Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

4 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The Catholic monarch is definitely true. I'm sure Blair converted after he retired tho? 

Looking online, there seems to be some confusion over it.

Although there isn't a law specifically against it, the problem seems to be that the PM has some kind of say in the running of the CoE. Interesting stuff.

Guest MattP
6 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The Catholic monarch is definitely true. I'm sure Blair converted after he retired tho? 

Can't imagine what he needed to confess. 

JRM would really struggle to win an election, even v Corbyn. Farron got hounded for his views (maybe different because he tried to hide them), let alone someone that would actually have a chance of leading a government. Whereas in America you almost have to prove you're religious to get elected, here you have to prove you're not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the fox said:

"Men don't cry" is one of the worst taboos ever! There is no shame in shedding a tear. At least you are acknowledging those feelings instead of letting them eat you inside.

Depends on what they're crying about. I do think this country has become too emotionally incontinent. You only have to look at the sob stories on X-Factor and BGT, with contestants trying to excuse a shit performance by turning on the waterworks "cus Nan's in hospital having an ingrowing toenail removed".

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Depends on what they're crying about. I do think this country has become too emotionally incontinent. You only have to look at the sob stories on X-Factor and BGT, with contestants trying to excuse a shit performance by turning on the waterworks "cus Nan's in hospital having an ingrowing toenail removed".

I think (imo) that if you need to cry you should just do it but yeah, don't try to make it an excuse for your shortcomings.

I don't like to project so I truly think that not all people have the same standards/threshold. I am not a huge fan of people crying in public. crying is supposed to be a thing reserved for you and you alone. Just sit down alone and let it rain lol Some things may seem small but if they are weighing on your shoulders and you feel like crying, go ahead. Just make sure that you are alone.

Edited by the fox
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I agree: stiff upper lip and all that.

In the aftermath of the London bombings, they interviewed a city gent. His suit was covered in dust and a bit of blood was trickling down his face. They asked him what he thought about the terrorists.  He said it is far to early to speculate on who or what caused all this,  now if you'll excuse me I need to get to the office,  I am running late.

Tall about Keep Calm and Carry On. The yanks would  have been blubbering.

5 minutes ago, the fox said:

I think (imo) that if you need to cry you should just do it but yeah, don't try to make it an excuse for your shortcomings.

I don't like to project so I truly think that not all people have the same standards/threshold. I am not a huge fan of people crying in public. crying is supposed to be a thing reserved for you and you alone. Just sit down alone and let it rain lol Some things may seem small but if they are weighing on your shoulders and you feel like crying, go ahead. Just make sure that you are alone.

I can remember at the final whistle of the epic 4-3 playoff defeat to Swindon, getting up and going to the toilet, locking the door, and having a sob. I just couldn't cry in front of my Dad. I've never seen my Dad cry, so I feel he must never see me cry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I can remember at the final whistle of the epic 4-3 playoff defeat to Swindon, getting up and going to the toilet, locking the door, and having a sob. I just couldn't cry in front of my Dad. I've never seen my Dad cry, so I feel he must never see me cry.

There you've mentioned it. Out comes the video. Tommo's equaliser still gives me goose bumps.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
31 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I agree with this, I could never bawl at X-Factor etc but can't stop crying when I watch the end to a film like It's a Wonderful Life.

Guest MattP
Just now, Free Falling Foxes said:

There you've mentioned it. Out comes the video. Tommo's equaliser still gives me goose bumps.

I was about 9 at that game and I still remember that vividly. Atmosphere was sensational.

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 17:50, StanSP said:

Unbelievable, they have a dossier on them. Clearly the same person as it's the same username "Miss Jac" on the other forums.

That's really creepy.

I've seen Green Mile probably 4 or 5 times before but bawled at it for the first time over Christmas last year bizarrely, besides that I recon I've only cried when people I know have passed away over the last 5 years

Edited by Wookie

13 hours ago, MattP said:

I was about 9 at that game and I still remember that vividly. Atmosphere was sensational.

I always imagined you to be in your 50s. Turns out you're younger than me!

Guest MattP
35 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I always imagined you to be in your 50s. Turns out you're younger than me!

Thanks mate I always take sounding older as a compliment. 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Thanks mate I always take sounding older as a compliment. 

I wouldn't when it means you've missed out the young, idealistic stage and gone straight to old fogey tory boy. What happened to you? :P