Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonny_wright

Andros Townsend...

15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Most wingers are the same at our level, yeah his shooting can be a bit off but I think people are being incredibly harsh on the bloke.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 08.32.04.png

Interesting reading. Would suggest that if we are replacing Gray or Musa we could have two hard-working wingers in Albrighton and Townsend.

Wouldn't see him as a replacement for Mahrez though.

Stats tell an interesting story. Palace fans like him. Lots of people make judgments about him based on some MOTD clips and a wayward shots. I've got mates who think DD can't pass because of one wayward pass when he came on for England. 

43 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He's four years older, Townsend has only just turned 26.

Like all wingers he's inconsistent, but his stats aren't too shabby. Watching him at Newcastle and for England I thought he looked decent.

How much would we ask if someone wanted Gray or Albrighton? Realistically you are looking at the £25m mark +

Townsend stats arent to shabby? 

Premier league stats alone is averages a goal every 9.5 games and assists every 13. That isnt good enough. He is massively overhyped.

My problem with Townsend is, he will never ever ever be good enough to replace Riyad Mahrez and that's what he'll be compared with. The same as Nampalys Mendy couldn't replace Kante. Townsend is an above average PL player who blows hot and cold and is probably ahead of Gray in terms of end product but he cannot conduct play like our Riyad can and with no other creative spark in our midfield it would be a distaster. Now if Gray were to leave and Mahrez stayed, albeit it only short term then I could see a place in the squad for Townsend as he could rotate with Albrighton. It will take someone like Thorgan Hazard, Ziyech or Jonathan Viera to come in and have an impact like Mahrez does, we need a wide player who is also a playmaker.

6 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Premier league stats alone is averages a goal every 9.5 games and assists every 13. That isnt good enough. He is massively overhyped.

That's better than Albrighton tbf and people here love Albrighton. Townsend will never be as good as Mahrez if that's what we are after but in terms of output he is not worse than Gray or Albrighton.

We all agree the fee being quoted is way too much. But as @Babylon said if we sold Gray tomorrow he would go for £25-30m.

I watched an extended highlights of Palace Swansea last night and was impressed with his link up play , shooting , beating his man etc , he looked sharp and we are getting a bit big time Charlie if we don't think Townsend can improve us.

Also in their system he didn't seem to be a winger in our rigid 4-4-2 sense of the word ( a system that now cramps Mahrez at times?) and looked almost like the number 10 that we are looking for? He wore that number too coincidently but seemed far more central and dangerous on Saturday and looked their best player.

I'm not convinced this is a replacement for Mahrez. If anything it's a replacement for Schlupp, who by all accounts wasn't someone Shakespeare wanted to leave.

If you take Musa out of the equation, as I think he'll go and I don't think he's a winger, we only have three wingers and only one of them is left footed. It makes perfect sense to sign another left footed winger.

If Mahrez leaves before Thursday I think you'll see a more creative, technically gifted replacement in January.

3 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I'm not convinced this is a replacement for Mahrez. If anything it's a replacement for Schlupp, who by all accounts wasn't someone Shakespeare wanted to leave.

If you take Musa out of the equation, as I think he'll go and I don't think he's a winger, we only have three wingers and only one of them is left footed. It makes perfect sense to sign another left footed winger.

If Mahrez leaves before Thursday I think you'll see a more creative, technically gifted replacement in January.

January will be too late to have any hope of top ten by then I would think.

Fans are gonna be a bit put out losing Drinks and Mahrez and buying another CB and Andros Townsend methinks.

28 minutes ago, Ashley said:

So what do you make of Albrighton and Gray then considering his time at Newcastle and Palace he seems to be outperforming what we got from them last year? That's a season and a half that he's been performing at a decent level. With good defensive and attacking stats.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 09.21.40.png

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

So what do you make of Albrighton and Gray then considering his time at Newcastle and Palace he seems to be outperforming what we got from them last year? That's a season and a half that he's been performing at a decent level. With good defensive and attacking stats.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 09.21.40.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 09.21.31.png

If you're going to compare the three atleast use the same Season?

