jonny_wright

Andros Townsend...

No, no, no.

They'll be a competition between him and Gray, who can take the most pot shots from outside the area (usually ending up in Row Z). Meanwhile Kelechi and Vardy look on with disgust...

IMG_3658.PNG

IMG_3659.PNG

Edited by RoyFox
  • Like 1
Logon to remove this advert

People won't like it but he actually fits our team requirements, a hard working winger who tracks back and can defend 

• Like 2

Wouldnt mind him here at all. Not as a Mahrez replacement mind you but I'd definately take him. Been saying for weeks that we should look at Matty Phillips and he kind of fits this mould. 

He's a good player but Gray and Albrighton are both better.

I think though people need to get used to the idea that Mahrez (at his best) is going to be very difficult to replace, it's very unlikely we'll bring in a player as good as him, or even a similar player. What we're probably looking at is orthodox wingers in the style of Townsend.

We need to decide whether we want a player in his prime, who will be a downgrade on Mahrez but can slot straight into the team and do a job as good as Albrighton does on a regular basis - or a young player with potential, like we did when we got Mahrez, who won't be ready to step up quite as consitently for a few seasons.

We're not going to get a proven world class talent at the drop of a hat.

• Like 2

I'm constantly amazed by what I read on this forum - Townsend is quality and would flourish in our system and style. Needs a bit of guidance but would be a great signing 

Townsend, for me, is good competition in wide positions, but not necessarily a starter.

Maybe Shakey will have more faith in Gray than last season?

People shouldn't forget that a lot of our game is built on pace, so if we can't keep Mahrez, quick wingers are the next best thing.

This actually has us written all over it. We have done very well turning around a few careers that looked to be stagnating. Albrighton released, Huth wasn't playing at Stoke, Vardy from non-league, Drinkwater/James from Man Utd. Simpson, even Schmeichel had let in a load of goals the season before at Leeds. Admittedly their defense was crap. Mahrez even from ligue 2. Pretty much most of our side. 

Townsend could actually be a decent signing for us, no doubting he had huge potential, not realized yet and at 26 should be hitting his peak soon. As long as he's not a Mahrez replacement and the fee isn't much I don't see how we can lose really.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's not bad but he'd be an underwhelming Mahrez replacement.

I think everyone who is within our price range would be an underwhelming replacement for mahrez - anyone whos in the same bracket as him will want champions league football as well as a transfer fee we probably wouldn't pay... or wages...

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's not bad but he'd be an underwhelming Mahrez replacement.

Totally agree but who could we realistically get on Mahrez's level?