Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxinNotts

Sagna

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Oh great. One example.

For every good there's bad.

Cambiasso, Ferdinand great. Curtis, Howey not great.

The difference being that Curtis and Howey were just crap in general whereas Ferdinand and Cambiasso were once esteemed footballers on a global scale. Not exactly the greatest example to use as a counter argument as I would say Sagna is more of a Cambiasso then a Curtis. 

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

this has gotta be a new FT allow, judging a potential new signing on a different player who's played like twice for a different club. 

what the hell does zabaleta giving away a penalty for west ham have to do with us filling out our squad with an experienced pro for free? 

deary me. 

It was an example of a team buying an ageing player up for one last contract, it's perfect. From the side club and same position as well.

The fact Man City shipped out almost all their defence should tel us something even without his age and wage he would demand.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

It was an example of a team buying an ageing player up for one last contract, it's perfect. From the side club and same position as well.

The fact Man City shipped out almost all their defence should tel us something even without his age and wage he would demand.

They did spend 50mill on John Stones though so their judgement might not be the best barometer of how good a defender is.

2 hours ago, DelBoy73 said:

Highly experienced right back who delivered almost always solid quality seasons, on a free contrat ?

Even at 36 year old it would be a no-brainer imho, bring the fook him in !!!

He's 34 - but I agree completely. Problem at City was that Pep wanted him to involve himself in their attacks regularly, which he probably didn't have in the tank. We've got used to a system with a very disciplined right back, so I'm sure he could do a good job for us. 

13 minutes ago, Bossman Blessed It said:

He's 34 - but I agree completely. Problem at City was that Pep wanted him to involve himself in their attacks regularly, which he probably didn't have in the tank. We've got used to a system with a very disciplined right back, so I'm sure he could do a good job for us. 

I'm not sure he's disciplined

Our issue is that our RB doesn't join in attacks or support the RW going forward, if Sagna is incapable of that, then he'll add nothing beyond yet another comparitively expensive squad player blocking the way for our dev squad players to break through 

I'd definitely sign him. It would not only fill an obvious need, but it would show how serious we are about pushing for top-6 and Europe. I understand why people want someone younger, but we aren't finding anyone younger who is better, or who has the potential to be better this season. Not with the transfer window closed, at any rate. Beggars can't be choosers, and besides, it would be an unexpected coup to pull a player Shakey could trust from day 1 out there.

People who are comparing this to Zabaleta are forgetting one major difference in the two... The Zaba was signed as a starting RB. The go to guy.  Plan A. Sagna would be back up. Covering our bases. A "just in case". 

They are two completely different situations. 

It really comes down to this... Would you rather Amartey or Sagna at RB? Give me the experienced, former PL winning right back and french international every day of the week. 

8 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Oh great. One example.

For every good there's bad.

Cambiasso, Ferdinand great. Curtis, Howey not great.

Cambiasso came to us having played at the top - like Sagna, at the age of 34.

Ferdinand was 37 when he came to us.

41 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Would be a great signing. He's better than Simpson. 

I don't think he is better than Simpson currently. Simpson is an undervalued and underappreciated player, and I've actually got a bit of a soft spot for the bloke because I was amongst the biggest critics of him signing but he has managed to swerve my opinion about him to the point where I believe he has been unlucky not to get an England call up during his tenure with the club. He proved me wrong and I respect that.

Sagna would be good cover though in my opinion, so for that reason I'm in. 

I understand why people want to avoid this kind of signing, but aside from the money we would spend on his wages I don't really see too much of a downside. He wouldn't automatically be first choice but there would be the opportunity for him to start games if he looked the better option in training.

I'd rather we look long term and try and develop a youngster but I don't think we can really complain that much having Sagna as our back up RB. We could do a lot worse.

33 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

He's probably on a massive wage, not sure but he could be even close to our highest earners, and not sure if he can improve his area of the pitch.

He's on no wage right now. He'd be lucky to stay in the Prem and get a 60k wage at his age. 

We need decent cover at RB and he certainly can offer that for a year. 

A good option IMO.

On 04/09/2017 at 13:36, inckley fox said:

Sidelining a 22 year-old (in Amartey) and a bunch of teenagers (Johnson and Knight) is fine, if they're not good enough or not ready, but when the current incumbent in the right back role is 30, and your squad is one of the oldest in the division, you should really be looking at opportunities to nurture a replacement. It depends whether our long-term strategy is to have a veteran line-up that needs major surgery year-in year-out, or a squad through which youth can graduate, and which evolves over time.

Is this signing and that really incompatible? Not sure what sort of player Darnell Johnson is but having an attacking fullback like sagna to tutor could work well - that was essentially the point of Powell  (tutor mattock) and to a lesser extent Edworthy (for gilbert and morrison) when we were in league one after all.

24 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Is this signing and that really incompatible? Not sure what sort of player Darnell Johnson is but having an attacking fullback like sagna to tutor could work well - that was essentially the point of Powell  (tutor mattock) and to a lesser extent Edworthy (for gilbert and morrison) when we were in league one after all.

That's a very good point, but I think the difference this time is that we already have a league-winning full back to tutor him. Plus if we have faith that, say, Johnson or Amartey can grow into the role, I'd argue that - without a loan in the offing - game-time is at some point going to be necessary.

Archived