Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Ulloa new contract

People saying he's a championship player? That's a complete piss take. Good enough for us as an aspiring European team? Probably not. But are you seriously saying he wouldn't strengthen Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley, Stoke, Swansea? 

15 minutes ago, sdb said:

People saying he's a championship player? That's a complete piss take. Good enough for us as an aspiring European team? Probably not. But are you seriously saying he wouldn't strengthen Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley, Stoke, Swansea? 

Agreed.

Look at all the players who've scored double figures for us in a Premier League season:

24 - Vardy - 15/16

17 - Mahrez - 15/16

13 - Vardy - 16/17

13 - Cottee - 99/00

12 - Ferdinand - 03/04

12 - Claridge - 96/97

11 - Ulloa - 14/15

11 - Dickov - 03/04

10 - Cottee - 98/99

10 - Heskey - 96/97

10 - Heskey - 97/98

And how every other player in that list besides Ulloa is pretty widely regarded as having been a very good player for us and how players who get 10 or 11 goals in the top flight for any side outside the top 6 can be tough to come by. We've still never had anyone net more than 13 times outside our title winning season.

Whereas I could quite easily see Ulloa grabbing 10 goals for a club like Burnley or Brighton or someone if he played every week.

Yes we've outgrown him but I agree it's harsh to call him Championship quality. I still think he'd have more than a part to play and could hit double figures  (which can be the difference between staying up and going down) in a relegation battling side.

4 minutes ago, sdb said:

Actually yes, from a starting 11 point atleast.

The guy deserves more praise and respect than he gets from the majority of fans in my opinion. Solid in his first season, and scored some crucial goals and showed some real bottle in the title winning season too. Not to mention his defensive efforts at set pieces when he's come off the bench have often been overlooked by many, and have been equally as crucial with the way some results went as his goals were.

Having said that, he's one of those players who's form and ability has fallen off a cliff as time has gone by, to the point he's no longer a premier league quality striker at any end of the table, and I mean that with tremendous respect for the guy, he just can't put himself about enough to have any real impact on the game in an advanced position, very much how Heskey went later in his career.

Does he deserve the new contract? Well yes in my opinion. That's if he's willing to cash in his cheque in return for being a 4th choice insurance policy, who's game time will be reduced to little more than cup games to rest legs. It's a similar situation to having Ben Hamer, is he good enough to be starting premier league games? no, he probably isn't. Do we need a second backup keeper if Kasper gets injured? Absolutely we do.

20 minutes ago, sdb said:

He is atrocious now, his game has declined so much from his first two seasons with us, that's the issue. No-one is questioning how useful he was those first two seasons.

16 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Look at all the players who've scored double figures for us in a Premier League season:

24 - Vardy - 15/16

17 - Mahrez - 15/16

13 - Vardy - 16/17

13 - Cottee - 99/00

12 - Ferdinand - 03/04

12 - Claridge - 96/97

11 - Ulloa - 14/15

11 - Dickov - 03/04

10 - Cottee - 98/99

10 - Heskey - 96/97

10 - Heskey - 97/98

And how every other player in that list besides Ulloa is pretty widely regarded as having been a very good player for us

These all moved on when the time was right though, it's unfair to compare. If Claridge and Cottee were offered the chance to extend their contract despite being out of choice due to age or lack of goals as it was, maybe. But they moved on. He's either got this deal to keep Iborra company (as he did with Cambiasso) or Shakespeare is looking after his mate as he is with Appleton and Hamer.

35 minutes ago, sdb said:

No, I don't think he would and 3 of them are probably championship teams.

27 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He is atrocious now, his game has declined so much from his first two seasons with us, that's the issue. No-one is questioning how useful he was those first two seasons.

Did you watch him against Atl Madrid in the 2nd half? Troubled them no end. He is great to have in the squad as he knows his place and is an option if we need him. 

Players that dont start or play  the full 90 minutes regularly invariably lose form and take some time to get back up to their previous standard.

Whether this is a case with Ulloa who knows in fact we'll probably never know unless we have a massive injury crisis.

Nobody is questioning his service to the club. First sesson he was great. Second season he scored some crucial goals and showed incredible bottle. Last season he looked so immobile and out of his depth. To give him a new contract when hrs 4th/5th choice is bizarre.

He has declined so much he no longer is Premier League standard. His form and ability has completely gone off the rails. 

Love the man. Will always cherish his goals against Norwich, Swansea and West Ham in the title winning season, and his chant is my favourite one. 

1 hour ago, Viva said:

Did you watch him against Atl Madrid in the 2nd half? Troubled them no end. He is great to have in the squad as he knows his place and is an option if we need him. 

Exactly and as I have pointed out a few times since Tuesday he was very effective in the 2nd half against Sheffield Utd and played a major  role in 3 of the 4 goals....With regard to his hissy fit last year it seems to me that his gripe was with Claudio . Any photos of him recently on training  ground or playing he seems very happy and rest of squad and back room staff look happy with him .

Surely this means that another forward is set to leave?

Unless the club have offered Slimani a new contract, as well, to make him stay but hasn't signed yet. :unsure:

It does seem strange, and quite out of the blue as well.

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Nobody is questioning his service to the club. First sesson he was great. Second season he scored some crucial goals and showed incredible bottle. Last season he looked so immobile and out of his depth. To give him a new contract when hrs 4th/5th choice is bizarre.

He has declined so much he no longer is Premier League standard. His form and ability has completely gone off the rails. 

Love the man. Will always cherish his goals against Norwich, Swansea and West Ham in the title winning season, and his chant is my favourite one. 

Assuming he is happy to be 4th/5th choice (which seems to be the case) and assuming the club is happy to have 4 or 5 strikers.  Can you name a better 5th choice in the entire division?  X

9 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Assuming he is happy to be 4th/5th choice (which seems to be the case) and assuming the club is happy to have 4 or 5 strikers.  Can you name a better 5th choice in the entire division?  X

Arsenal - Perez / Walcott

Liverpool - Ings (when fit)

I'm happy with him being 5th choice hoping that he won't actually play!

8 minutes ago, Rigga said:

Arsenal - Perez / Walcott

Liverpool - Ings (when fit)

I'm happy with him being 5th choice hoping that he won't actually play!

So we are not in bad company then? :)  I feel like probably we need 4 strikers and, in an ideal world, that would probably be Vardy, Okazaki, Iheanacho and Slimai, maybe with some development guys given some minutes.  And probably, Ulloa might be best to move on and get more game time.  However, if he is happy to stay I am all for it as I still think he is an option off the bench and, as proved in the cup, he might be useful for resting the first choice guys.  The issue, I think, is Slimani.  I really, really like him and think he would score 20 goals if started all season but he is behind Vardy and cannot do what Okazaki (and hopefully Iheanacho) can do so it is a difficult situation.  I dunno, I don't mind people thinking he should move on, just wish there was a little more class on this forum sometimes (not aimed at you, I love you). X

Archived