Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxinNotts

Sagna

8 hours ago, STUHILL said:

I'd take him on 1 year contract. He was a top RB, and only just left City in the summer. Still has a lot of quality and something to offer, even as a bit part player.

I'm not that keen on Amartey at RB, so this would be a decent signing if Simpson ever got injured etc and could even push him for a starting place. 

People moaning about potential 50-60k wages like we are poor and it's their own money. Billionaire owners plus millions TV/Sponsorship deal ring a bell?.. :rolleyes:  

Exactly right.  He has played at the highest level with top teams in the PL and on a short term deal would be a great option.  Not like we are committing the future to him.  He is a high value Free agent, what is not to like about this if true.

58 minutes ago, Callabinho said:

Can't say no to this on free, ****ing hell some of you would be shit managers! Hardly like he will be expected to come in and change the world..... as backup you can't go far wrong, give the kid a contract.

What a weird thing to judge a person who is never going to be a football manager on.

48 minutes ago, Hack said:

Exactly right.  He has played at the highest level with top teams in the PL and on a short term deal would be a great option.  Not like we are committing the future to him.  He is a high value Free agent, what is not to like about this if true.

Depends how long a contract he wants. If he is after 2 or 3 years then it could turn out to be a waste of money. I'd rather be starting with Simpson, so he would only be used as back up. 

All for this signing, experienced premier league player, as a back up to Simpson in case of injury. As well with his experience and knowledge, isn't a bad head to have around the place, showing some of his experience to other players, especially the younger players

50 minutes ago, Blodge said:

Always rated Sagna highly. Fantastic experience, can whip a superb cross in, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41144356comfortable on the ball. Definitely some much needed competition for Simpson. Could even be a mentor to him. 

Gerrimin

25 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Tempting, more attack minded than Simpson but he can't cross to save his life. Would look for a younger alternative though.

:huh:

50 minutes ago, Blodge said:

Always rated Sagna highly. Fantastic experience, can whip a superb cross in, comfortable on the ball. Definitely some much needed competition for Simpson. Could even be a mentor to him. 

Gerrimin

24 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Tempting, more attack minded than Simpson but he can't cross to save his life. Would look for a younger alternative though.

Which of you is right I wonder.

I'm really struggling to understand why people DON'T think this a good idea?

Pro's:

1) we get someone in as cover for the one position where we currently have none

2) we won't have to play kids or out of position players when Simmo gets injured

3) he's a quality player, with proven premier league experience,

4) we can get him in now since he's a free agent

5) minimal cost

Cons:

1) He's > 30 

2) we sit on a slightly smaller pile of cash

3) errr, that's it

52 minutes ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Which of you is right I wonder.

Aha, I'm only speaking from what I have seen of him - always thought he could put a good ball in. Although when you have Giroud to aim for, it's arguably easier than aiming for the likes of Vardy of Shinji.

Arsenal fans seem to agree that his crossing was very good: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunners/comments/23e10e/sagnas_crossing/

20 minutes ago, Sublime_Coatsworth said:

I'm really struggling to understand why people DON'T think this a good idea?

Pro's:

1) we get someone in as cover for the one position where we currently have none

2) we won't have to play kids or out of position players when Simmo gets injured

3) he's a quality player, with proven premier league experience,

4) we can get him in now since he's a free agent

5) minimal cost

Cons:

1) He's > 30 

2) we sit on a slightly smaller pile of cash

3) errr, that's it

It's certainly not as clear cut as you make out. Would you have snapped up Mathieu Flamini last season? Similar type of player. Didn't exactly pull up trees at Palace. If we had given him a two year contract for example it would have been throwing money down the toilet. Sagna is 34, which is getting on for a right back. He used to be a quality player, but that doesn't guarantee he still is. I wouldn't be against a one year deal, but any more and no chance.  

1 hour ago, Blodge said:

Always rated Sagna highly. Fantastic experience, can whip a superb cross in, comfortable on the ball. Definitely some much needed competition for Simpson. Could even be a mentor to him. 

Gerrimin

Mentor to Simpson?

Simpson is 31 on the 4th of January. What Simpson lacks now as a player he's never going to improve it. 7yrs at OT 4yrs at Newcastle should have made him better sagna won't improve him now he's no kid.

Btw I've not said that because I'm slagging him down. He's very underated at this club by many. He is what he is a solid defender and never really let us down. Infact on the whole season last year I think he was our best outfield player.

But sorry he ain't no flying wing back and never will be.

Sign him till the end of the season - why not? Given the way we play he won't be asked to make lung bursting runs down the wing so I think his physical condition is not that big an issue. A french international with a title winners medal and experience at the very top. If Simmo plays well all season and he never gets a game, then he goes at the end of the season and we lose nothing.

I don't think getting another RB is a must, but it's the one area in the squad that we could do with additional depth in.

Archived