Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 minute ago, Corky said:

The ECB are probably dreaming up a Basecricket combination to attract millions of new fans at the moment.

Presumably a version where the number of goes you get bears no relation to any, even tenuous, understanding of the prior game.

18 minutes ago, CarbonVirtine said:

Most popular comedians are not funny.

Agreed. I think you have to be a certain, family friendly, type of comedian to be put in the prime time slots that gain you popularly.

There's very, very few stand-up comedians who are genuinely funny really. I just don;t think the format works as well as comedy tv shows really. Especially seeing as so many comedians these days want to be philisophers or political commentators and I've yet to see a stand-up comedian with anything genuinely interesting to say on that front.

On 06/05/2018 at 20:20, FIF said:

Humour/comedy is such a personal thing.

Exactly. Comedy is one of the hardest things to take people's criticisms of. Look at Mrs Brown's Boys. Almost universally slated on the internet, yet raked in eight figures at peak. Now I'm going to assume people weren't tuning in just to pick fault with it...

I tend to find with the "popular" comedians that they overdo themselves. They become very popular with a stand up show, then that snowballs into panel appearances, stand up skits in chat shows, another tour, their own TV show and suddenly they've over exposed themselves. Same joke, and modified to death.

That's why, whatever you think of Peter Kay, he's done his career the right way. Limits his TV appearances and writes his own material. Tours aren't every year, they're almost a rare event and the stuff is gold. He's diversified his TV content over the years and not burnt himself out like, say Michael McIntryre or John Bishop has. Lots of credence in the fact they become very family friendly too, and if that deviates from their original material it can be an unwelcome culture shock!

But on the whole comedians/comedy/sitcoms are so subjective. Some are great stand ups but rubbish on panel shows, where they have to think on their feet and can't rehash the same material over and over again.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Don't know whether it's unpopular but female comedians are not funny. Can't understand the obsession with sue perkins. I did like victoria wood and caroline aherne but in the modern era I just don't find them funny. 

I'd say it's more appeasement than obsession. 

I don't know anyone that actually finds her funny. She had some cheek to base her "routine" around sexist men, when the only reason she got the gig was because she's a woman. Weirdly, Mel Giedrojc is actually much funnier than her. Mind you, so are ISIS.

15 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Don't know whether it's unpopular but female comedians are not funny. Can't understand the obsession with sue perkins. I did like victoria wood and caroline aherne but in the modern era I just don't find them funny. 

I don't particularly like many of the older generation of female comics, mainly because they had to rely on generic anti male routines, much of that was probably down tho the era they existed in though. There are some fantastic ones in the current crop though like Sara Pascoe and Aisling Bea; Katherine Ryan can be great too if not a little OTT. I think female comics have changed massively in the past decade or so because of the range of topics they can get away with, subjects that they couldn't have done before. 

There are as many unfunny male as female, but females often get tarred with the same brush on the basis that somebody doesn't like one and therefore writes off anybody with a vulva. You generally wouldn't say that all male comics aren't funny because you don't like Michael Mcintyre or Jimmy Carr, but women are often written off as comics on the basis that somebody doesn't like Sarah Millican or Miranda (I generally can't tolerate either of them).

Anyway, not an attack on you, just a general observation :D.

• Like 2