Stats like that are pointless. It also depends on team mates. If our forwards have better movement than Palace's then he's going to play more "key passes" or "chances created" than those stats suggest. It's difficult comparing stuff like that when players are at different clubs. All we need to know is goals and assists, the rest seems irrelevant. 

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You probably need to scroll up the page to the post where I did that already.

Okay, more or less Albrighton in that Season. The bloke has had 12(i think) clubs in 7 years. Why is that? We could do better

11 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Okay, more or less Albrighton in that Season. The bloke has had 12(i think) clubs in 7 years. Why is that? We could do better

3 permanent clubs, one of which got relegated and someone activated his release clause.

You can't blame a player for his parent club loaning him out, they were half season loans slowly moving up the leagues and proving himself at different levels. 

Its like slating Barnes for having 3 clubs at the age of 18.

I don't mind having Townsend if we paid a similar price to what Newcastle and Palace did for him.

My biggest gripe is the fee is far too big on an average PL player who won't move beyond that level. This is horrible business when you buy a player who is almost certainly at his peak value. If Mahrez goes I'd much rather give Gray his opportunity and rely on Musa and Chilwell as our back up wide players than sign Townsend for the fee being quoted.

27 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I don't mind having Townsend if we paid a similar price to what Newcastle and Palace did for him.

My biggest gripe is the fee is far too big on an average PL player who won't move beyond that level. This is horrible business when you buy a player who is almost certainly at his peak value. If Mahrez goes I'd much rather give Gray his opportunity and rely on Musa and Chilwell as our back up wide players than sign Townsend for the fee being quoted.

The market continues to move on, Schlupp is probably now worth £5m than we got for him. Palace only got him for that price due to his release clause anyway.

Townsend has only just turned 26 and has many years ahead of him. Yes it's a massive price being reported, but as I said above... what would we want for Albrighton and Gray? Can't be far off what we'd demand.

He is a decent, old fashioned winger at a good age and with a lot of Premier League experience. 

If Mahrez goes, then I think we would need to sign him PLUS another creative player. 

If Mahrez and Gray stay, then not sure he is going to get much game time. Would prefer to see Gray given his chance too.

Mahrez, Gray, Albrighton, Townsend is a tasty line-up of wingers though. Musa to be shipped out on loan or sold for a decent fee. 

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The market continues to move on, Schlupp is probably now worth £5m than we got for him. Palace only got him for that price due to his release clause anyway.

Townsend has only just turned 26 and has many years ahead of him. Yes it's a massive price being reported, but as I said above... what would we want for Albrighton and Gray? Can't be far off what we'd demand.

Gray has huge potential and we know exactly what we'll get from Albrighton.

Townsend at £27m is exactly the sort of player who I don't want. Expensive and a bang average PL player whose value will have peaked and not much potential to be anything more than bang average. 

To think we tried to buy Ousmane Dembele last year for a fee not as big as Townsend. lol

Buys like these are scouting team failures. 

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Most wingers are the same at our level, yeah his shooting can be a bit off but I think people are being incredibly harsh on the bloke.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 08.32.04.png

Albrighton wins in the shot accuracy stakes but I would say shooting is one of his weaknesses. He can get it on target but often with insufficient power.

10 minutes ago, dayday said:

To be fair they are pretty good stats 

I think he'd be a good addition, would it be about £7m too much? Maybe. But if we're getting £25m offers for Gray then we can see what the market is like. Ibe cost £15m last season and he's nowhere close to Townsend's level currently.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Add in Chadli's stats, he's always struck me as a great creator.

Great creator for definite, but is he too lazy for our play style? Everyone can mock Townsend and the fee rumoured, but he might just prove worth it if he gets stuck in and could be another player; like abrighton, we can rejuvenate.

Archived