is much stronger than it has been before. He might get away with his tenacity and work rate only in a 3, where we would hopefully have a more creative player next to him, but him and N'Didi offer me little hope in a 2.

Iborra showed great composure and positioning, but again, he isn't a creator as such. James similar to Drinkwater, hard working etc. but like a lot of people have been saying, without Riyad... its a bit s*** (putting it bluntly)

Slim and Musa really lack confidence, shame as they show glimpses of how good they can be. Ulloa though... why are we renewing his contract, he should be gone if Iheanacho turns up.

Other than that, it was ok...

Apologies for the optimism, but I think we'll do fine without Mahrez. Could've had a few goals before he entered the game today, but Ulloa and Shinji were our forwards, so there you go.

When Mahrez is in, other players defer to him because he does have real quality on the ball, so we don't completely see what other players can do (in this game, Tom Lawrence was the obvious player whose aggression was majorly tempered by his deference to Mahrez). But the team had loads of chances to score without Mahrez, and even the goal we got had everything to do with Slim's vision with the ball, not Riyad. As a team, I think Leicester has become too dependent on Riyad to make things happen, but when he goes, we'll see more Gray, more Albrighton crosses, Nacho playing as an AM, and we'll see more of Drinkwater coming forward. Yeah, none of those players have precisely what Riyad has. But the attack will have better balance, and Ruddy is still sniffing around for another CAM.

Mahrez is obviously a terrific player, but the team will have a better attack this season than last, assuming Slim stays healthy and Nacho comes through. Saw a lot of positives today, especially the young FBs. 

40 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Lolllllllllllll

Based on price tag alone Schlupp and Musa are about equivalent. It's only due to initial expectation and an initial jump in how much we pay for players that puts Musa in such a poor light amoung many.

Archived