Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonny_wright

Andros Townsend...

He's a good player but Gray and Albrighton are both better.

I think though people need to get used to the idea that Mahrez (at his best) is going to be very difficult to replace, it's very unlikely we'll bring in a player as good as him, or even a similar player. What we're probably looking at is orthodox wingers in the style of Townsend.

We need to decide whether we want a player in his prime, who will be a downgrade on Mahrez but can slot straight into the team and do a job as good as Albrighton does on a regular basis - or a young player with potential, like we did when we got Mahrez, who won't be ready to step up quite as consitently for a few seasons.

We're not going to get a proven world class talent at the drop of a hat.

Townsend, for me, is good competition in wide positions, but not necessarily a starter.

Maybe Shakey will have more faith in Gray than last season?

People shouldn't forget that a lot of our game is built on pace, so if we can't keep Mahrez, quick wingers are the next best thing.

This actually has us written all over it. We have done very well turning around a few careers that looked to be stagnating. Albrighton released, Huth wasn't playing at Stoke, Vardy from non-league, Drinkwater/James from Man Utd. Simpson, even Schmeichel had let in a load of goals the season before at Leeds. Admittedly their defense was crap. Mahrez even from ligue 2. Pretty much most of our side. 

Townsend could actually be a decent signing for us, no doubting he had huge potential, not realized yet and at 26 should be hitting his peak soon. As long as he's not a Mahrez replacement and the fee isn't much I don't see how we can lose really.

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's not bad but he'd be an underwhelming Mahrez replacement.

I think everyone who is within our price range would be an underwhelming replacement for mahrez - anyone whos in the same bracket as him will want champions league football as well as a transfer fee we probably wouldn't pay... or wages...

Archived